Old 01-20-2020, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The PDGA is the only disc golf body keeping track of tournament play. There are a whole lot more tournaments going on.

I fall into the "I don't care about par" crowd.

It seems as if you will find some enjoyment in this thread. Maybe it covers your talking points, I would not know.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...&highlight=par
Yeah. Read it, and report back.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM
Par Member

Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm not a golfer, but I've been told that this is not true.
You are correct. The scoring spread (Handicap/Rating) of Golf varies depending on course difficulty.

USGA - Course Handicap = Handicap Index x Slope Rating / 113

The Handicap is similar to our Rating - The Slope Rating is similar to our SSA, to a degree.

The Slope Rating is the "difficulty" of the course calculated with Scratch golfers and Bogey golfers used as tools for calculations.

Scratch golfer is similar to our 1000 Rated player, also to a smaller degree.
Scratch golfer is expected to shoot even par for each course. 1000 Rated player sets a certain standard to measure against all other players on disc golf courses, I believe.
Bogey golfers = 18 Handicap (+1 per hole x 18).

The above is a basic description, I am sure it is more nuanced, but this should be enough to get the idea.

Small brag - I was once a single digit handicap golfer - (It was 9, but still only one digit).

Last edited by Chains Bailey; 01-20-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 74
Niced 205 Times in 64 Posts

Seriously, someone in this discussion...

Tell me why it matters whether hole 2 at Northwoods is a par 3 or a par 4?

I don't get it...

It it just a lust for achieving a birdie?

Tell me why I should care about more than raw score...I don't get it....and I was an avid ball golfer for 30 years before I even discovered disc golf...and felt the same....par for a hold is a subjective thing....score on a hole (or course) is not....so, in my opinion matters a lot more...
Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 313 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
There is so much obsession about par on this board...in my opinion, it is almost irrelevant...who cares?...why the fixation in a number above or below par...a bidie or a par....it is raw score that matters....I shoot 75 and I know how I played regardless of what that means in terms if par...if i make a 3 on a tough long hole, I honestly don't care whether that means birdie or par...it is an awesome 3....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
The PDGA is the only disc golf body keeping track of tournament play. There are a whole lot more tournaments going on.

I fall into the "I don't care about par" crowd.

It seems as if you will find some enjoyment in this thread. Maybe it covers your talking points, I would not know.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...&highlight=par
Quote:

I don't get it...

Tell me why I should care about more than raw score...I don't get it....and I was an avid ball golfer for 30 years before I even discovered disc golf...and felt the same....par for a hold is a subjective thing....score on a hole (or course) is not....so, in my opinion matters a lot more...

OK, Todd, I'll find out if when you use the word "seriously", if you really are.

The answer is that for YOU or any INDIVIDUAL player -- you might be correct; only the raw score at the end of the day matters. BUT IF (pretell) we want our sport to develop into a viable spectator sport, then par clearly matters. The fan experience includes keeping up with who is ahead of whom and what certain teams or athletes need to do along to the way to catch, hold-off, tie, defeat, etc., an opponent. We would never watch a football game or a tennis match or a diving competition, without the scoreboard DURING the event giving us some sense of where teams or players are as compared to one another. It just wouldn't make sense. (I mean would we say, "...I think it feels like KC scored three touchdowns during the half and Tennessee is trailing them; I really can't be sure"? [without a scoreboard]) Hence, a sport that is scored like ours needs the accurate par and and +/- par measure for each player for FANS to assess that and be properly informed and bought in to that experience. Our cousin, ball golf, uses +/- par because it wouldn't make sense to fans saying Tiger is at 46 right now whereas Brooks is at 51. As fans that is not as compelling as Tiger is at -8 overall and Brooks is at -10. No way to compare the 46 & 51 except on the out chance they happen to be in the same grouping. Otherwise, we need an accurate par measure. It tells us what will happen if "X" player performs "X"-ly on which holes.

Now, toddnick, tell me you don't care about that, and I understand. But please recall you prefaced this question with "seriously."

Old 01-21-2020, 12:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,349 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:

I don't get it...

If you are playing stoke play, it really doesn't. Should you be playing Stableford or modified Stableford rules, it matters alot.
.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stableford
Old 01-21-2020, 01:58 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts

I do think in Disc Golf with how easy it is to have disc golf courses having a hole at 200 feet or under that a New player can then Disc Golf takes less work to do then say a Ball Golf or Foot Golf course where the course needs to be open with edges more the trees and stuff after the rough, even true of highland style golf or old Hill Golf courses. this means a par 2 is needed if we are going to keep courses the same. Another way having seen this on Mini golf and Golf courses is to have different par her handicap and for Disc golf, per rating if they know that.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-21-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:03 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 76 Times in 38 Posts

It's a shame we force ourselves to use integers. Having something be a Par 3.3 or 4.1 or something would be ideal to me. But one of the nice things about disc golf is we don't have to take par too seriously. And again on the other hand, for disc golf to grow it needs the concept of par so that it can also have the concept of "birdie" and "bogey." Humans are weird, but disc golf forgives us for it.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,034 Times in 665 Posts

Good luck shooting a 3.2 on a par 3.3 hole

Niced: (2)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:

I don't get it...

The answer is, you shouldn't care.

It has no value for you.

But for someone who is a spectator---or a promotor, hoping for more spectators---well, araytx pretty well covered that.

There are other benefits to a well-set and consistent system of par, as well.

If you're a tournament player and want to judge where you stand against someone on another hole--or another course, in a multi-pool event---it gives a measure that a running total of strokes cannot.

If you're a casual player who wants to compare scores on different courses, where total strokes are meaningless, it is roughly portable.

If you're a casual player and want an easier way to keep your score during the round, without a scorecard or app and with very little math, par gives you that standard; your running score only changes on holes that you don't par, and then (hopefully) by very little.

If you decide that, with our history and ancestry from golf, we're destined to have par, it might be worth the effort to make it as accurate and useful as possible.

If none of those apply to you, you shouldn't care. Heck, you should care so little that you can avoid discussions of par, entirely.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 74
Niced 205 Times in 64 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I can see from a spectators perspective that having a par assigned makes it easier to understand where players (who have finished a different number of holes on a tournament round) stand against each other as the round is going on.

After the round is over for all the participants, to me raw score is just as acceptable. McBeth (54), Wysocki (55)...just as good as...McBeth (-6) vs. Wysocki (-5).

I have never concerned myself with par, in fact, I have no idea what the assigned par is on certain holes at courses I've played many times.

Also, if par is so important to be consistent then why do people just blow off these assigned pars on certain courses and just say that every hole is a par 3...it makes it easier to tally, but it says that the assigned par really doesn't matter.