Old 11-01-2020, 05:48 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 271 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I watched a video from DD where the conclusion was beating up your disc prematurely (in any fashion) to make it fly more like a beat in disc is 100% legal.
Got a link?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2020, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,665 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Got a link?
My op: "I watched a video from DD where the conclusion was beating up your disc prematurely (in any fashion) to make it fly more like a beat in disc is 100% legal."

Disclaimer: I should have typed earlier, "I watched a video from DD where MY conclusion was beating up your disc prematurely (in any fashion) to make it fly more like a beat in disc is 100% legal."

Robert talks about folding (taco'ing) his disc to make it fly like a beat in disc. Which is something I never did before, but after watching this video and seeing at least one pro bend his disc before he throws in a recent tournament, yep... taco'ing the disc works. Putting the disc in a dryer, throwing it on brick walls, etc, meh... that seems a bit extreme. lol...

I also did more research after watching that video. This is certainly a grey area, but after reading the PDGA rules and seeing alot of user's comment on the subject, it seems like as long as the resulting flight path of the disc after beating it in, does not stray too far away from the intended flight path of the disc, you're good.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 271 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
My op: "I watched a video from DD where the conclusion was beating up your disc prematurely (in any fashion) to make it fly more like a beat in disc is 100% legal."

Disclaimer: I should have typed earlier, "I watched a video from DD where MY conclusion was beating up your disc prematurely (in any fashion) to make it fly more like a beat in disc is 100% legal."

Robert talks about folding (taco'ing) his disc to make it fly like a beat in disc. Which is something I never did before, but after watching this video and seeing at least one pro bend his disc before he throws in a recent tournament, yep... taco'ing the disc works. Putting the disc in a dryer, throwing it on brick walls, etc, meh... that seems a bit extreme. lol...

I also did more research after watching that video. This is certainly a grey area, but after reading the PDGA rules and seeing alot of user's comment on the subject, it seems like as long as the resulting flight path of the disc after beating it in, does not stray too far away from the intended flight path of the disc, you're good.
I think Steve's explanation is the correct one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
The rules say: "such that its original flight characteristics have been altered". It does not offer safe harbor of: no more than if it had been played with.

If a disc has been laser-etched such that it flies exactly like a beat-in disc, that would be an illegal disc because of the method of modification.

The only legal ways to alter the original flight characteristics are "wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes".

(Note you can't sand a disc for the purpose of altering the flight characteristics; you can only sand to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. If that happens to alter the flight characteristics, OK. Sand more, or for any other reason, illegal.)
But in practical terms is anyone going to be able to tell if you beat up your disc in a tumble dryer or by throwing multiple rounds?

Old 11-01-2020, 09:29 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,756 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
I think Steve's explanation is the correct one.

But in practical terms is anyone going to be able to tell if you beat up your disc in a tumble dryer or by throwing multiple rounds?
I'll know. I won't tell the TD, but I'll needle the heck out of you about...just to get your head.

Niced: (1)