Old 04-14-2017, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 862 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post

I just don't get their "approach" on this. There are completely missing the point of a weighted overmold and WHY ppl choose to throw them.
You probably shouldn't buy these.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 05:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

MVP's patent is still pending. It may or may not ever be granted (patents get denied all the time for a variety of factors). Here is the patent application: https://www.google.com/patents/US20120322336

Gateway has always been willing to play a little fast and loose with others' intellectual property as well, so they probably don't care all that much. If MVP sued them, they would just stop making overmolds of different densities and settle the lawsuit for some amount of money based on how many they actually sold (probably not very many). Latitude may actually think that overmold density doesn't matter or they may be looking forward to a future where MVP's patent is granted and not want to deal with potential litigation or licensing fees.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 87 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
MVP's patent is still pending. It may or may not ever be granted (patents get denied all the time for a variety of factors). Here is the patent application: https://www.google.com/patents/US20120322336

Gateway has always been willing to play a little fast and loose with others' intellectual property as well, so they probably don't care all that much. If MVP sued them, they would just stop making overmolds of different densities and settle the lawsuit for some amount of money based on how many they actually sold (probably not very many). Latitude may actually think that overmold density doesn't matter or they may be looking forward to a future where MVP's patent is granted and not want to deal with potential litigation or licensing fees.
Apple patented the hell out of the iPhone, but that didn't stop nealy every manufacturer from ripping them off. Samsung got a slap on the wrist, but you expect cease and desist type enforcement IF MVP get the patent, well, rotsa ruck.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTuffskins View Post
Apple patented the hell out of the iPhone, but that didn't stop nealy every manufacturer from ripping them off. Samsung got a slap on the wrist, but you expect cease and desist type enforcement IF MVP get the patent, well, rotsa ruck.
Yep and fortunately this is probably a lot more cut and dry than Apple's "trade dress" lawsuit against Samsung (however obvious it seems to consumers that Samsung ripped off Apple, the actual legalities of it weren't). I would agree that MVP would most likely start by sending cease and desist letters (for example, to Gateway). I seriously doubt they would actually sue for damages unless Gateway refused to comply. Lawsuits can drag on a long time and cost a lot of money. And if they ended up winning and putting Gateway out of business because of legal fees and damages, that could only damage MVP's own reputation with consumers.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,102 Times in 711 Posts

It would be hard to litigate against Gateway since they had molded overmolds for other companies before MVP was around. The Graboid and URLD were both molded by Gateway at points in their life IIRC.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
It would be hard to litigate against Gateway since they had molded overmolds for other companies before MVP was around. The Graboid and URLD were both molded by Gateway at points in their life IIRC.
The patent isn't just on an overmold. Those were definitely around before MVP and a generic overmold patent would never be granted by the patent office because of prior art. The patent is all about the density of the overmold vs. the flight plate. It calls out very specific density ranges (or "specific gravities") for both the overmold and flight plate.

So for MVP to sue Gateway (assuming the patent was granted), they would have to show that Gateway's discs violated their patent, meaning the flight plate and overmold had different densities in the ranges called out in the patent. If Gateway wanted to get the lawsuit thrown out, one strategy would be to invalidate the patent based on prior art. If they could prove that the Graboid or URLD had flight plate and overmold densities in the ranges of the patent, then it would invalidate the patent because of prior art.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Actually MVPs patent includes many different things if i recall from embedded stuff to materials etc. I looked it up and posted it all once b4. Its not "just gyro" as i understood it but that is their trademark. I could be wrong and careless about looking for it but the info is out there vs speculation.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Actually MVPs patent includes many different things if i recall from embedded stuff to materials etc. I looked it up and posted it all once b4. Its not "just gyro" as i understood it but that is their trademark. I could be wrong and careless about looking for it but the info is out there vs speculation.
I wasn't speculating, I posted the link to the patent application a few posts ago. I've read a fair amount of it before. You have to remember when reading it that patents are generally narrow. Only discs falling under all the very specific criteria of the patent are covered by it. It's certainly not a patent on all overmolds (which would be impossible since MVP didn't invent them).

Niced: (1)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Invent vs patent and trademark are different beasts. Innova has made mad loot on what you're taking about.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 04-15-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Invent vs patent and trademark are different beasts. Innova has made mad loot on what you're taking about.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Innova has, as far as I can tell, 5 patents, 3 on disc design and 2 on basket design. Dave Dunipace DID invent certain aspects of the modern flying disc and patented them and profited from those patents until they ran out (which they all have). If he had not invented them, I'm sure his patents would have been invalidated in court because other disc companies would have loved to use those designs back then. That's what patents are for: allowing inventors to profit from their inventions. MVP would like to profit from its invention so it has filed for a patent. But MVP did not invent the overmold or the beveled-edged flying disc. It invented something much more specific which is what it is trying to patent.

Niced: (2)