Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,452 Times in 746 Posts

What shots are you struggling with using your current setup?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 466 Times in 283 Posts

Try a JLS, either quantum or millennium plastic. QJLS is a great stable driver, with a mild/moderate fade that breaks in to laser straight line holding goodness. Millennium (driver pro) JLS are straight out of the box with mild fade and break in to good turnover drivers.

JLS is an often overlooked fairway that can truly be a workhorse. They are sneaky long, medium glide, lasers that can cover dang near anything but the most overstable lines.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 144 Times in 94 Posts

You got another Valkyrie vote. I used to throw them a lot for shorter tee shots and fairway driver. It's kind of a tweener between a DD and a FD these days. Personally I'd say step up to champion so you get a longer life out of it. Also a Viking could be a good choice, slower speed and good stability but definately not overkill for a less experience arm. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Try a JLS, either quantum or millennium plastic. QJLS is a great stable driver, with a mild/moderate fade that breaks in to laser straight line holding goodness. Millennium (driver pro) JLS are straight out of the box with mild fade and break in to good turnover drivers.

JLS is an often overlooked fairway that can truly be a workhorse. They are sneaky long, medium glide, lasers that can cover dang near anything but the most overstable lines.
I really like the JLS love (we're a rare breed for sure), but I wonder, at his distances, if it wouldn't overlap a bit too much with the Cheetah. I'm waiting to hear back what he thinks he's missing from his game, but I was thinking a Banshee and then adding a JLS when the Cheetah starts becoming a turnover machine.

My other thought was a Gator. It'll be nice and overstable for a long time so it won't overlap with the Shark.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 15
Niced 466 Times in 283 Posts

I have a couple QJLS that are more or less TL stable. That's what I was thinking of with the suggestion. The couple I have, granted they are older runs, are really just straight to medium fade. I haven't thrown a cheetah in a while, but that was my driver for a while when I first started, and if I recall it's fairly understable. I was thinking the cheetah probably turns over, and I don't think a QJ will as easy at that power.

Though you are right, it's all just blind suggestion without knowing what the OP feels they can't accomplish with current setup.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 12
Niced 54 Times in 31 Posts

Gold Line River and smooth form.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
What shots are you struggling with using your current setup?
The fade shots. Seems like the couple courses that I play in the Cincy area have a lot of them!

Last edited by Jbultman; 04-27-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 87 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
Gold Line River and smooth form.
Not a bad suggestion that.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Is your Cheetah a straight flyer for you or a flipper? If it's a straight flyer, I'd suggest a Banshee since you want to stick with DX. If it flips, the JLS is a great option as thirtydirtybirds mentioned. I've already said all this above, but a Gator would be a nice overstable complement to your Shark.

Cincy's a nice area to learn to throw. Have you been to the Nati Pro Shop at Airy? Both owners of the shop (Jason and Adam) are great guys and could probably help tidy your form up with a quick look/lesson. You'd probably gain 50' of distance from it too...

Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Par Member

Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Is your Cheetah a straight flyer for you or a flipper? If it's a straight flyer, I'd suggest a Banshee since you want to stick with DX. If it flips, the JLS is a great option as thirtydirtybirds mentioned. I've already said all this above, but a Gator would be a nice overstable complement to your Shark.

Cincy's a nice area to learn to throw. Have you been to the Nati Pro Shop at Airy? Both owners of the shop (Jason and Adam) are great guys and could probably help tidy your form up with a quick look/lesson. You'd probably gain 50' of distance from it too...

What's more reliable and durable DX or champion, star or other? I'd be willing to spend more if it's worth it.

The Cheetah is pretty straight for me. Though it does flip a little at the end. I'll check out the gator. Would it be worth while to get that one too?

I haven't been, my. Airy is about 45 minutes for me from where I'm at. I manily play Mason sports park, Johnson hills, and Osage Grove.