Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 44.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Question about rollers.

Can you consistently roll different lines with one disc, or do you use different disc for different lines.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts

I always used the same model of disc for rollers when I rolled a lot. Would decide I was rolling the hole and grabbed a Stingray. Didn't matter what line I wanted.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Rollers are really no different than air shots in how the line is achieved. Think of putting the disc down with more angle and later as throwing with more hyzer while a straighter angle and earlier contact to the ground being more of a anhyzer. The overall speed and stability of the disc will dictate where it finishes for you.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 16
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

Different discs for different lines, absolutely. Teebirds and tesla and h1 get typical roller duty. I use two finger rollers, like throwing a baseball at the ground. Roc and aviar if I need to end up right immediately without tipping over too fast. Rounded rims get you good lateral distance closer to you, but by and large I could swap the tesla and teebird but not the h1. Stability and rim config dictate what a disc will excel at for rolling, but as usual you can work with what you've got.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Suspect for forehand and cut rollers, A champion panther is my straightest most controllable woods backhand roller and a beat Star Valkyrie is currently my longest roller.

Could never roll super understable discs, (Mamba, Roadrunner) worth crap, they just zig-zag back and forth and I never know where they're going to end up.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 44.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFL View Post
I always used the same model of disc for rollers when I rolled a lot. Would decide I was rolling the hole and grabbed a Stingray. Didn't matter what line I wanted.
Yeah, that's the way I did it too back in the day, haven't rolled in a long time and don't have a Stingray any more. Hard disc to find around here, to oldschool I guess. I bagged a Mamba the other day and decided to roll it on two holes. Wow, that thing rolled 60ft farther than my longest drives on those holes, so i'll be workin on my roll. Was just curious what others do.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Champ Max is my primary and I change more for distance than line. Pro Firebird & KC Banshee at times.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion is based on almost purely forehand/cut rollers, but I do use a few different discs for different lines. Champ Teebird for longer stuff that will eventually finish left. Beat Star Firebird for a little shorter/further left shots, and a beefy Gstar Firebird for the "Go Left Right Now" rollers.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 199 Times in 113 Posts

I stumbled on an old video (like really old) of a guy throwing a thumb roller with an old Wham-O. Unfortunatley I can't find the link now.

Anyways, that and my typical high arching rainbow roller allowed me to use the same two discs (TP Sorcerer and Icon Patriot, depending on distance and potential obstacles)on varying roller lines. The only time I vary that is forehand rollers, where I use a C-PD, and prior to that a Neutron Motion or domey Firebird. I use forehand rollers for the same lines as thumb rollers, but it allows me to put more stank on it.

Don't know if that answers your question, OP. I don't throw a lot of rollers, honestly. Really depends on the course. This weekend I'll probably throw a lot at Sakuna Pines.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
This weekend I'll probably throw a lot at Sakuna Pines.
I am curious where you plan to throw them at Sakuna. All I ever did with a roller at Sakuna is get in trouble.

The general theory is that you can throw any kind of roller with any disc but generally distance will depend on wheye the roiling edge of the disc is on the profile. An overstable disc generally has the rolling edge closer to the top of the disc keeping it from wanting to land on its top as much as possible. This allows for straighter shot in general but may hinder distance. That may seem awkward but it is true. Under stable discs tend to have the rolling edge closer to the bottom putting most of the weight on the top of the disc making it want to fall over on its top more easily. This will allow you to potentially get more distance as you can put it on an angle that will then force it to travel a long way before it falls over on its top. More distance but also a lot less control potential. I have thrown rollers with most of the discs in my bag. It really is situational.

If you can find video of Randy Lahm throwing a roller, it is amazing. Then again the guy does hold the roller distance record, thrown with an Aviar apparently. Way longer than Simon has ever thrown an air shot. 1156.00 meters. Take that. Randy is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Wish he played more.