Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

I am in favor of throwing as slow of a disc as possible. I have good arm speed, but get more consistent results out of slower discs. I do not think a teebird is a great distance disc for most players, however it has its uses for almost all players. A stable to understable disc(like an FD) is a better choice for most players. Simon actually came out in the Brodie Smith video and said distance drivers(assuming speed greater than 9) were useless to 90% of all players. Paul referenced how Simon was hurting his advertising game. This was good advice and even for me I find a Thunderbird provides more birdies than throwing a Cloudbreaker, but man those last 30-40 feet feel so good.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks all. I do have FDs for my fairway under stable slot and champ teebirds for fairway stable. Hyzer flip on an FD is alsmost as long as Hyzers flip on the Heat.

Artemis, thanks, just what I was looking for. Trying not to spend too much looking for something that may only get me 20-30 feet more....

I ended up at the disc shop today and talked to the owner for awhile....Tern, Thrasher, Mystere were discussed, but he ended up telling me that I shouldn’t go up too much in speed even if it was under stable, he also said a number of people in my situation have really liked the MVP Wave. I got one of those to try....maybe will get to throw it tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 707 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
Thanks all. I do have FDs for my fairway under stable slot and champ teebirds for fairway stable. Hyzer flip on an FD is alsmost as long as Hyzers flip on the Heat.

Artemis, thanks, just what I was looking for. Trying not to spend too much looking for something that may only get me 20-30 feet more....

I ended up at the disc shop today and talked to the owner for awhile....Tern, Thrasher, Mystere were discussed, but he ended up telling me that I shouldn’t go up too much in speed even if it was under stable, he also said a number of people in my situation have really liked the MVP Wave. I got one of those to try....maybe will get to throw it tomorrow.
The Wave is a bummer disc. Its like the Tern, but the Tern is 100X better.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 460 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:

What plastic type of Wave? I've owned multiple neutrons, a proton, and multiple plasmas...and the plasmas all have SIGNIFICANTLY more glide and turn, resulting in a much better long hyzerflip disc. This really is one of those molds that flies much better in one plastic (plasma) vs all the others.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
The Wave is a bummer disc. Its like the Tern, but the Tern is 100X better.
I need to revisit the Tern. I tried it when I first started and hated it because it was too much disc for me at the time. That being said, Plasma Waves are awesome for that slot.
I'll concede that neutron and proton Waves aren't great though. I prefer my flippy discs to have more glide, and the neutrons/protons mold up too flat to chew up distance for me.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
What plastic type of Wave? I've owned multiple neutrons, a proton, and multiple plasmas...and the plasmas all have SIGNIFICANTLY more glide and turn, resulting in a much better long hyzerflip disc. This really is one of those molds that flies much better in one plastic (plasma) vs all the others.
Plasma...but I think I will look at a Tern also. Maybe an S line TD?

Last edited by todvan; 11-19-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I think you'll like the plasma wave better than a Tern. I have never thrown a TD, so can't comment there.

You should be pretty well covered with your combo of Teebird/FD/Wave. That's enough different flight characteristics to get you progressing.

EDIT: you probably could use a super flippy fairway driver if you feel the itch to buy one more disc. Something like an Underworld or Maul.

Last edited by aphilso1; 11-19-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 541 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
I feel like you should avoid STD's......
Old 11-19-2019, 10:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,738 Times in 757 Posts

Part of the discussion that has not been brought up is weight. As I get older, I have found some distance in 155-165 gm discs. They seem to be a touch less stable with my noodle arm and I have been bombing a lightweight King.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:19 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
YMMV, of course, but in my experience with all three molds, both the Tern and Wave are (much) better than the TD.