Old 08-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
It's safe to say what we (meaning, someone other than me ) can RIP Riverside Park (north, the one with the baskets). The baskets were pulled today, at least that is the word I received from a committee member. So we are going to need a new Riverside Park page made.

As for Riverside South (the pole course), the last time I was out at Riverside playing the new layout, the poles were still in the ground. Have yet to hear if they will get pulled. Stay tuned.
Any guess when new teepads will be going in?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 201
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 65 Times in 47 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meulen View Post
Any guess when new teepads will be going in?
At this point, rubber mats are being used. Don't know if this is permanent or not. There is a funding issue going on right now associated with preparing all these courses for Master Worlds. So..........
Stay tuned.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 324
Niced 13 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!!
Whiteford DGC is officially open and ready to be played. It is located at Whiteford-Stone Co. park in Whiteford Twp, Michigan. Attached is the course map. You will need it.
A few important notes:
1. The pads will not be in until spring.
2. The course is very much under construction still. Please be careful when walking out in the field. The field will hopefully be mowed soon. We are working on it.
3. WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The ADOPT-A-HOLE program
For those who are interested in adopting a hole, please contact Mark Kruse. He will go into detail with you about the responsibilities. Holes 1-7, 11, and 12 are already taken.
(edit: I've gotten a few inquiries about buying a hole. This is not the same program. If you'd like to sponsor a hole that can probably be arranged. The adopt a hole program is a work party thing and it's free. It includes things like clearing lanes, weed wacking, preparing the pad areas, etc).
If you don't have the time to adopt a hole but still want to help - there are other opportunities. Please send me a message if this is the case.
Have fun and enjoy the new course everyone!!!!
This course is listed as unplayable as of a few days ago, and there's very little info on the listing on this site. What's the story? Is it worth stopping by on my way to and from Detroit this weekend? Is it even open?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 201
Niced 65 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclc View Post
This course is listed as unplayable as of a few days ago, and there's very little info on the listing on this site. What's the story? Is it worth stopping by on my way to and from Detroit this weekend? Is it even open?
Here is what is posted on DG Scene:

"January 28 Update: Holes 1-11 and 18 are all cleared enough for play as a 12 hole loop. Flags are down for tees. They will occasionally shift as the designers work on finalizing the layout.

Total Length: 6,703' Avg. distance: 372' Wooded and open"
Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 38
Niced 83 Times in 46 Posts

Silver Creek in Marquette is getting concrete pads this weekend, work days are scheduled for Friday and Saturday. 8:00-2:00 on Fri., probably the same on Sat. Disc Da U.P. volunteers will be performing the work, they need lots of help and any tools you can bring. A great opportunity to give back to the sport we all love.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 305
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 26 Times in 18 Posts

That's a good move. Is powder mill going to move that way also?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 38
Niced 83 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
That's a good move. Is powder mill going to move that way also?
Probably. PM has rubber mats now that are adequate, but Silver Creek's pads were dished out gravel that really needed to be done first.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 56
Niced 50 Times in 19 Posts

Added Hilltop Meadows in Newberry. Pardon the few sideways pics until they fix them (I submitted an error claim).

I can't formally review the course because I only played 9 holes. Had the kids with me and it took 2 hours to get through the front 9 Here's my take on it though:

Pros:
-Nice piece of rolling meadows to work with. Uses some old abandoned ski area on a couple holes too.
-Good pin placements on most of the front 9
-New Innova DISCatchers with hole number
-3 tees on each hole
-Good use of the terrain
-Hole 5 - WOW
-Tee posts on the front 9 are just colored and hand written. They do the trick for the most part, and "Next Tee" sticks are everywhere, but could be broken down easily.

Cons:
-Fairways are very narrow with thick, dense, tall rough on either side, which is why it took me and the kids 2 hours to play the front 9. I would've liked to seen wider fairways mainly because there are some long distance holes that you have to land in a 10-15ft wide fairway, and are brutally punished searching in the deep weeds if you're not on the fairway.
-Fairways haven't been mowed in a while, but weren't horrible
-Natural tee areas are very uneven, hopefully they can save up for some pads.
-Not a lot of different shot selection due to the openness of most of the holes, BUT you do have to be careful in your selection so that you stay on the fairway.
-No bathrooms or benches
-Tee posts on the back 9 are just colored posts. NO tee numbers or distances. We finished hole 9 and started looking for hole 10 and never found it. We started playing what ended up being hole 12 (according to the basket once we got there), then the kids decided they were done. While looking from basket 12, I think that I could kind of see the layout, which would put tee 10 to the far east corner of the back building, but don't quote me on that.
-Hole 8 White throws over where people walk from hole 3 to hole 4, but visibility is good, so it hopefully shouldn't be an issue for the most part
-We did run across a couple ladies walking their dogs on a path back there, but I doubt pedestrian traffic will be much of an issue.
-Wind and summer sun could definitely be an issue as most of it is open

I don't know if I typed every thought that I had on the course, but I tried to remember it all. Just got home from an 8 day vacation up north with the fam so I'm ready for bed lol.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

^^Also, Hole 3 was a WTF moment for us. Seemed pretty straight forward, but once you got to the top of the hill, it looked like the basket was missing. We picked up our discs and walked down the only path that was there, then we noticed a basket. So, once you get to the top of the hill, you have to blindly throw over the nasty thick rough, with no fairway, to the basket. Kind of interesting, but you definitely need a spotter for that shot to have a 5% chance of finding your disc when it lands in the rough.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Found and uploaded a map for the course on a Newberry events page. Wish I had this for the back 9, but the kids would've still pooped out lol. Hole 6 is off a bit.