Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 07-09-2022, 07:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 121 Times in 81 Posts

I think the biggest takeaway here we need to remember is, simon is beyond normal as a disc golfer in skill level.

Simon also threw a putter 480 feet.
So what, did he throw 120mph? No.
Technique has a lot to do with that.

What does that mean?

That this chart isn't really scientific. It's a funzies thing.

Your average golfer will never see these differences. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't throwing a big dog driver.

Regardless of the chart.

Nose angle is huge, but discs still require speed to work.
So throwing a big dog driver isn't really gonna give you any extra distance unless you have great technique, and/or power.

Why does it work so well for Simon? He has massive angle/nose control.

We gotta remember were talking about "average golfers" for the most part in here, not someone like simon who is an outlier.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2022, 08:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 818 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantlikes View Post
True, when Simon compares his throw with Raivis the driver distance is vastly different because of the nose angle/throw trajectory (I think my throws are more like Raivis, swooping with nose up).
If folks hadn't seen it sidewinder had a nice breakdown of Raivis' vs Simon's technique discussing why the distances differed despite similar ejection speeds. Simon also responded in the comments. This vid is very instructive as another example that people have some untapped distance potential if they just make a few fundamental adjustments.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 121 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brychanus View Post
This vid is very instructive as another example that people have some untapped distance potential if they just make a few fundamental adjustments.
The little things man.

That's why I try and teach as a "this is the basics, when you got them, then work on the fancy stuff"

And its because these little things make MASSIVE improvements in your ability, but if you don't have a solid foundation, they will just cause you more grief as you struggle to not see the changes.

Good nose angle can be the difference between a 350 foot shot and 450 foot shot at the same power.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 82 Times in 54 Posts

40 mph gang

Actually even less if I'm trying to miss the trees

But just going by distance it makes the mid and fairway look redundant to my eye at that speed. 10 feet is like well within the margin of error. Problem is getting the DD to not stall out and finish way left. 180 in the fairway beats 220 in a bush, and all that.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:55 PM
Par Member

Niced 57 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
I think the biggest takeaway here we need to remember is, simon is beyond normal as a disc golfer in skill level.

Simon also threw a putter 480 feet.
So what, did he throw 120mph? No.
Technique has a lot to do with that.

What does that mean?

That this chart isn't really scientific. It's a funzies thing.

Your average golfer will never see these differences. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't throwing a big dog driver.

Regardless of the chart.

Nose angle is huge, but discs still require speed to work.
So throwing a big dog driver isn't really gonna give you any extra distance unless you have great technique, and/or power.

Why does it work so well for Simon? He has massive angle/nose control.

We gotta remember were talking about "average golfers" for the most part in here, not someone like simon who is an outlier.
The biggest takaway is that Simon's results are what you get with optimal form. I think that's interesting and useful for comparison to an average disc golfer. For example, you can see the benefit Simon gets out of throwing the distance driver. Amateurs could compare these results to their own and realize that perhaps bagging distance driver isn't beneficial enough until they figure out their angles.

I'm not sure what your point is with that it's not really scientific. There's is no research institute performing peer reviewed scientific studies on disc golf. So it will be hard to get much better tests than this. In comparison, the majority of disc golf discussion seems to be more about opinion or for 'funzies'.

He was throwing a DD3.

Sent from my SM-G991N using Tapatalk

Old 07-10-2022, 02:30 PM
Common Core Crusader

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,907 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdudeness47 View Post
For reference, I average 375-450 with drivers, 536 personal max with a Pro Boss. I'm also way more inconsistent than I'd like to be, especially with drivers. Some days I can rip with accuracy, other days I can rip without accuracy, other days snapless ducks come and bite me in the ass far too often.

I played my local 27 hole course yesterday (decently long at 12000 feet) and decided to take everything above my Thunderbirds out of the bag. I was finding myself never using my 7-9 speed discs and this made me sad. I also had a terrible tag round the other day and I felt way off my game. Needed a fix it round.

I am curious how this has worked out for others and how long they've kept it up because the early returns for me were incredible. Distance was legitimately unaffected and I may have got more off several elevated tees than normal. Accuracy and consistency felt like it got a ��. I've fallen in love with my teebird3s again (bagged 3 and I own 8). This is one data point from a good round so I'm not gonna come to any conclusions or make future plans from it but I'm gonna head out there again right now to do it again. There might be something to this. Giggity.
I've not done what you described.

I started playing in 2005 about the same time that they introduced the Wraith. So I've pretty much played all but my earliest months with at least a Wraith-speed disc in my bag. I've been upward of a 540' golf line (slight turn) thrower when maxing out my comfortable on-course power, and right now I think I'm about a 475' golf line thrower.

For me, personally, the speed 7-9 discs get their least use on my local courses. The holes just aren't designed for them. When I'm not using my distance drivers, I'm almost always dipping down to midranges or even straight stable putters.

However, by comparison, yesterday on Toboggan (a true championship caliber course) I found myself pulling out the fairways a ton. I used a speed 9 or below driver on 4 (valk approach), 5 (teebird tee), 6 (valk approach), 7 (FD approach), 8 (roadrunner approach), 9 (teebird tee), 10 (valk tee), 11 (valk tee), 15 (teebird approach), 16 (teebird tee), 18 (roadrunner tee).

For me it is all about shot shape. Well designed courses require me to use my 6-9s a lot. Most of my local courses I pull them out 1-3 holes at absolute MOST, on Toboggan I pulled them out on 11 holes. And for shots shaped from the fairways, not scrambles.

It isn't that those discs wouldn't work well on the holes I play, I could take out the speed 10+ discs. But frankly they just plain are not the best options for me.