Old 08-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 210
Niced 13 Times in 3 Posts
Default Lake Michigan circle tour

Hey, all.

I'm planning a semi-epic 10-day motorcycle tour around Lake Michigan for Summer 2017. My route will take me from Ames, IA to an overnight stop in Lake Geneva WI. Then to Milwaukee, where I'll board the express ferry to Muskegon MI, then continue up the lakeshore with overnight stops in Ludington, Traverse City and Mackinac Island for a rest day. From there, I'll continue around to the western shore of Green Bay, stopping in Shawano WI for another rest day. Thence commencing west to an overnight stop in Faribault MN and then back to Ames.

I'm looking for three things: awesome golf, awesome riding and awesome food and beverage.

Also, I'll be camping part of the time (Lake Geneva, Ludington, Traverse City), so any recommendations for tent camping locations near those cities would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2016, 02:12 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 346
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 301 Times in 155 Posts

Lake Geneva area: Grey/Silver Fox
Milwaukee: Brown Deer
Ludington: Get to Flip City. Mason County. Leviathan. There are more.
Green Bay: All poop. You could either head southeast-ish to Winter Park, go a bit southwest to Rollin' Ridge or head straight west, to:
Stevens Point: Standing Rocks. Big Eau Plaine. Yulga. First two are interchangeable, and both awesome.

From there, head either towards Eau Claire, and play Tower Ridge.

Or, go more south, and head to Sparta, and play Justin Trails.

Or head to the Twin Cities and play just about anything.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 301 Times in 205 Posts

Camping at Flip is a cheap way to go and you're at a solid park.

Traverse City State Park is about $30 to camp and I think it's $5 for a daily motorcycle pass. Beautiful state park right on the water with gorgeous views at the beach, good amenities, and kept very clean. Make damn sure to hit up Hickory Hills DGP when you're in the area. One of the best courses around in my opinion. And you can't complain about view of Grand Traverse Bay and downtown Traverse City from hole 19's tee pad.

I'm also a huge fan of Silver Mountain just west of St. Ignace on your way back from Mackinac Island. Again, three holes on a huge bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. Beautiful vistas. Plus, from the alt tee on hole 9, you're shooting 800' with a 100'+ elevation drop. Epic feel good moments. Some of my favorite views in all of Disc Golf are at Silver Mountain.

On a bike this sounds like one of the most enjoyable trips I've ever been on. Biking through the Upper Peninsula is truly a magical experience.

Have a blast and enjoy God's Country.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 42.6
Courses Played: 150
Niced 142 Times in 85 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/Buttersvill...6573546374198/

I highly recommend this campground in Ludington. It is much more in tune with the DG lifestyle than the state campground. I would make reservations though. I have done the full circle jerk tours of Lakes Michigan and Erie. Fun trips with amazing DG possibilities! Enjoy!

Here is a pick of me and my wife visiting the campground on my old Interceptor. The campground sits on a cliff overlooking lake Michigan.

Last edited by thrembo; 08-05-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 3
Niced 88 Times in 67 Posts

Thanks for tidbit on the ludington campground. It seems from my last trip that the state park campgrounds I visited (scouted but did not stay) were littered with massive rvs and jam-packed.

Quite jealous of your trip. I here the porcupines in the UP have a dg course! That would be high on my list for the views.

Thanks for all the hardcore michigan dgers for revealing some of their favorite spots! L
Old 08-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
https://www.facebook.com/Buttersvill...6573546374198/

I highly recommend this campground in Ludington. It is much more in tune with the DG lifestyle than the state campground. I would make reservations though. I have done the full circle jerk tours of Lakes Michigan and Erie. Fun trips with amazing DG possibilities! Enjoy!
What about the Mason County campground? I was looking at that since it's basically walking distance from the three Mason County Park courses. Of course, the one you're talking about is a short ride away. And it's on the lakefront, so that doesn't suck either.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Lake Geneva area: Grey/Silver Fox
Milwaukee: Brown Deer
Ludington: Get to Flip City. Mason County. Leviathan. There are more.
Green Bay: All poop. You could either head southeast-ish to Winter Park, go a bit southwest to Rollin' Ridge or head straight west, to:
Stevens Point: Standing Rocks. Big Eau Plaine. Yulga. First two are interchangeable, and both awesome.

From there, head either towards Eau Claire, and play Tower Ridge.

Or, go more south, and head to Sparta, and play Justin Trails.

Or head to the Twin Cities and play just about anything.
Thanks for the list. I've already got Silver Fox on the playlist. I've already played the GB courses (poopy), Winter and Rollin', and all of the big Twin Cities courses, so I'm looking for new tracks to play. Will seriously look at Stevens Point or Eau Claire.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
I here the porcupines in the UP have a dg course! That would be high on my list for the views.
Looks awesome, just really out of the way from my intended route. Much like my drives off the tee.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 85
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Jolly Pumpkin in Traverse City

Old 08-08-2016, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 42.6
Courses Played: 150
Niced 142 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydisc View Post
What about the Mason County campground? I was looking at that since it's basically walking distance from the three Mason County Park courses. Of course, the one you're talking about is a short ride away. And it's on the lakefront, so that doesn't suck either.
Never stayed at that one. But Buttersville is private and secluded with a great beach.