Old 09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 210
Niced 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Not enough work out there, even with the fast growth, to really justify the effort for full-time job. Only worth studying it as a professional for supplemental income. Landscape architecture is probably the closest college discipline to study for a real job. Then, find an experienced designer in your area to learn the ropes of course design and installation. John Houck also has workshops to learn more of the details and business of course design which would be immersion learning for a weekend.
I have a degree in Landscape Architecture and practiced as a registered LA for about 14 years (I'm currently registered in an 'inactive' capacity). In that time, I had exactly *one* opportunity to actually submit a proposal for course design work. Unfortunately, I was underbid by an engineering firm, which was closer to the subject property, that simply hired a local player to do the design, while they produced all of the construction documents and attended all of the public meetings.

EDIT: I'm an experienced course designer, having done several 9- and 18-hole courses in the state of Iowa, one of which has been used in a World Championships.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by cydisc; 09-02-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 14 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Ahh, everyone wants to be a course designer.
Agreed but not saying that its a bad thing. However, there are way too many people who design courses that should not be designing them or too many people who design crappy or sub par courses that think they are good courses