Old 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM

Years Playing: 1.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Tee off

On your tee shot i know you can start your approach off the tee pad but after you release the disc are you allowed to "follow through" off the front of the pad? If you release the disc while still on the tee pad.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 121
Niced 53 Times in 21 Posts

yes. the only rule is that all supporting points must be on the teepad as the disc is thrown.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 337 Times in 210 Posts

Similar, random question, can I throw with no supporting points on the tee at all?

Shots from off of the tee I think it's clear the answer is no. But if this is really how it's worded:
Quote:
the only rule is that all supporting points must be on the teepad as the disc is thrown.
Does anything prevent throwing a tee shot from mid air after sprinting and leaping off the tee?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 716 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Similar, random question, can I throw with no supporting points on the tee at all?

Off the tee I think it's clear the answer is no. But if this is really how it's worded:

Does anything prevent throwing a tee shot from mid air after sprinting and leaping off the tee?
Yes, the rule itself prevents such a throw.
A. Play begins on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all supporting points must be in contact only with the surface of the teeing area. Supporting point contact outside the teeing area is allowed if it comes before or after, and not at, the moment the disc is released.
Don't think it can get much clearer.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Don't think it can get much clearer.
Yeah, but I'm lazy and wanted you to look it up for me.

I thought maybe Blazed was correct in saying the ONLY rule was that all your supporting points had to be on the tee. That would be funny. Not like a leaping drive would ever be useful.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 210
Niced 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Why in the world would you do that?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydisc View Post
Why in the world would you do that?
Lol, you wouldnt. As I said it would never be useful.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 39 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Lol, you wouldnt. As I said it would never be useful.
Spoken like someone who doesn't routinely throw thumbers or play volleyball above a rec level.

As a former collegiate volleyball player and back row hitter, there are DEFINITELY times where a jump thumber, a la a jump serve—which prior to the 2013 rules revision WAS legal—made it significantly easier to clear an early obstacle or "beat" the design of a hole without sacrificing distance.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 716 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstine View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn't routinely throw thumbers or play volleyball above a rec level.

As a former collegiate volleyball player and back row hitter, there are DEFINITELY times where a jump thumber, a la a jump serve—which prior to the 2013 rules revision WAS legal—made it significantly easier to clear an early obstacle or "beat" the design of a hole without sacrificing distance.
When was a "jump thumber", which I take to mean a throw in which the player is in the air at release, ever legal by PDGA rule? The rule has always been that a support point has to be in contact with the playing surface at release.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 39 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
When was a "jump thumber", which I take to mean a throw in which the player is in the air at release, ever legal by PDGA rule? The rule has always been that a support point has to be in contact with the playing surface at release.
Prior to 2013, the teeing off rule did not require a player to have a supporting point when the disc was released, in contrast to both 803.04 Stance Subsequent to Teeing Off, which did explicitly require a player to have a supporting point, and to the current rule. It only required that if a player did have one or more supporting points, at least one of them had to be in contact with the playing surface of the teeing area.

2011 Rulebook:

Quote:
803.02 Teeing Off:
A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, at least one of the player’s supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all the player’s supporting points must be within the teeing area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes
the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc is released.
vs.

2011 - 803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off
A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E);[/quote]

2013 Rulebook:

Quote:
Play begins on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all supporting points must be in contact only with the surface of the teeing area. Supporting point contact outside the teeing area is allowed if it comes before or after, and not at, the moment the disc is released.