Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Will you be buying a live stream package for this event?
Yes 27 16.88%
No 133 83.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,658 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Currently the DGN has about 13K subs, and that is JUST for live coverage. That number will probably drop somewhat in the off season, and hopefully come back next season. But, if we were to put the post production behind that paywall for a limited time, I imagine that number would grow beyond that.

But that gets into the entire discussion of, "What do the current post production companies do for the tour?" Which my answer currently is... very little.

I do NOT think this is the plan of the DGN currently. These are just my whimsical ideas. I work WITH the DGN. But I don't make any of the business decisions for them.
There is always an underestimation of the number of folks watching this stuff on Youtube. And there has always been a, "You're not growing the viewership," opinion. Two years ago Jomez was getting 30,000. Then it went to 50,000. I'm seeing vids with well over 100,000 views and some with 250,000. I think the naysayers may be underestimating.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2020, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

I wrote my last two posts while having a $20 lunch with my son. There is a wide array of folks who can afford and not afford to drop $20. I see it at my kid's school. I'm guessing there are plenty of folks who just can't afford it and won't. I think that is a shame and their business. There is going to be a subset of folks who can afford it and think it's a waste of money. That is their businsness too. I hope that there are enough folks who are willing to pay, to keep the growth in broadcasting that I'm seeing on the same track.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,727 Times in 2,961 Posts

250k views would get them about $250.

If they sell half of the disc packages, that's $10k

Old 09-25-2020, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 145 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post

I typically see other sponsors having banners and smaller ads footing the bill for Jomez. Like Innova and others. I don't think they bought that huge RV and are traveling the country for 250 bucks a day or PER Video! hehe They have 3 people to pay. Lots of expenses like equipment. It would be impossible for them to do it on those base numbers, literally.

I also think that the youtube money is quite a bit more as well. From what I've seen it varies a lot. How long do people watch the vids, how many ads, etc.

I see some you tubers making 30K a month, even a million a year. Now I don't think it is that much but it certainly has to be much more then a a couple grand a week. They wouldn't be out there.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

The discussion centers around whether folks are willing to pay $20 for a viewing of USDGC. The comments centered around, no way, there just isn't enough interest. Well, interest is higher than what some might think and have argued. And they are growing. And as JV posted, the "few hundred" people watching DGN is much higher than a few hundred.

That said, we're going to get an anwer, one way or the other. I hope those who say there no one is going to sign up are wrong. But certainly, I'm not going to lose sleep over this issue. Any more than I lost sleep over the folks who said Jomez wouldn't make money three years ago.

I always thought the purpose of capitalism was to make money. Innova is bad for developing one of the biggest tournaments in the system and wanting to make money at it?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:27 PM

Niced 27 Times in 22 Posts

Just bought the Gold Pass. Would have paid $20 for the livestream and VODs but I figured why not add in a disc. I will always prefer live sports, and on the days I am working and miss some of the live, I can avoid spoilers long enough to speed watch the VODs later. 20 bucks for that many hours of entertainment is pretty reasonable to me. It costs me that or more to go to a movie.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 268
Niced 189 Times in 99 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Quote:

Nah Brodie said if he had to guess that Jomez is pulling at least 1k per video possibly closer to 2k. I trust he knows what he is talking about in regards to youtube revenue. So probably bringing in $3k to $6k per tournament.

They should definitely be paying the DGPT to film as opposed to the DGPT paying them. They are good, but they are replaceable.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,572 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
Nah Brodie said if he had to guess that Jomez is pulling at least 1k per video possibly closer to 2k. I trust he knows what he is talking about in regards to youtube revenue.
Brodie is much more business savvy than alot of people realize, from what I've seen he doesn't really comment positively or negatively how much people make on YT. Youtube revenue is easy to research. Currently in 2020, a millions views gets you anywhere from 1-2.5k youtube revenue. With paid advertising you can make more per video.

https://socialblade.com/ is the pretty much the standard for streaming revenue guesstimations. You can easily tell who's making bank and who's not.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 654 Times in 318 Posts

Quote:
They [Jomez] should definitely be paying the DGPT to film as opposed to the DGPT paying them. They are good, but they are replaceable.
Didn't DGPT try that?

Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,135 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Nah Brodie said if he had to guess that Jomez is pulling at least 1k per video possibly closer to 2k. I trust he knows what he is talking about in regards to youtube revenue. So probably bringing in $3k to $6k per tournament.

They should definitely be paying the DGPT to film as opposed to the DGPT paying them. They are good, but they are replaceable.
This is probably closer. Figure $7 or $8 per 1000 views. That is kinda average. Plus maybe 20k a month in Patreon plus ads. But they have a 6 or 7 person crew for all their stuff.