Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 300
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 432 Times in 205 Posts
Default PDGA Sanctioned Events Overseas

Should the PDGA sanction events that aren't following the specified tier guidelines and payout structures?

Why does it matter if the PDGA sanctioned events are inside the U.S. or not?

For the last year or so I've been participating in PDGA sanctioned events held by the JPDGA (Japan). During this time I've been learning what their interpretations of a B tier entail, meaning the PDGA lets them run events however they want. The PDGA International can make suggestions, but ultimately have very little say on how the overseas associations "shall" financially structure/run sanctioned events.

Basically, they (JPDGA) run the show like an Italian mob minus the obesity. They don't clearly define the payout amounts before the events, rarely meet the standards for Open payouts, and AM players sometimes revive a mini for a 35-50 $ entry fee. The PDGA staff know there's a lot of unsavory stuff going, yet insists nothing can be done about it.

When I attend a PDGA sanctioned event expect a certain level of quality and business transparency. The line between sanctioned and unsanctioned tournaments could not possibly be blurrier than I am experiencing now. I imagine in the US this stuff wouldn't be tolerated, so why is it ok here? Thoughts from registered players & TDs
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 72
Niced 404 Times in 201 Posts

The US tournament scene has unfortunately trained players to expect that they "get their money back". The PDGA standards codify this. Playing in other countries may have a different culture without the same sense of player entitlement and thus things are done differently there.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:54 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 710
Niced 2,551 Times in 1,080 Posts

International events have higher expenses which are deducted before calculating payout. And, the official PDGA TD report for International events provides payout options for just 15, 20, 25, 33 or 40% of a division being paid out versus the 40, 45, 50% getting paid out in North America.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 300
Niced 432 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
The US tournament scene has unfortunately trained players to expect that they "get their money back". The PDGA standards codify this. Playing in other countries may have a different culture without the same sense of player entitlement and thus things are done differently there.
JPDGA employees are participating in their own events that do not list the purse size or payout structure before the event. Do you not see how this can be problematic?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 42
Niced 68 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
JPDGA employees are participating in their own events that do not list the purse size or payout structure before the event. Do you not see how this can be problematic?
Tons Of events here in the states don't list those things either. It happens. JPDGA is small I would assume so of course they are participating in nearly every event in a country with a minimal DG presence. I understand it may be frustrating for you, but I can imagine there is nothing unusual about it in any international scene. It's really just amazing that there are scenes in places like Japan at all. It is very clearly leagues behind the US in scope and scale and can't be expected to be run the same way or to have the same expectations out of it.