Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 156 Times in 110 Posts

that was good, and I don't even know abby. by now you have probably left this thread.

if not, in all seriousness the sport is so grass roots and has evolved into a very low cost leisure sport, that we laugh.

one day this will happen and we won't be poking fun at such a thread. demographics are changing for sure and people who have money continue to adopt this great game.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 06:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 103
Niced 34 Times in 18 Posts

Treehouz is a fantastic course in Branson, Missouri that has rental cabins lining some fairways. There are videos of a big event a couple of years ago somewhere on YouTube. Andrew Presnell lives nearby, he may be up for some coaching if he isn’t on tour.

Branson Trails course is nearby as well. Extremely challenging.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 152
Niced 131 Times in 45 Posts
Default Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
that was good, and I don't even know abby. by now you have probably left this thread.

if not, in all seriousness the sport is so grass roots and has evolved into a very low cost leisure sport, that we laugh.

one day this will happen and we won't be poking fun at such a thread. demographics are changing for sure and people who have money continue to adopt this great game.
Instruction and training aids are both huge markets in the golf industry.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 1317
Niced 357 Times in 151 Posts

I consider my late fall tournament "The Bald Eagle Experience" an all inclusive disc golf vacation. 3 days 2 nights, all the disc golf you can handle (I dare you to try and out disc golf me ), lodging and food included. There's probably someone there that would be willing to give you some instruction when it's not tournament time.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:04 PM

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm surprised by the crap responses in some of these replies and definitely the tone. Particularly the assumption that instruction/vaca means fancy or high end. There is a behavioral economics story in here somewhere. Buying $80 first run oop's is acceptable but spending a couple hundred to golf and learn is weird. My bag is full of hand me downs, found, and $5 lake discs, and I've never played a pay course. However, I've definitely thought about messaging Sidewinder and asking for lessons or costs and dropping a couple hundred bucks to camp nearby and get some instruction.

I get that pros are freaks skillwise, and that pro doesn't mean teacher, however, I as a 1 yr rec player can provide form feedback simply by wtching. High level players almost always will have good helpful info to Share .

Bummed that you think the way you do, DavidSauls.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 259 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
No, there's not.

You might create your own---find a disc golf destination, near a pro you can hire.

But I'd be skeptical of paying anyone much money for lessons. First, because the fundamentals of disc golf technique are less settled than golf---there are all sorts of different viewpoints out there on what constitutes "proper" technique. Second, and more importantly, there's no guarantee on the teaching skills---particularly from pros, for whom natural athleticism is a significant component of their achievement. Not everyone can make the leap from being able to do something, to being able to identify and solve it in someone who can't.
A lot of wisdom here^^^^^^

Personally, if someone could get some of our teaching players together (Seabas/Sidewinder, HeavyDisc/JasonLeibgott, Danny L among others) to run a hands-on teaching clinic for a few days, I would pay to go to that.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,916 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka_Sinisalo View Post

Sorry. I hate to hear that anyone's bummed, let alone be the cause.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM

Courses Played: 48
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka_Sinisalo View Post
I'm surprised by the crap responses in some of these replies and definitely the tone. Particularly the assumption that instruction/vaca means fancy or high end. There is a behavioral economics story in here somewhere. Buying $80 first run oop's is acceptable but spending a couple hundred to golf and learn is weird. My bag is full of hand me downs, found, and $5 lake discs, and I've never played a pay course. However, I've definitely thought about messaging Sidewinder and asking for lessons or costs and dropping a couple hundred bucks to camp nearby and get some instruction.

I get that pros are freaks skillwise, and that pro doesn't mean teacher, however, I as a 1 yr rec player can provide form feedback simply by wtching. High level players almost always will have good helpful info to Share .

Yeah this is the last time I post looking for this type of advice, the tone has been the general tone across the board I've found.

I dislike ball golf generally because it's too elitist and I find the opposite problem with disc golf. People who spend thousands a year on booze and cigarettes mock me for wanting to drop a few hundred on getting better at a hobby I enjoy.

Whatever.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,916 Times in 925 Posts

Who's mocking you?

I merely said that there disc golf doesn't have established standards or teachers, and that because people are top pros won't necessarily make them good teachers either. Not that you shouldn't be willing to pay for lessons, but that it's tricky finding a qualified teacher for your money. That sort of thing just isn't established in disc golf.

Lots of people spend lots of money on things that I wouldn't. But I don't mock them for it; it's their money, their choice.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Niced 75 Times in 22 Posts

I have watched every video I can find and while most are made by great players few are good teachers. If you watch several you will get really confused. What one person tells you will totally contradict what another says. Neither is wrong it works for them but not for everyone. I think getting help from a pro would be good but I would be really careful who it was. A high player ratings might not relate to a good teacher rating.