Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane7 View Post
BTW, Odyssey, I caught your post about wanting to buy "Full Moon Feast" in the other thread. If you want, you can send me an offer via PM. Just know that she'd be hard for me to let go. Worst I could do is say "no". Also, thanks for all of your kind words about my work. I think you and I have learned a lot (especially about dyes) from each other. Well, at least I've learned from you! Thanks!

Peace,
-Jeff
As much as I love it, I don't deserve it. It's yours. That should be hanging on your wall!

I for sure have learned from you as well. Those pictures of how you laid out your sky in this one really got me thinking for backgrounds. Plus the candle wax and how you do your colors. I really need to practice my technique on planning out some multi-colored ones.

I've been kind of in the mode lately of just doing semi-practical spin/sc/bag/gel combo dyes to retain the stamp...Mostly just making my own discs look pretty. I feel I need to challenge myself more now after seeing all these this year! I don't think I could bring myself to throw something like yours though if I ever pulled one off that cool. Great job again!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 28 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
DTP,
Thanks, and thanks for sharing how you did yours! Once again, GREAT WORK! It looks like The Hand That Feeds was done on a Gold Line disc? Can't tell on Lycanus. What discs are they done on?

Peace,
-Jeff
Thanks! You are correct...'Hand' is on a kinda off white GL river. Lycanus is on a white opto river although it is more opaque than the clear opto plastic I'm accustomed to.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 92
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys really blow my mind with your skills and creativity. Thanks for posting this thread.

Sometimes I feel like a complete hack when it comes to dyes. Especially after I see some of the incredible "Flying Art" you guys do.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 286
Niced 1,636 Times in 845 Posts

Pretty amazing! Thanks for walking through the process. I didn't realize there were so many steps involved, I'm even more impressed with more complex and multi-colored dies now.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 25 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
I also have a couple of questions for anyone that dyed a glow disc...

What plastic/mold did you use?

More importantly, How did you photograph yours?

Full Moon Feast was done on a Glow Champion Roadrunner, and I tried SO hard to get a good shot of it glowing, but was unsuccessful.

Would any of you be willing to post how, and with what equipment you took your shots with? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Jeff
Murder of Crows is on a Glow Champion Leopard. I have a nice Canon and tripod. Set the disc up, and set the exposure for a good few seconds, experiment but exposure is long. I've gone somewhere between 8 and 13 seconds to get good results. Make sure the room is completely dark(closet, bathroom) and keep the camera still.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettUA View Post
Murder of Crows is on a Glow Champion Leopard. I have a nice Canon and tripod. Set the disc up, and set the exposure for a good few seconds, experiment but exposure is long. I've gone somewhere between 8 and 13 seconds to get good results. Make sure the room is completely dark(closet, bathroom) and keep the camera still.
Thanks Bennett! That's kinda what I figured. The longest exposure I could get with my point and shoot was 2 seconds. Might have to have a friend take some shots.

BTW, did you find that pic?

Peace,
-Jeff
Old 10-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's an amazing job and a very time consuming process.
I have a couple of questions.

After you died the black outline, did you have to remask it to then dye then green skin? Same with the red top. When you went to dye it, did you have to cover everything else up?

How much practice do you have to have cutting by hand to do this?!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step! Cutting that whole thing by hand takes some patience, that's for sure.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOB3RT View Post
That's an amazing job and a very time consuming process.
I have a couple of questions.

After you died the black outline, did you have to remask it to then dye then green skin? Same with the red top. When you went to dye it, did you have to cover everything else up?
Thanks TOB3RT! After dyeing the black, I just peeled the vinyl where the green skin was, and did another hot dip. You can dye lighter colors right over the black without affecting it. After the green, I brushed the rest of the fill colors in, just like a coloring book. The only time I re-masked was for the background, and that was to the middle of the black outline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOB3RT View Post
How much practice do you have to have cutting by hand to do this?!
Although this was the first disc I ever dyed by cutting the mask by hand, I do have years of practice cutting masks with a #11 X-atco knife from my custom painting (motorcycles and helmets) days. All I can say is, just jump in and do it! Start with a simple design to gain confidence and a feel for what the blade is doing. Always keep a sharp blade and let IT do the work.

An aside, This being my first hand cut mask, I've always been skeptical about cutting the mask directly on the disc, for fear that it would scar the plastic or even worse, weaken or compromise it. I have to say that there is not one visible line from the blade on "Full Moon Feast".

Hope that answered your questions!

Peace,
-Jeff

Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 124
Niced 776 Times in 423 Posts

This thread is great !

Funny thing is that I almost always take more pictures than I did of my submission, I only have one non-final picture.

Here's how I did it though:

Found the image on Google Images by searching for "Evil Face" (first picture)
Printed pics from google never seem crisp enough to use as stencils, so I generally print them and then redraw the lines in black. This time I just drew the pic. Then I made a cleaner version by tracing the first (second picture).

Then a dip dye with idye black for the black on the right side of the disc and the pupil.

Then weed off the blood and painted on idye crimson. Cut the viens in the white of the eye, flexed the disc to open them and painted on idye red. And weeded off the lighter areas on the right side and painted with a mix of idye blue, gun metal, and silver.

Then shaded those lighter ares with black to get a smoother transition. And weed off the Iris and paint on Pylam green.

Then put lines of idye blue on each side of the eye (on the vinyl), and with a toothpick, stroked the blue onto the Iris. Ive used that technique before and I really liked how it worked here.

Remasked and cut out the hand to avoid getting unwanted dye on the blood.

Colored the hand using a base skin color of idye red and water, applied at room temp with a qtip a few times (as discussed in that other thread). Used idye silver, gunmetal, black, brown, purple, red and crimson while coloring and shading the hand. At this point is where the third picture was taken.

Then it was one more remask, weed off the enire left side except the eye. Did the coloring and shading with the same colors as the hand, but on the face I got that textured look by again using a toothpick and putting a small amount of dye on and making streaks, being as random as possible with a brown and gunmetal mix, then again with just gunmetal.

Then weeded off the eye to do some final shading there (the reddish edge of the eye white, and the actual shading).

After that, just a couple touch ups and it was done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1030142004.jpg (69.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140929_225824779.jpg (73.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by roggenb3; 10-30-2014 at 10:35 PM.