Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 331 Times in 222 Posts

I don't like the new 'grippy' Z plastic. Its not firm enough. I am starting to think about moving all my molds to baseline plastics as this seems to be an across the spectrum move for most manufacturers...that or go Vibram. They still have firm discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 126 Times in 93 Posts

I got myself a Z Comet after all the love it gets on the forum here.

My only problem is the grip, I'm not a fan of beads so it is very different to my other discs.

What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc? It seems I get glimpses of the magic when I power it down. I guess this disc simply demands me to clean up my form, especially for the hyzerflips.

Thinking about the 120' upshot banging the basket after curving between trees 5' above the ground still makes me happy and confident this disc is worth mastering.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Niced 281 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc? ...
smooth, controlled, powerful, correct technique with ample snap will unlock the hidden magic. Its worth the wait.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,051 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc? It seems I get glimpses of the magic when I power it down. I guess this disc simply demands me to clean up my form, especially for the hyzerflips.
You answered you own question, slow the F&%k down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
smooth, controlled, powerful, correct technique with ample snap will unlock the hidden magic. Its worth the wait.
What he said ^^^

A Comet can take a lot of power, but you have to be clean

Niced: (1)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 126 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
You answered you own question, slow the F&%k down.

What he said ^^^

A Comet can take a lot of power, but you have to be clean
Right!
Reminds me of the Nova, great potential but as great demands of form and clean release.

Going for practice today and hope to get confident enough to bag the Comet on the weekly local tour this Monday.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Par Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
My only problem is the grip, I'm not a fan of beads so it is very different to my other discs.

What advice would you give someone who tries to learn this disc?
Try a fan grip if you haven't already. I can't power grip beaded mids well.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I don't like the new 'grippy' Z plastic. Its not firm enough. I am starting to think about moving all my molds to baseline plastics as this seems to be an across the spectrum move for most manufacturers...that or go Vibram. They still have firm discs.
Are all of the new Z this way, or just the tour series? I don't find that much of a difference between my Tour Series Thrasher and "normal" Z.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 331 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
Are all of the new Z this way, or just the tour series? I don't find that much of a difference between my Tour Series Thrasher and "normal" Z.
I am not for sure. My local shop only had one tour series disc, and it was firmer than the others. Perhaps the tour series is a different run of plastic? It was not squishy like some of the others
Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 383 Times in 263 Posts

So, I've never really gotten into Comets, but had a CFR Les White Z Comet from last year and I just pulled it out today to give her a spin... DAYUM! Why the hell have I never bagged this thing??? Now I see the hypetrain is real... So controllable, so much glide, can hit any line you want... just jeez. Give it a little hyzer, rip it, watch it flip flat and gliiiiiiide for a country mile. I had been using M4s for my midrange turnovers and hyzerflips, but I think the Comet may have just stolen that slot... We'll have to run to some of our lovely wooded courses with both and try to back-to-back stacking and see which one comes out on top. However, after not throwing a Comet for about ten years, back when I didn't know how the throw a disc any better than "point that way and huck it as hard as you can," I fell in love instantly. Now that I actually understand how to control power, release angles, nose pitch, ect. the Comet truly is a dream machine. Damn myself for being stubborn and not throwing this for the last ten years...

Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 147
Niced 330 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
So, I've never really gotten into Comets, but had a CFR Les White Z Comet from last year and I just pulled it out today to give her a spin... DAYUM! Why the hell have I never bagged this thing??? Now I see the hypetrain is real... So controllable, so much glide, can hit any line you want... just jeez. Give it a little hyzer, rip it, watch it flip flat and gliiiiiiide for a country mile. I had been using M4s for my midrange turnovers and hyzerflips, but I think the Comet may have just stolen that slot... We'll have to run to some of our lovely wooded courses with both and try to back-to-back stacking and see which one comes out on top. However, after not throwing a Comet for about ten years, back when I didn't know how the throw a disc any better than "point that way and huck it as hard as you can," I fell in love instantly. Now that I actually understand how to control power, release angles, nose pitch, ect. the Comet truly is a dream machine. Damn myself for being stubborn and not throwing this for the last ten years...
Welcome back!

Niced: (1)