Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM

Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

I like a champ FD for the most controllable disc in my bag. If I need a little more right to left, the Vision is my go to.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 351 Times in 216 Posts

Currently, this slot would be occupied by the mantis. I carry a worn in bigZ and a Ti. Cover a wide range of shots and lines with them. I think the mantis is similar to a saint or escape though so maybe not much help for you.

I do throw a stalker in order to bridge the gap between mids and mantises.

Other good options for this slot would be the Patriot, JLS, Polaris LS, XL, and Cheetah.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 50 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey dudes,

Most recently my control driver slot has been filled with Teebirds, but I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot. I really like the controllable "flip n fly" shot and need something to cover the whole spectrum, from a click below a star teebird all the way down to a click above an underworld.

What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think. That being said, I'm considering bagging a Fury for this shot as they actually seem incredibly slow for a 1.9cm rim.

FDs are cool, but the lack of consistent availability is a turn off. TL could be part of the equation, but they aren't flippy enough to fill the whole spectrum. Leopards are a perennial favorite - name a mold that better exemplifies the advantages of every plastic type... 2x champ is beefy AF, pro is amazing, DX works fine thanks to the relatively blunt and sturdy rim. I don't have as much experience with the leo3, and as I said pro leopards are half the reason I would consider the mold at all. Other than that, I've been considering some GYRO too, as I really like the 1.65cm rim speed class.

Champ Leopard 3, c-line fd, and 400 f3 are my suggestions. Granted I dont know how far you throw because that would change my suggestions. But those are my suggestions if you throw 7 speeds 350 ft
Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 54 Times in 47 Posts

Valkyrie or phenom
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 458 Times in 336 Posts

There really are a lot of answers. Id try to get my hands on a variety of used discs and toss em around this thread will go on an on with beat in DX this or meteor thst Leopard, no Leo3, gazelle.... Valk, phenom, FD. Really its going to be about what feels best in your hand and how it flies for you. I got a seasoned hatchet for trade LOL.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 122 Times in 80 Posts

Relays are great N to US fairways. I have a 166 with quite a bit of turn, and a max weight with a very neutral flight.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 159
Niced 1,308 Times in 672 Posts

^ For sure.

I'm currently bagging a Z Heat (neutral) and Big Z Heat (decidedly US) for this and really digging them. Might be a wider rim than you're looking for but definitely fits the neutral part and they power down really well.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 385 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey dudes,

Most recently my control driver slot has been filled with Teebirds, but I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot. I really like the controllable "flip n fly" shot and need something to cover the whole spectrum, from a click below a star teebird all the way down to a click above an underworld.

What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think. That being said, I'm considering bagging a Fury for this shot as they actually seem incredibly slow for a 1.9cm rim.

FDs are cool, but the lack of consistent availability is a turn off. TL could be part of the equation, but they aren't flippy enough to fill the whole spectrum. Leopards are a perennial favorite - name a mold that better exemplifies the advantages of every plastic type... 2x champ is beefy AF, pro is amazing, DX works fine thanks to the relatively blunt and sturdy rim. I don't have as much experience with the leo3, and as I said pro leopards are half the reason I would consider the mold at all. Other than that, I've been considering some GYRO too, as I really like the 1.65cm rim speed class.
I use XL, they are like a slower Valkyrie at Speed 7 similar rim feel. I also use a Impact, more then XL but it is not for most players, odd rim. Though if you want a Impact flight but not as odd a rim get the Wombat 3. XL is a good disc, as it can do the same flight as a Valkyrie but just slower so on fairway and holes I would not use a Valkyrie off the tee but an Impact is not enough disc to use. Also love the glide of XL as well, a little bit more then what a Valkyrie would have.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 385 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballadp View Post
Valkyrie or phenom
Discraft XL is a Valkyrie flight line but in a true Fairway disc. Newer Champion Valkyries fly like almost speed 10, feel like 9.5 speed. At least my 2016 Champion glow Valkyrie feels like that.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 225 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I use XL, they are like a slower Valkyrie at Speed 7 similar rim feel. I also use a Impact, more then XL but it is not for most players, odd rim. Though if you want a Impact flight but not as odd a rim get the Wombat 3. XL is a good disc, as it can do the same flight as a Valkyrie but just slower so on fairway and holes I would not use a Valkyrie off the tee but an Impact is not enough disc to use. Also love the glide of XL as well, a little bit more then what a Valkyrie would have.
OK so what's the deal with the XL, the XS, the xpress, the extra... I've never been able to figure out DC's speed 7ish fairways. How do they slot in next to the newer ones like the mantis and undertaker? What about the stalker?