Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Ltocadisco

The mosquitoes were plentiful. It's just a rough spring as many have said. That is no excuse for not picking up the trash though. They just need to empty the buckets for starters.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

I camped up there last August and it was a blast. Every course was mowed beautifully and there wasn't any trash anywhere. The crew was great and John was a great host. There was a live band Saturday night with one of the crew doing a fire swinging show with the music. The building maintenance leaves something to be desired but the courses are amazing when mowed well.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 262
Niced 14 Times in 2 Posts

When I was there a few years ago in the summer the property was looking pretty good and the grass was mowed. I remember in conversation John said the grass grows insanely fast in the spring and he was a good host.

I think it deserves the high rating, but I imagine it would be rough when the grass is tall.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 84
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few friends and I were up at Highbridge the weekend of the 25th, and I thought the place looked great. It was my third trip to the complex, and my first that I was able to stay on-site (Blueberry Cabin). As others have stated, it has been a very wet late May/early June in WI and mowing is a pain in the butt for everyone right now. The accommodations are nothing special IMO, but I don't go places because of the accommodations, I go for the quality of disc golf, and I must say that this is one of the best locations out there in terms of variety and level of fun. Zero lost discs in a group of 6, and very little time spent looking for them (albeit we mainly stayed in the fairways) : )
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 385
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

RicRoc - Good to hear that things are not as bad as Ltocadisco made it sound. I'll be there this weekend and staying in the cabin/bunkhouse. I'm pumped.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Niced 14 Times in 2 Posts

That is a good point about the accommodations. The Honka House looks nice from the outside but is underwhelming on the inside. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal though, it's a fine place to sleep and the price is right.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a hotel at WhiteCap drive 30 minutes play all day.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 444
Niced 67 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
That is a good point about the accommodations. The Honka House looks nice from the outside but is underwhelming on the inside. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal though, it's a fine place to sleep and the price is right.
Yeah, it's a funky place.

My buddies and started doing a yearly weekend up there, and this year we're going with rustic cabin over Honka House because John will rent the Honka House to other people if it's not filled up.

We'll be up there the weekend of June 28 - 30. Can't wait.

Only bad part is that it sounds like Pete's not up there this summer, which sucks.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Talk to jhgonzo. He and a crew of family and friends make an almost annual pilgrimage to stay at the Honka house. They stay for a week, bring kids, babies, food, beer, etc, etc, and have a greta time. I typically camp right off Blueberry hole #2 (the downhill terraced green hole). I friend of mine owns an acre right there and has a great campsite unless a chucker shanks a RHBH hyzer into your fire! I'm not much top let primitive bother me. I actually don't like tenting it on the ground, so I stay in the back of my truck and sleep on top of lawn chair cushions. Oh so cozy and warm and dry! Considering the mouse and squirrel infested camps I've slept at, my truck is like a 2 star hotel !!!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 151
Niced 127 Times in 45 Posts

So I spent a couple days on the hill this week. Made a project out of emptying the garbage containers on the teepads, and picking up what loose garbage I came across. Gonna head over and finish the project this afternoon and tomorrow.

Because I call Highbridge my home course, I've decided to spend a couple days a week helping John with course maintenance. Hopefully clean up around the edges, we'll have to see how it goes.

With that in mind, could you all do me a favor, and keep this thread alive? Use it for suggestions, comments, concerns, etc, from your recent visits.

Keep it to disc golf concerns only please, I'm not interested in working on or discussing the accommodations :-)

My first priority is garbage. Next is paths, fairways, greens, and cleaning up the edges.

Quick question, do you think marker flags as reference points along some problem fairways would help mark your discs flight for quick recovery?

BTW I was with Ric Roc at the BB cabin that weekend ... good time was had by all!