Old 07-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 238
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 34 Posts

Additions to the park, including a splash pad and paved walking trails forced the issue (redesign). Gary Lewis, along with his crew + some input from locals redesigned the course. Course has new Chainstar Pros, or whatever they are called.

I haven't made it out there yet, but look forward to checking it out one of these days.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 162
Niced 106 Times in 64 Posts

I played it Sunday morning. Overall, I liked the redesign. There are a good number of holes where if you can't hit your line, you're screwed. Most of the rest are under a mature tree canopy and you only have to miss tree trunks. It looks like they decided against using the low lying areas, which I'm fine with as these were often super swampy. The course is all par 3 and averages less than 300' per hole, but with pretty good distance variety. Seems like it's aimed at the same level of player as the old layout.

My favorite holes on the old layout were 2 and 16. I believe 2 tees from the same spot, but the basket has moved. It went from a hyzer to a straight shot. I was a fan of the original, but I think this is an improvement. Hole 16 was a downhill tunnel shot through the forest. It really felt rewarding to have a put on this one. This hole is totally gone. The basket was at the edge of the aforementioned low lying area.

There are a few holes I really liked on the new layout, but I don't remember #s. Equipment is nice with two concrete tees on most holes and new, red baskets. They definitely prefer a firm putt, I had a couple of floaters hit dead center and kick back out.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-03-2018, 02:43 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 100 Times in 56 Posts

A splash pad at West Park seems kinda...I dunno, gross?

Old 07-03-2018, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.4
Courses Played: 179
Niced 407 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
A splash pad at West Park seems kinda...I dunno, gross?
You could use it to wash the mud off of your shoes unless that's not an issue anymore.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 14
Niced 46 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
I played it Sunday morning. Overall, I liked the redesign. There are a good number of holes where if you can't hit your line, you're screwed. Most of the rest are under a mature tree canopy and you only have to miss tree trunks. It looks like they decided against using the low lying areas, which I'm fine with as these were often super swampy. The course is all par 3 and averages less than 300' per hole, but with pretty good distance variety. Seems like it's aimed at the same level of player as the old layout.

My favorite holes on the old layout were 2 and 16. I believe 2 tees from the same spot, but the basket has moved. It went from a hyzer to a straight shot. I was a fan of the original, but I think this is an improvement. Hole 16 was a downhill tunnel shot through the forest. It really felt rewarding to have a put on this one. This hole is totally gone. The basket was at the edge of the aforementioned low lying area.

There are a few holes I really liked on the new layout, but I don't remember #s. Equipment is nice with two concrete tees on most holes and new, red baskets. They definitely prefer a firm putt, I had a couple of floaters hit dead center and kick back out.
I wonder if we might have seen ya's out there Sunday as we had a group of about 9 guys show up for our large outing of the year and we got started about 8:30 a.m., split up into 2 cards. One thing we found was it was a little confusing here and there sticking with the red or white tees and the distances didn't always coincide with our scorecards, which supposedly reflected the new layout. They did get rid of some of the worst holes and cut back on some of the scrub. Now that they've cleaned up the old course we plan on hitting this one a little more often. Shot over to Shorewood with a slightly smaller group for a 2nd round (it was also hot as hell out Sunday and with those mid 70's dewpoints) as West Park had quite a few frolfers out there checking out the new layout and we were pretty much letting all twosomes and threesomes play through us. You kind of lose your rhythm after a while. For my old man's skill level I felt good with my front 9 (+3), but went a +6 on a fall apart back 9 to finish +9. Then again, I had only shot this course once and that was a couple of years ago before they did the renovation.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 138
Niced 953 Times in 408 Posts

I played the old West Park four or five times (over 18ish years) but had not been there for six or seven years. My recollection of the exact old layout is not great, but I got the same vibe from this layout. A lot of the shots felt familiar. I got to hole 6 before I had a "this is for-sure different" moment. Hole 7 felt familiar, hole 10 for sure was there before because I hated it then and hated it now, and I think 13-18 were basically the same. Hole 14 might have been different, or maybe not. Basically 12 of the holes reminded me more or less of a hole I had played there before.

The weirdo hole 16 downhill thingy was gone and the long shot in the low spot toward the creek (hole 11?) was gone (the whole fairway had been given up to the long grass and weeds Gods.) I'm going to guess that the shots that are gone were in that 10-16 range, but I'm just guessing since I'm drawing a blank on those holes. The splash pad thing is kinda funny since all I could tell they did there was take a shot that used to play anhyzer around the treeline and tucked it into the woods. There are probably more changes that I'm just not grasping because I don't remember the old layout very well.

The shots were longer-ish, but I still played the longs with my noodle arm and was fine. It's going to hit the same demographic it did before, with the tees and baskets upgraded. It seemed more like a refresh than a re-design. I'm not going to count it twice on my not-DGCR list of courses played, it seemed really close to the original.

I rated the old layout a 3. In retrospect it was more of a 2.5 that I gave a nostalgia .5 bump to. The new layout is a legit 3 to me; I think it's an improvement but it loses the nostalgia .5 so it's going to rate the same If I ever get around to reviewing it.

Last edited by Three Putt; 08-08-2018 at 05:33 PM.