* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,167 Times in 1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Bandanas have been known to be inefficient for a while, but that was the first evaluation I had seen of neck fleeces. I wonder whether the difference is the type of face cover (bandana, mask, neck fleece), the thickness of the material (how many layers), or the tightness of the weave.

I was also curious whether they controlled for how "dusty" the tested fabric might have been. Some fabric sheds particles more than others. I didn't see that in the article, but perhaps it was addressed in the supplementary materials.
I had also seen/read this article, but was left a bit frustrated with the lack of definitions. What exactly is a neck fleece. I would imagine the material itself is the issue, not the mechanism of face attachment....well, assuming it contains your droplets (not like an open bottom bandana).
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 896 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post

Look at those young smiling faces, full of optimism for a fun and exciting school year.
800 kids in this county now in quarantine

Old 08-11-2020, 10:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Here is an article breaking down some anatomy and physiology into pretty simple terms. Also an important element to virology being discussed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-does-...110000273.html

Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
This doesn't address dishonesty, or even inaccuracy, of models/projections, so much as misuse of them.

Or, mostly, the strawman misuse of them. I don't see a lot of scientists saying, "Mitigate to suppress the virus, then go back to full stadiums and bars." Mostly, it's "mitigate to suppress the virus, then less-severe methods to keep it manageable until a better solution is found." Politicians, maybe, but not science.

Nor am I impressed with the futility of delaying the contagion. Would I rather die this month, or in 2 months....or 6 or 24? Given the choice, I'd rather an effort be made to postpone it. Not to mention, the longer it's delayed, the better chance for vaccine or treatment---indeed, people getting sick now have a better chance for survival than those who got sick in April, because the delayed infections allowed doctors to discover treatments that improve the odds.
I really like the start of this post.

To your end point, once they stopped using the ventilators then people stopped dying. And that isn't being investigated with integrity.

But as for disc golfers, I believe most people are taking it seriously. My question to those in this thread is, are they taking it seriously ENOUGH for you?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,198 Times in 2,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Here is an article breaking down some anatomy and physiology into pretty simple terms. Also an important element to virology being discussed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-does-...110000273.html
....and another reminder of the value of slowing the contagion---buying time to learn more.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,485 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
What exactly is a neck fleece. I would imagine the material itself is the issue, not the mechanism of face attachment....well, assuming it contains your droplets (not like an open bottom bandana).
Neck fleece (also known as a neck gaiter) appears to be a single-layer stretchy fabric similar to dri-fit material. Before COVID they were primarily marketed for evaporative cooling and UV protection during outdoor activities in hot weather.

You can search "neck gaiter" at any online shopping site and see lots of examples.

So yes, the single-layer stretchy material would seem to be the issue.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Neck fleece (also known as a neck gaiter) appears to be a single-layer stretchy fabric similar to dri-fit material. Before COVID they were primarily marketed for evaporative cooling and UV protection during outdoor activities in hot weather.

You can search "neck gaiter" at any online shopping site and see lots of examples.

So yes, the single-layer stretchy material would seem to be the issue.
Yeah....kind of what I figured. Fleece seems to remind me of my winter neck dickies. They are made of "fleece" and work the same way as newer dry fit gaiters. Using a dry fit mask, seems counter intuitive to start with.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 331 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
This doesn't address dishonesty, or even inaccuracy, of models/projections, so much as misuse of them.

Or, mostly, the strawman misuse of them. I don't see a lot of scientists saying, "Mitigate to suppress the virus, then go back to full stadiums and bars." Mostly, it's "mitigate to suppress the virus, then less-severe methods to keep it manageable until a better solution is found." Politicians, maybe, but not science.
Scientists may not have been saying that, but that it what was presented to the public. Remember the "We have to shut down so we can open up" mantra?

There has been a serious erosion of trust. It's not surprising that people are getting their information from less than reliable sources.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:06 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 331 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Public health depends on basic common sense. Mask mandates are not needed for the majority of people. It is a pretty small faction, that lack the simplest ability to think for themselves. Unfortunately, they are also always in the way. The same shortcoming, that prevent them from critical thinking, also prevent them from listening to mandates to protect them. Instead they are confused by the psuedo political rhetoric and willful ignorance of those with an agenda.

Most wear a mask, because it help prevent spread of a disease, that is contagious and does harm to others......not because the Governor says so.
I have to chuckle at this. You say this now, but at the beginning people not wearing masks were the ones with "basic common sense" and listening to the "mandates to protect them". If you recall the official guidance was masks are bad and make you more likely to get sick.

I had an important doctor's appointment in late march. I wore an N95, contrary to all of the recommendations. They initially looked at me like I had the plague, assuming I was wearing it because I was sick, and then looked at me like I was crazy when I said it was for my own protection.

I'm a proponent of masks, etc. I even changed beer distributors over Covid compliance. The fact of the matter is though, there isn't a lot of solid data on masks. There are peer reviewed pre-Covid studies in clinical settings that show non-medical masks make you more likely to contract a respiratory illness. There is also post Covid data that suggests wearing a mask puts people at ease and makes them more likely to refrain from social distancing. Additionally you have the recent study that shows that many of the masks being worn (at least from what I've seen) are of very questionable value in preventing transmission. If you combine distancing complacency with ineffective masks, you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,331 Times in 883 Posts

Yup it's the perfect storm of idiocy.