Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 257 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
I have to chuckle at this. You say this now, but at the beginning people not wearing masks were the ones with "basic common sense" and listening to the "mandates to protect them". If you recall the official guidance was masks are bad and make you more likely to get sick.

I had an important doctor's appointment in late march. I wore an N95, contrary to all of the recommendations. They initially looked at me like I had the plague, assuming I was wearing it because I was sick, and then looked at me like I was crazy when I said it was for my own protection.

I'm a proponent of masks, etc. I even changed beer distributors over Covid compliance. The fact of the matter is though, there isn't a lot of solid data on masks. There are peer reviewed pre-Covid studies in clinical settings that show non-medical masks make you more likely to contract a respiratory illness. There is also post Covid data that suggests wearing a mask puts people at ease and makes them more likely to refrain from social distancing. Additionally you have the recent study that shows that many of the masks being worn (at least from what I've seen) are of very questionable value in preventing transmission. If you combine distancing complacency with ineffective masks, you have a recipe for disaster.
This misunderstands the two different mask recommendations.

One is a question of “Should the lone individual expect better outcomes if they wear PPE to protect themselves from a contagion whose spread is not well understood yet, and may come through a variety of vectors?” The answer to this question was no, as the general public won’t actually use the PPE properly.

The other is a question of “Should the vast majority of the public wear face coverings to prevent themselves from unknowingly spreading COVID-19?” The answer to that question is yes, as we have good data that if everyone wears face coverings, we reduce spread.

Yes, people can’t understand the difference between these two issues, but that is partially because the waters are being intentionally muddied to make this less clear.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2020, 08:06 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,600 Times in 2,020 Posts

That's one thing I've noticed. People tend to view masks as something to do instead of social distancing.
Masks help stop the spread, but there's no substitute for distance and simply making conscious choices to reduce your exposure.

The # of people you're exposed to, and the length of time your exposed to them are bound to be key factors in how likely you are to get any disease. Given that tidbit, I can't see how anyone can think opening schools is the right move.

Even if everyone in the school diligently wears masks, putting that many people, that close together, for that amount of time, on a daily basis...
How do you not expect dozens to develop it?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,109 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
I have to chuckle at this. You say this now, but at the beginning people not wearing masks were the ones with "basic common sense" and listening to the "mandates to protect them". If you recall the official guidance was masks are bad and make you more likely to get sick.
One limitation of science is that it's always learning. We know more today than we knew yesterday; we'll know more tomorrow than we do today.

This probably doesn't apply to you---you were ahead of the science, wearing a mask in March---but people I know personally are clinging to this change of recommendations to dismiss science entirely. "They said don't wear masks, they say wear masks, they don't know what they're talking about, therefore nothing that say can be trusted." For them, it's just an excuse.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,171 Times in 829 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
One limitation of science is that it's always learning. We know more today than we knew yesterday; we'll know more tomorrow than we do today.

This probably doesn't apply to you---you were ahead of the science, wearing a mask in March---but people I know personally are clinging to this change of recommendations to dismiss science entirely. "They said don't wear masks, they say wear masks, they don't know what they're talking about, therefore nothing that say can be trusted." For them, it's just an excuse.
But they'll believe Jim-Bob's conspiracy theory.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,010 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBlunder View Post
I really like the start of this post.

To your end point, once they stopped using the ventilators then people stopped dying. And that isn't being investigated with integrity.

But as for disc golfers, I believe most people are taking it seriously. My question to those in this thread is, are they taking it seriously ENOUGH for you?
Nope....you are just saying stuff.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 861 Times in 319 Posts

While we’re on the subject of science and reliable data vs. the absolute horse**** that keeps being propagated...not sure if this doctor’s channel was already mentioned here, but it’s the gold standard. Nothing but the latest most accurate info, no spin, and frequently updated.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

NFL tested 110K so far, positive results with .46 cases. Less then 1/2 percentage point. Someone is doing something right.

Sorry (not really) if you read this already.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 861 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
NFL tested 110K so far, positive results with .46 cases. Less then 1/2 percentage point. Someone is doing something right.

Sorry (not really) if you read this already.
Pretty remarkable when you consider they’re not keeping them in a bubble like the NHL & NBA. There has been speculation that some of them will be hitting the bars & nightclubs, especially the first & second year single guys who suddenly have millions and feel invincible.

Watched Hard Knocks last night and the mask wearing & social distancing was less than perfect. But then they’re playing a contact sport so how could it be?
Old 08-15-2020, 06:51 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 388 Times in 170 Posts

Old 08-15-2020, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Well hell, Reds/Pirates games today and tomorrow postponed because a Reds player tested positive.