Old 08-14-2020, 06:00 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 44.5
Niced 308 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Is planting new bushes, etc. an option? What sort of sun do the briars get?

Just wondering if appropriate tall native shrubbery could be planted...
I think a (biological) barrier might be a good answer, Rastnav, with the goal being that the "good" bushes or trees would stop shots before they got into the "bad" briar area. But there are a couple other fixes I'd like to consider first.

Bill, please see my two questions above, about trials and approach distance.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2020, 09:48 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

John,
We have a group going to the course tommorrow. I'll get more accurate measurements and closer look. I was just shocked when I played last week after not being at the course for a while how aggressive the briers grew on this particular hole. Honestly the rest of the course looks great.

I'm getting old and looking for sustainable solutions! Still I want to challenge players long past my days. I can not achieve immorality through not dying but maybe leaving a few righteous courses!

Niced: (1)
Old 08-14-2020, 09:56 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 44.5
Niced 308 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billipo View Post
I can not achieve immorality through not dying but maybe leaving a few righteous courses!
That's a great thought, Bill. Have fun tomorrow, and I'll await your report.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,143 Times in 2,005 Posts

A few thoughts on the briars, from the owner of a private course that started as a briar patch, and is now practically briar-free (except for the ridiculously bad shot):

Mowing needs to be done persistently, otherwise, if it's a sunny site, the briars will return. A heavy-duty string trimmer is more selective in what it takes out. Herbicides, if the law and your conscience allow, are more effective and selective (but skip Roundup and go with something with 2,4-D; it'll do a better job on the briars, and not kill any grass that may come up). In the long run, shade is the best; if trees grow up where the briars are, they'll shade them out.

One option, if you don't want to open that area up to intentional throws, but want to lessen the pain, is to mow a series of search paths through it. This allows players to search for their discs on clear paths, which is not only less painful but much quicker, and generally the extraction of the disc is easier if it's within 6 feet of a path. But it remains an area that no one wants to go, voluntarily. (On the downside, search paths are still a constant maintenance item).

We once had an optional drop zone for a briar patch, and the key was that the drop zone shot was a little harder than the briarpatch shot, so there was no benefit in choosing it (other than not having to throw while standing in the briars).

My two cents, maybe none of which will be currency in your circumstance.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Par Member

I'm going to take everyone's ideas into consideration when I go to the course today.

One thing I am also considering. Most players who end up in bad stuff are trying to right turnover to get advantage on dogleg but errantly flip disc.

Really no advantage for a few feet, but you know players will try anything for some perceived advantage.

I've always said if a building with an open window was between a player and the basket they would try throwing through the window.

I'll share my findings later.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:13 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,616 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
One option, if you don't want to open that area up to intentional throws, but want to lessen the pain, is to mow a series of search paths through it. This allows players to search for their discs on clear paths, which is not only less painful but much quicker, and generally the extraction of the disc is easier if it's within 6 feet of a path. But it remains an area that no one wants to go, voluntarily. (On the downside, search paths are still a constant maintenance item).
That's an elegantly simple, reasonably effective, and fairly cost efficient solution.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,143 Times in 2,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
That's an elegantly simple, reasonably effective, and fairly cost efficient solution.
Thanks. It is, at least a compromise. You'd rather not have the briars at all. But a lot of what we do, is compromise.

We use the same technique with tall grass in the summer, when the growth outpaces our mowing. We'll at least cut paths every 10 feet or so through knee- or waist-high grass, so you can walk unimpeded until you spot the errant disc.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:59 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,616 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. It is, at least a compromise. You'd rather not have the briars at all. But a lot of what we do, is compromise.

We use the same technique with tall grass in the summer, when the growth outpaces our mowing. We'll at least cut paths every 10 feet or so through knee- or waist-high grass, so you can walk unimpeded until you spot the errant disc.
Bill cuts pads into the tall grass on the sides of the fairway at flip... I love that. Really makes looking for your disc so much easier because you can confine the search to a specific square.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-15-2020, 05:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 264
Niced 294 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:

I have seen this used at Lemon Lake on the Gold course, it does help a lot.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Par Member

Played today. BTW one of four went into briers. He opted to play through the woods. Throwing overtop. Great third shot to park saving par. All four players shot par.

John- parallel lines near blue tees are primatve gravel roads.

I was off on my distances add about 25 feet to stated distance to dogleg. From dogleg center 175 ft to pin .

Briar bushes are clusters of large plants about six foot tall. It is really a solid mass pretty deep. The suggestion to cut paths might work, still I am afraid of opening up a backdoor route.

If you look in the pix the fairway narrows this is the worst area. It straddles a ditch.

Group thought if we could cut the large briar bush prior to ditch and widen the fairway about 5 ft past the ditch this could help with a lot of the problem. Will need a brush hog so park will need to assist. In the area cleared when bush proceeding ditch is cleared we could plant a fast growing tree or trees. The trees could block errant shots and eventually provide a vertical obstacle on fairway edge which will affect players choice of shots.

Since we will be brushhogging maybe we can work in access paths not oriented towards basket so throwing lanes are not created.

Thoughts?