Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 138 Times in 99 Posts

Random question - didn't want to make a whole new thread, so I just found one related to bridges.

Lets say you have a tee shot that follows a river for 250' or so, where a good shot is over the water the whole way.

Landing in the water is OB, but if you happen to land on one of the 2 or 3 bridges, you are safe.

My question is, if you go in the water, can you take your lie from the last bridge you crossed? I mean, if the bridges are IB, then that's technically the last place you were in, correct?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 93
Niced 122 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Random question - didn't want to make a whole new thread, so I just found one related to bridges.

Lets say you have a tee shot that follows a river for 250' or so, where a good shot is over the water the whole way.

Landing in the water is OB, but if you happen to land on one of the 2 or 3 bridges, you are safe.

My question is, if you go in the water, can you take your lie from the last bridge you crossed? I mean, if the bridges are IB, then that's technically the last place you were in, correct?
sure- why wouldn't it be?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 643
Niced 218 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:

Yes. A good example is the last hole at Sandy Point where you throw over the lake to the pin on a peninsula while flying over a dock extending into the lake. If you land in the lake past the dock, you can play from the dock or re-throw.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 86
Niced 138 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
sure- why wouldn't it be?
I don't know, I assumed it would be. But I have definitely seen people not realize this and take a lie on ground way further back than they could have on a bridge.

When you know a creek or river is OB, I think folks tend to think of everything between the shorelines as OB.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 277 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
I don't know, I assumed it would be. But I have definitely seen people not realize this and take a lie on ground way further back than they could have on a bridge.

When you know a creek or river is OB, I think folks tend to think of everything between the shorelines as OB.
That's because everything between the shorelines, including bridges, can be OB depending on how the OB area is described or delineated.

For example, if OB is described as "in the river/water" then it's easy to say that a bridge over the water would be in-bounds as it was not designated as part of the OB. But if, rather than using the water line, the river is marked with paint or rope and OB is defined as within the marked area, then I'd argue that a bridge within the roped/painted area is a part of the OB area.

There should be no assumption either way, IMO. That's why it's so important for TDs and course designers to be absolutely clear about what is and isn't OB rather than give vague or generalized descriptions. And players, if they have any doubts, should ask for clarification rather than assume something based on a past experience, likely on a different course with different people in charge of making rulings.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 171
Niced 44 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
That's because everything between the shorelines, including bridges, can be OB depending on how the OB area is described or delineated.

For example, if OB is described as "in the river/water" then it's easy to say that a bridge over the water would be in-bounds as it was not designated as part of the OB. But if, rather than using the water line, the river is marked with paint or rope and OB is defined as within the marked area, then I'd argue that a bridge within the roped/painted area is a part of the OB area.

There should be no assumption either way, IMO. That's why it's so important for TDs and course designers to be absolutely clear about what is and isn't OB rather than give vague or generalized descriptions. And players, if they have any doubts, should ask for clarification rather than assume something based on a past experience, likely on a different course with different people in charge of making rulings.
True. Exactly why the expression "water is OB" without further definition/explanation is usually a poor definition of OB line(s). When it's roped or painted, it's much clearer as to what's OB.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 124
Niced 287 Times in 181 Posts

At our course we declared all bridges I.B., specifically for this "throwing over the bridge" scenario. There's a water carry hole that isn't too long, but if you throw wrong just right, you can cross a bridge and continue OB for quite a ways. We made the bridge IB so you wouldn't have to re-tee if that happened. (I don't know if I've ever seen anyone actually land on a bridge here).