Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 34 Times in 29 Posts

Back for some more criticism. I couldn't get both the horizontal and vertical ones to append to the same file this time, so they're split into two videos. I've been focusing on my reachback, as well as the front leg heel drop (crushing the can).

This went about 315' or so on a 350' hole, and is a pretty typical drive on an open hole for me.

This hole is 615' long over an open field, and is a pretty typical example of me throwing it as hard as I can.

What do I need to focus on next? I know I still have tons of room for improvement.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 49 Times in 32 Posts

The form experts should be by shortly, but here's a couple things I noticed.

Still throwing nose up; when you pause the video at the hit the disc is not in line with the forearm.

Looks like upper arm is at less than 90 degree angle from the chest (on the vertical video) but could be due to the angle. Still, a much improved reachback from the OP.

The videos so far all show throws either turning or yanked over to the right. Any videos of a straight or hyzer throw?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 185
Niced 436 Times in 341 Posts

Don't try to throw hard. 70% max, it should feel slow as molasses when you do it right leading with your weight forward "from behind you", not from in front of you which causes you to turn open before your weight shifts forward and plant into a stance that is too wide. Slow is smooth, smooth is far. You need to plant with your butt more facing the target/closed front hip, yours is almost 90 degrees past it so your front hip is already open when you plant which jams your hip and sends your upper body over the top.

"from behind you"
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=118948

In the Door Frame drill your body/arm should be loose and still turning back as your butt/weight pulls forward into the plant, everything should feel very smooth and pivoty before your plant foot can crush the can with your weight(You shouldn't be able to fully plant into the front heel in this drill, unless you release from the door frame). Just hang on your door frame for like an hour. Move your rear foot around and feel how the leverage changes and you adjust your body to it with your butt leading. Your front foot should be either slightly airborne or lightly on the ground.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
The form experts should be by shortly, but here's a couple things I noticed.

Still throwing nose up; when you pause the video at the hit the disc is not in line with the forearm.

Looks like upper arm is at less than 90 degree angle from the chest (on the vertical video) but could be due to the angle. Still, a much improved reachback from the OP.

The videos so far all show throws either turning or yanked over to the right. Any videos of a straight or hyzer throw?
Here's an example of a hyzer throw. I had no idea where the pin was so I didn't put a ton on it.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

If your plant leg gave out there through impact you would face plant. Your rear hip/leg is orbiting around your front hip instead of them pivoting centered and upright. The rear leg going around sends your spine swaying instead of maintaining leverage. Your rear foot appears to be turned too backward and you really get heavy on your rear heel trying to lean and shift your weight back which throws you off balance.

If your plant leg gives out and you maintain a tilted spiral through impact you should fall on your butt or rear side, which would mean you were dynamically upright and balanced and pivoted your hips centered.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Birdie Member

I've been working on my plant and getting my hips turned correctly, which has somewhat reduced my spine tilting over the plant leg. I'm sure there are other problems here, though, including a high reachback again. On a side note, I'm now regularly getting my Volt out to around 320' on a good throw; how far should I be able to throw it before moving up in disc speed for max distance throws?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

You are not staying balanced inside your feet and trying to overswing. Watch Understanding Weightshift in post above again and again. You reachback way too early/fast and too far, and you end up starting to accelerate the disc forward way before you plant the front foot, so you are losing acceleration during the swing when it matters most. You want to keep the disc in place, while you move forward separated from the disc and then when you plant and brace/slow your forward momentum you can start accelerating the disc forward like a sling shot or ball on string using your weight and taut arm.

High reachback and downward swing = disc major nose up. You need to fix your swing plane and nose issue. Faster discs will probably stall quicker.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 49 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
On a side note, I'm now regularly getting my Volt out to around 320' on a good throw; how far should I be able to throw it before moving up in disc speed for max distance throws?
A lot of folks would probably say 350' or so. That's fine from a form/technique standpoint. You can always throw something faster and see how it compares to the Volt. Do you get substantially more distance with a faster disc? Can you keep it in the fairway? Better to have 320' with control than 360' in the bushes somewhere.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You are not staying balanced inside your feet and trying to overswing. Watch Understanding Weightshift in post above again and again. You reachback way too early/fast and too far, and you end up starting to accelerate the disc forward way before you plant the front foot, so you are losing acceleration during the swing when it matters most. You want to keep the disc in place, while you move forward separated from the disc and then when you plant and brace/slow your forward momentum you can start accelerating the disc forward like a sling shot or ball on string using your weight and taut arm.
I had watched that already, but didn't put together until now how that correlated with what I was doing wrong. I had noticed in the "Lead Card Driving" video that all four pros left the disc in place before the acceleration; I went out and did field practice that way, then forgot about it until now.

While it's great having free instructional videos, the overly far reachback comes from the first driving video I ever saw, one Will Schusterick put together.

Around the 1:00 mark, he shows a deeply backward-leaning reachback. That's what I had been trying to imitate; it's a little frustrating that it conflicts with the advice I'm getting here (which makes a bit more sense, honestly).

Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post

While it's great having free instructional videos, the overly far reachback comes from the first driving video I ever saw, one Will Schusterick put together.

Around the 1:00 mark, he shows a deeply backward-leaning reachback. That's what I had been trying to imitate; it's a little frustrating that it conflicts with the advice I'm getting here (which makes a bit more sense, honestly).
I don't think they contradict, and I'm not sure which one you are saying makes more sense, but at any rate the Door Frame Drills teach you what to feel to reachback like Will is saying, turning back inside your posture. Your head is tipping outside your posture back and forth.