Niced 4,446 Times in 2,698 Posts

The future of human training...
Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2021, 03:19 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 68 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Everything works in reciprocation together across the slings just like walking. Feldberg's forward pump is the easiest to see how this all works during the x-step. Also Elephant Walk Drill.

When you stride the right leg into the plant and while making a backswing with the left shoulder folding back away it stretches the anterior oblique sling and shortens the posterior oblique sling from the left shoulder to right hip, while stretching the posterior oblique sling and shortening the anterior oblique sling from the right shoulder to left hip.

Hmm... Maybe I will have to play around with it a bit more. I see what you are saying, but it doesn't resonance with me. ...yet?

It's just such a different feeling when throwing; posterior- vs anterior oblique sling.
Posterior feels so loaded, stretched out and powerful across the whole body. From the ground up. If I try to do them both at the same time one of the slings will just slack and go along for the ride. Posterior feels like a stretched out sling while anterior feels like a rigid rod that just pushes the rear shoulder and the leading hip around at the same rate more or less.

No, wait... I'm watching form gifs and vids while writing this and I might have had a real time realization.

Ok, so 5 mins later and I've changed my mind completely.
(I'll leave the first part in either way.) The Swim move doesn't start from the rear arm!?
It starts from the ground up too!
The anterior sling can't be simplified and tied up in a belt loop like it can with the posterior sling. The posterior sling needs to go down the thigh. It's pushing down with the lead foot and bracing that slings the rear shoulder forward!

You can see the rubber band that's tied to the rear shoulder being stepped on by the lead foot. Or if you want to simplify it a bit it can be tied around the lead thigh, but it can't have the starting point higher up than that or the whole movement will lose dynamic balance.
I haven't been able to think this through just yet, but it makes sense and now I'm able to see it in the throw. (A bit hard to copy the feel with my resistance band though. I have to think about that a bit.)

Not really like this:

More like this, it just needs to continue up to the shoulder:

Niced: (1)
Old 01-13-2021, 04:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,446 Times in 2,698 Posts

The anterior swim move leads into the plant to set the post for the posterior sling to unwind around. I think it also stretches the posterior sling more, and pulls it thru from rear hand to lead hand.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:32 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 68 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
The anterior swim move leads into the plant to set the post for the posterior sling to unwind around. I think it also stretches the posterior sling more, and pulls it thru from rear hand to lead hand.
Exactly. I have tried to get the swim move working before. Doing an active and powerful swim move has always felt wrong to me. It sort of happens natural when I throw, but a bit lazy and not really as connected to the whole throw. The same way my hips -> core -> shoulders were working before reading up on the posterior oblique sling.
Now I think I know what the problem has been. I've tried to start the move shoulder first instead of tightening the anterior sling and then letting it release at maximum elongation from the leading heel and up.

The swim move is a resistance band, leading from lead foot/thigh/leg to rear shoulder, being tightened and then released together with the resistance band that is the posterior oblique sling.

So, the disc golf throw is basically a big cross going across the whole body. Anterior oblique sling and posterior oblique sling, working together to maximize speed and power. Finding the resistance (and maximizing it) in both slings and also finding the right attachment points for all four ends. When everything is released from its elongation with a proper anchor the effortless "spin" will happen around the axis. I think this is the correct way to think about it.

Time to bring out the resistance bands again and make myself look like a poorly made mummy.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Par Member

Niced 31 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
I think the Swim Move engages the anterior oblique sling into the brace left shoulder to right hip and pulls the posterior oblique sling into helix or spiral around the left shoulder/right hip post as the center.
swim move?
Old 01-13-2021, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 539 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedhorse View Post
swim move?
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=124523

The Search button is our friend.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 539 Times in 313 Posts

Further down the rabbit hole...
It's looking like the newer research is showing that fascia and connective tissue have a lot more to do with movement than has been traditionally taught. I can see in a whole new way how crushing the can leads to "snapping" the disc.

Here's an even deeper analysis.

Niced: (2)