Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
Learning and tweaking the technique should not start at greater than 80% effort, and doing 250 repetitions in one session/day into a blanket doesn't ring as a very disciplined attempt to fix technique. Just two of your swings has prompted a bunch of discussion on what needs to be fixed. What do you think the other 248 did for you?
I wish I could go out and throw for distance and measure to see if my hard work is paying off. Will have to wait til spring as its just too cold here now.

I throw a lot in the garage but not just haphazardly. I usually break it down into several sessions with different discs and try to analyze how each shot felt- what did feel good and what I think needs improvement. I'm also able to see how the disc hits the sleeping bag that's hanging and adjust for angle and work on control. Very few of the shots are flat out give it absolutely everything I've got type of shots. Just from the sound and impact of the discs hitting the bag I can tell my velocity has improved quite a bit already since I first started. I've logged in about 1,300 throws now.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 30 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I wish I could go out and throw for distance and measure to see if my hard work is paying off. Will have to wait til spring as its just too cold here now.

I throw a lot in the garage but not just haphazardly. I usually break it down into several sessions with different discs and try to analyze how each shot felt- what did feel good and what I think needs improvement. I'm also able to see how the disc hits the sleeping bag that's hanging and adjust for angle and work on control. Very few of the shots are flat out give it absolutely everything I've got type of shots. Just from the sound and impact of the discs hitting the bag I can tell my velocity has improved quite a bit already since I first started. I've logged in about 1,300 throws now.
do you have anything to measure the speed of your throws
Old 11-26-2020, 02:21 AM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedhorse View Post
do you have anything to measure the speed of your throws
Not yet. Planning on getting a radar gun. It was sort of decent today in the mid twenties with light snow flurries and threw some at my lunch time before the snow was sticking. Was getting the discs out to about 350 feet with my winter coat on so I was pretty happy with that. The cold dense air sure does cause the discs to turn over pretty fast though which kind of sucked.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:20 PM
Par Member

Niced 30 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Not yet. Planning on getting a radar gun. It was sort of decent today in the mid twenties with light snow flurries and threw some at my lunch time before the snow was sticking. Was getting the discs out to about 350 feet with my winter coat on so I was pretty happy with that. The cold dense air sure does cause the discs to turn over pretty fast though which kind of sucked.

Do you know of any good ways of increasing arm speed?
Old 11-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 330 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Improving form is the trusted method.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:02 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Try harder. No joke.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Why us he saying Seppo has no reachback?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201127-030920.jpg (132.1 KB, 24 views)

Old 11-27-2020, 04:43 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 66 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
Why us he saying Seppo has no reachback?
Compared to a lot of pros Seppos reachback is a bit limited. He doesn't straighten his arm as much at the elbow. At normal speed you can barely see it increase beyond 90 degrees. In slow motion you can see that it does. The illusion that he is holding on to a pole or a door frame behind him isn't the same as in the form of many others. That's basically it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2HzT1lGDc
Old 11-28-2020, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 152
Niced 569 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
This means your release isn't clean. The discs are fighting through denser air - and so any wobble on release is going to be exaggerated. Focus on making sure that the disc is as on-axis with your angle of attack as possible, as well as on the cleanliness of the release itself. When the air warms up the disc will cut through the lighter air that much easier.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
This means your release isn't clean. The discs are fighting through denser air - and so any wobble on release is going to be exaggerated. Focus on making sure that the disc is as on-axis with your angle of attack as possible, as well as on the cleanliness of the release itself. When the air warms up the disc will cut through the lighter air that much easier.
They were pretty clean.