Our boy Richard Hatton and Disc Golf UK has been putting out good content:

Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 200 Times in 100 Posts

Thats the best video I've seen in a long time. Now I need to burn it into my skull and go practice it. I T-rex and round my throw. And I have some extra free time to go throw next week!!! This is going to help me enormously!
Old 05-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 30
Niced 655 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Our boy Richard Hatton and Disc Golf UK has been putting out good content:
Thanks Deyo, it's part of a full video going into as much detail as possible and something I've been meaning to put together for years. I've put a few different bits into smaller segments as I'm editing the whole thing together. The whole thing is looking to be close to 45 minutes and I keep thinking of other bits I wanted to add!

These are the other ones as part of the sidearm video so far.

And then there was this about the closed shoulder snap drill

Old 05-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

I'm fleshing out the info for a putting one at the moment which should hopefully have stuff in it for everyone. It's focusing a lot on how to use the body and things that will help everyone whatever putting style you may have.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-10-2020, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 402 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Thanks Deyo, it's part of a full video going into as much detail as possible and something I've been meaning to put together for years. I've put a few different bits into smaller segments as I'm editing the whole thing together. The whole thing is looking to be close to 45 minutes and I keep thinking of other bits I wanted to add!

These are the other ones as part of the sidearm video so far.

And then there was this about the closed shoulder snap drill

Awesome, the broken down segments are great.
Is controlling nose angle mostly related to body/spine positioning? I.e., not leaning back and if get in positions or posture like you demonstrated, should work out any nose up issues for the most part?

Quote:
I'm fleshing out the info for a putting one at the moment which should hopefully have stuff in it for everyone. It's focusing a lot on how to use the body and things that will help everyone whatever putting style you may have.
Can't wait. Corona2020 form has me driving and approaching great, but my putting has been embarrassing.

Thanks for doing these videos!

Old 05-15-2020, 04:39 AM
Eagle Member

Probably a better medium here than Youtube to discuss things

I want the final edit on these vids to be correct so....DISCuss!

From Sidewinder on Youtube

"1. Landing Heel to Toe or Toe to Heel, I think this varies according to stride length and how open or closed you plant the front foot. Longer strides tend to land heel first and more open stance. At least this has been my experience and findings and I vary how I land on different shots but usually toe to heel. This is still debated in MLB pitching. I generally recommend to land toe to heel with shorter and closed stride/stance as you can brace your leg/knee better this way IMO engaging your foot/calf, while going heel to toe the knee typically goes into flexion and leaks forward more. "

Toe /Heel vs Heel Toe landing.

I'm struggling to find video examples of anyone landing forehand toe/heel after some sort of step in/momentum into the drive. I've always taught heel/toe to catch your weight and shift into.

In pitching it's a stride from the mound so taking less momentum in and certainly on standstill throws I've seen toe/heel but any experimentation I do with a hop or step in I can't see a physiological way of optimally landing toe first no matter what stance/stride length I take. It tips me over the top or puts a horrible strain on the knee (previous ligament injuries there so not going to experiment too far )

From Youtube:

2. Rounding, just like BH you can't be rounding if the elbow is leading relative to the shoulders, so the shoulders can turn as far as you want, my shoulders turn back quite far from pitching and that is where I get a lot of my effortless distance IMO. I think the FH equivalent to rounding is the "inverted W" as it creates slack for the elbow to move or caught behind the shoulder like in BH.

I actually don't think we're saying anything different here, although I need to be clearer on the shoulders - I will caption the video on this part - I'm not arguing against shoulder turning but it's more about the elbow not wrapping back around the body. The drill encourages people to open space under their body to swing through and drive rather than spin/flap the arm. One of the most common things I see in sidearm is people standing really straight and spinning around themselves rather than driving through - this could be a UK thing as we don't have the history of sidearm pitching/first base tossing here - we're overarm/overshoulder bowlers here, none of this silly baseball nonsense, if you can't spend 5 8 hour days in a field and call the game a draw at the end what's the point of it ?

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:13 PM

Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:

Toe /Heel vs Heel Toe landing.

I'm struggling to find video examples of anyone landing forehand toe/heel after some sort of step in/momentum into the drive. I've always taught heel/toe to catch your weight and shift into.

Here, I found one!

Old 05-15-2020, 12:50 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.SR View Post

Here, I found one!
Hmmmm, Thank you. After watching that I've just played around in the driving net with closing my stance off more and I can land toe/heel and transition well. I've never planted so closed for forehand previously, intrigued to see what it does on the field.

I stand corrected (going from toe - heel now ), you can go both ways. I will edit that out in the main video.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,433 Times in 2,691 Posts

Ryan Sheldon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XhXoaFI20&t=1810s

Moose33 aka Matt White:

Old 05-15-2020, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,433 Times in 2,691 Posts

Stokely plants heel - toe on the first 2 - hyzer/flat, the last one is more toe-heel or flat footed anhyzer.

Big hyzer I tend go heel - toe, never would have thought I did that without seeing it on video: