Old 03-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 31.9
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Read Golf is not a Game of Perfect... rinse... repeat.
Heck yes to this and to meditation.

Based on advice in the book, before every shot, in my mind I try to see the exact flight I want.

This helps to shut negative thoughts out of my mind and get it out of the way of my body.

When it doesn't go well, my calming thought is - I am not good enough to get angry about that shot.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2020, 12:18 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,053 Times in 873 Posts

The Way I have taken it is One Shot at a time unless you know you are playing with Mr/Ms bad poor sport. I lhad for a few tournaments the 9-10 year old who should be good enough to remember her score for the hole she just played and should not need to recount everything and need us to keep score for her, helping the rest of loose focus on the course or our own score. Of course she got better and could keep count by the time she was 12-13, age 11 that year she did not play Tournaments. By age 13 she could not out drive most but she could out score most in the Intermediate group by having a good approach and putt, she could putt as far away as Ricky W could on an okay day out to 50 feet and a bad day she would approach really well.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 13
Niced 191 Times in 97 Posts

I have the same issues with being overly competitive with myself. I have occasional rounds when I get a bit mad. I'll give you the same advice a coach (different game) gave me a long time ago. When you throw, stay over your shot, hold the finish, then watch the full flight of the disc. Resist the temptation to walk away, turn away, or do ANYTHING except observe your shot and observe the physical feedback, and if necessary, passively observe the angry thoughts that go through your head.

Besides the observation practice being good for your game, this also distracts you during the time when you would otherwise swear or do whatever tantrum-like behavior we do when we're pissed off. It replaces a negative impulse with a good habit. It helps. It isn't a cure-all and you'll still have issues now and then, but I promise that this helps a LOT.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 56 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
I have the same issues with being overly competitive with myself. I have occasional rounds when I get a bit mad. I'll give you the same advice a coach (different game) gave me a long time ago. When you throw, stay over your shot, hold the finish, then watch the full flight of the disc. Resist the temptation to walk away, turn away, or do ANYTHING except observe your shot and observe the physical feedback, and if necessary, passively observe the angry thoughts that go through your head.

Besides the observation practice being good for your game, this also distracts you during the time when you would otherwise swear or do whatever tantrum-like behavior we do when we're pissed off. It replaces a negative impulse with a good habit. It helps. It isn't a cure-all and you'll still have issues now and then, but I promise that this helps a LOT.
I have a bad habit of looking away from drives and sometimes putts, especially when I know they are BAD. This is good advice to learn what the disc did and give you time to hopefully observe, process, and kind of forget the shot.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.1
Courses Played: 248
Niced 3,148 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I have a bad habit of looking away from drives and sometimes putts, especially when I know they are BAD. This is good advice to learn what the disc did and give you time to hopefully observe, process, and kind of forget the shot.
Good advice. Plus, I am going to get tired of looking for your shanked drive, that you did not watch, pretty quickly.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Good advice. Plus, I am going to get tired of looking for your shanked drive, that you did not watch, pretty quickly.
So true! I waste more time trying to find the disc as well...

Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks to all,

Went and threw today.

I think I've chalked it up to; Being physically tired (haven't done more than 9 holes all winter...), Low blood sugars (I am actually Hypoglycemic but haven't ever put any thought into how it affects me mentally) and forgetting how to throw...

So, I've learned my lesson on the fatigue and low blood sugar. I usually keep something sugary just incase with me, but I left it in the car, like an idiot.

Oi Vey... Sometimes it takes a few deep breaths...
Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 194
Niced 860 Times in 547 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHildebrandt View Post
Thanks to all,

Went and threw today.

I think I've chalked it up to; Being physically tired (haven't done more than 9 holes all winter...), Low blood sugars (I am actually Hypoglycemic but haven't ever put any thought into how it affects me mentally) and forgetting how to throw...

So, I've learned my lesson on the fatigue and low blood sugar. I usually keep something sugary just incase with me, but I left it in the car, like an idiot.

Oi Vey... Sometimes it takes a few deep breaths...
For me, I usually do a good job keeping composure in competitive rounds. On the other hand, I did have a round recently where I started to lose my cool, made some hot-headed decisions and paid the price with extra strokes. First of all, making decisions to play more aggressive than normal because you're playing badly is almost always a bad decision. Second, treat every shot with the same seriosity (yeah, I know that's not a word), whether it's a 7' putt, a routine 100' upshot, or a tee shot. As others have said, try to forget about the overall status of your round. E.g. forget you had 5 bogeys in a row or 5 birdies in a row. Know and play YOUR game, and you'll play your best. Actually, my highest rated round ever caught me by surprise. I played my game, which is pretty conservative, and others went a little bit too aggressive. I executed shots and hit putts, and that paid off.

The blood sugar thing may be significant. In competitive rounds, in particular, adequate preparation in terms of equipment, snacks/liquids, and clothing is essential to having a good mental state. Forgetting to bring an umbrella or towels on a day with possible rain, for example, will put you on tilt for the entire time. Not having snacks when that hypoglycemia sets in will mess you up big time. So figure out what you need and prepare accordingly.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:10 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
In competitive rounds, in particular, adequate preparation in terms of equipment, snacks/liquids, and clothing is essential to having a good mental state. Forgetting to bring an umbrella or towels on a day with possible rain, for example, will put you on tilt for the entire time. Not having snacks when that hypoglycemia sets in will mess you up big time. So figure out what you need and prepare accordingly.
In a big tournament last year... I had the proper items, but I wasn't used to playing competitively or with other people in the rain. I had to keep adding layers and trying to keep my discs dry while keeping up with the group. It was a terrible round for me.

The next round had even worse conditions, but I used the previous day's experience and was able to play closer to my skill level.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 267 Times in 152 Posts

You haven't played more than 9 holes all winter and you get upset that you're performing poorly? Maybe try practicing a bit.

Edit: I realize I read that wrong, but still practice.