170g Champion Valkyrie
150g DX Valkyrie
156g DX Eagle
170g DX Banshee
177g DX Roc
170g DX Stingray
150g DX Aviar
175g DX Aviar

Is a certain type of plastic better for a beginner learning to throw hyzers, annys, etc?

2) What should I mainly be practicing? Form? Distance? Something else?

Please be brutally honest. Any kind of feedback will help immensely.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Work on form, and accuracy; distance will come after your form is correct, and accuracy is a lot more important at this stage. The best way to improve is to go to a field to throw, not to the course. Pick some random object and unload all your discs at it. Once you have a fairly straight shot worked out, start trying to throw around obstacles left/right. Watch the dan beato vid on driving form, and try to follow his examples. (go to youtube and put 'dan beato disc golf drive' into the search).

Those discs are all pretty beginner friendly, but the only place I would throw a 150 putter is into the trash...

Last edited by colodiscgolfer; 08-20-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
This is a two pronged question. For someone pretty much starting out:

1) What discs should I have in my (starter) bag? I currently have:

170g Champion Valkyrie
150g DX Valkyrie
156g DX Eagle
170g DX Banshee
177g DX Roc
170g DX Stingray
150g DX Aviar
175g DX Aviar

Is a certain type of plastic better for a beginner learning to throw hyzers, annys, etc?

2) What should I mainly be practicing? Form? Distance? Something else?

Please be brutally honest. Any kind of feedback will help immensely.

Thank you.
Here is an important question:

Why do you carry those particular disc, and what does each disc do for you? If you can't answer that question, you need to hit the practice field.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via MSN to valkyrie

Work on ur form and accuracy first. Distance is important, but without accuracy it is usless
Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
Work on ur form and accuracy first. Distance is important, but without accuracy it is usless
I agree 100%. You need to throw each disc at the practice field and see what disc does what for you. If you have two discs that fly the same, ditch one of the discs. Narrow you bag down. Also don't worry about distance as much as making the disc go where you want it to go. I know a guy that can throw 400ft, but he can't make the disc go where he wants and he always ends up off the fairway.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 51
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Once you get good form distance should come easy. I would agree with this. Distance comes second to good form.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) I am firm believer in throwing what takes strokes off of your game. Traditionally beginners start with more understable discs. View this chart to help you with that http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads...erchartweb.pdf (Understable discs are more towards the right while overstable are more towards the left.) The first driver that I had serious success with was a 168g DX Sidewinder. My technique and snap got better and I graduated to a 171g Champion Beast. That one took me forever to learn how to throw properly (looking back, I should have got a Champ Sidewinder first). Eventually you will get to the point where you know exactly how a certain disc will fly for you and what works best.

As for your bag, right now I would stay away from the Champion Valkyrie, the DX Banshee, and maybe ever the Roc (don't kill me Roc lovers, but a DX Roc is real overstable out of the box). The DX Eagle and Valk are a little light and will be good when there is no wind. The Stingray is a great mid range for beginners and the Aviar is a great putter.

If you are going to purchase another disc soon, I would highly recommend a Leopard or Archangel and when you get the hang of those, move on to a faster driver like the Monarch or Sidewinder.

As far as plastics go, it's all about your own preference, DX plastic will wear down faster and flight characteristics will change quick. Champion is way more overstable (and likely to hyzer) right out of the box, but become very predictable once they are used a lot. Star has great grip and will get predictable a little faster than Champion, and I haven't really thrown Pro, but I hear the grip is amazing, but they get beat up fast.

2) Form and Technique without a doubt. Obviously there is no ONE way to throw, but watch videos on youtube (the discraft clinics are fantastic) and those will help you develop what works for you. I know it is tempting to want to throw huge bombs right off the bat, but if you develop form first, you will be better in the long run.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Years Playing: 29.1
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
I agree 100%. You need to throw each disc at the practice field and see what disc does what for you. If you have two discs that fly the same, ditch one of the discs. Narrow you bag down. Also don't worry about distance as much as making the disc go where you want it to go. I know a guy that can throw 400ft, but he can't make the disc go where he wants and he always ends up off the fairway.
So you're saying to go to the practice field and throw, and determine what each disc does for me. Discs that have similar flying characteristics, eliminate duplicates. I'm assuming that once I have my bag narrowed down and have improved (with much practice), I can then experiment with different platics/weights and then start adding discs once I discern how each disc can help me. Is that correct.

You have no idea how much this is helping....
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
So you're saying to go to the practice field and throw, and determine what each disc does for me. Discs that have similar flying characteristics, eliminate duplicates. I'm assuming that once I have my bag narrowed down and have improved (with much practice), I can then experiment with different plastics/weights and then start adding discs once I discern how each disc can help me. Is that correct.

You have no idea how much this is helping....
I have seen too many people pull a disc out of their bag and just throwing and having no idea what that disc will do.

I hit the practice field all the time, and this way I know exactly what each disc will do for you. Here is what I look for when I fill my bag:

I like to have a disc that:

1 that turns left

1 that turns right

1 that goes straight

a good midrange

a good putt/approach

That is a good way to start if you are a beginner.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Search dan beato on youtube!! that video has netted me atleast 100 ft on my throws. It really is form more than anything. When I started about a year ago i was trying to throw as hard as i could and maybe hitting 260 now I concentrate more on good form and today i broke the 350 barrier. I have also realized that a disc acts completely different when thrown with good form as compared to being thrown with bad form. I was told form was the secret when I first started playing and now I am a believer. FORM!!FORM!!FORM!! Can't say it enough. It does not matter what disc you throw if you have bad form it won't matter. Accuracy and distance will come with good form.