Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Applying Flight Testing to Ultimate Discs

I’m a part of the disc standards test group with USA Ultimate and I believe that flight charrsrisctics are a vital statistic that is missing from the certification process.

Although Ultimate discs are inherently low speed disc, why couldn’t the same methodology be applied to determine flight characteristics ? Manufacturers don’t test them as really they are supposed to be consistent and Beth team discs. But they probably have numbers just like a zephyr or similar throw and catch discs does.

I think having some imperial days to help back up the decisions as to what discs are recreational or championship level, you need some data.

Could you not get a pro group of ultimate players to test like a manufacturer of third party and determine the flight characteristsics of each disc?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 03:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 723 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxchris View Post
I’m a part of the disc standards test group with USA Ultimate and I believe that flight charrsrisctics are a vital statistic that is missing from the certification process.

Although Ultimate discs are inherently low speed disc, why couldn’t the same methodology be applied to determine flight characteristics ? Manufacturers don’t test them as really they are supposed to be consistent and Beth team discs. But they probably have numbers just like a zephyr or similar throw and catch discs does.

I think having some imperial days to help back up the decisions as to what discs are recreational or championship level, you need some data.

Could you not get a pro group of ultimate players to test like a manufacturer of third party and determine the flight characteristsics of each disc?
2/10/0/0 every ultimate disc ever.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 208
Niced 298 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
2/10/0/0 every ultimate disc ever.

Ultrastars, Wham-Os, and Pulsars all fly different.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Ultrastars, Wham-Os, and Pulsars all fly different.
Wham-O's don't count. What about the Aviator? Apple?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 178
Niced 656 Times in 435 Posts

By "every ultimate disc ever," we all know he meant Ultrastar.

I'd say 2/7/-2/0, but that's me.

As for the original post, no manufacturer has ever done any flight testing beyond (at most) throwing prototypes. Empirical data is irrelevant. If you figure out a way to standardize measurements and flight numbers, that could probably translate to disc golf and might be useful. Go for it!

It might be more useful to create a modified flight rating for ultimate discs that considers only glide and turn? I haven't thrown enough recently to know how the new molds differ from Ultrastars. Speed and Fade strike me as being slightly less relevant for ultimate. Maybe add something for wind or for hammers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxchris View Post
Edit: that would be the way to do it, and better than in DG.

Last edited by armiller; 01-25-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post

As for the original post, no manufacturer has ever done any flight testing beyond (at most) throwing prototypes. Empirical data is irrelevant. If you figure out a way to standardize measurements and flight numbers, that could probably translate to disc golf and might be useful. Go for it!

It might be more useful to create a modified flight rating for ultimate discs that considers only glide and turn? I haven't thrown enough recently to know how the new molds differ from Ultrastars. Speed and Fade strike me as being slightly less relevant for ultimate. Maybe add something for wind or for hammers?
It's like your in my head.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 PM

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 43 Times in 13 Posts

I would never dream of applying flight numbers because the variation between ultimate discs is so much smaller and the applications so varied, but a matrix of relative performance between ultimate molds would be useful. Stuff like plastic comfort, high & low-speed stability, glide, degree of IO required to pull successfully...
Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

2/10/0/0

Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

There are definitely differences in Ultimate discs.
On my last test discs sent to me from USAU, one was a similar mold to the ultrawtwr but was much easier to throw inside out RHFH. My son gained 20uds on his I/O flick and had improved spin.

Your right on the money m, the flight chawvyrttics are less since it’s a low soeee disc. I think some flight testing would help generate more competition from manufacturers and get more people playing ultimate.

Thanks!

Quote:

Edit: that would be the way to do it, and better than in DG.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
DG.
So since the disc is low speed, do you think that makes flight testing easier or harder?

Since it’s supposed to be a “Neutral” Disc could you say,

0. Throw disc at 50% power at 20 & 40 yd. distance to do one set each yo stationary and moving receiver, record turn and fade for disc for each release style.
1. Flat,
2. Hyzer (outside in) 25%
3. Anhyzer (inside out) 25%
4. Record the fade of the angle as distance approximation (inched, feet) and percentage.
(e.g. 10% Fade)

Ultimate discs can be thrown by top level players up to 120yds. They can be thrown with touch at half that distance easily by most club players. Seems like the are inherent characteristics of basic flight could be recorded and used to stimulate the marketplace for recreational & competitive discs.

Inbounds used to say they had like 13 tests. Are there lists of test criteria from manufacturers or 3rd party people?

Thanks