Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,700 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonseski View Post
by definition if their speed scale goes from 1-13 it is impossible for it to be a speed 14. Why even have a scale if you cannot stay inside its parameters, it makes the scale useless. Next thing you know they release a -1 speed putter
As I recall, 10 or so years ago, when the Beast/Orc/Starfire family was the highest of the high speed discs in Innova's line, that's when the flight numbers were first introduced in a serious way. The speed scale was 1-10 (obviously). The marketing line for the Wraith when it was released was a play on the Spinal Tap "this one goes to 11" bit, being that the Wraith "broke" the scale and went up to 11 like Spinal Tap's amp.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
While it's true Innova was the first to use the flight numbers that have become all too common in the game, it's not as though theirs is any more scientific and non "hype" than anyone else. The correlation to rim width is as loose with them as anyone else.

2.5 cm rim widths: Colossus (speed 14), Boss (speed 13), Katana (speed 13)
2.4 cm rim widths: Ape (speed 13), Dominator (speed 13), Groove (speed 13), Vulcan (speed 13), TeeDevil (speed 12), Wahoo (speed 12)
2.3 cm rim widths: Daedalus (speed 13), Tern (speed 12), Xcaliber (speed 12), Archon (speed 11), Krait (speed 11)
2.2 cm rim widths: Destroyer (speed 12), Max (speed 11), Tee-Rex (speed 11)

I'll agree that the scales used by various companies aren't comparable (i.e. a Westside 14 isn't the same as an Innova 14), but that doesn't make one scale correct and scientific and the rest nothing but sales hype. They're all sales hype.
Keep in mind that rim depth and rim conf. play into the discs ability to maintain speed, Same with dome, etc. No it's not perfect and PDGA's measurements are not perfect either. I know the Destroyer is really a 2.3 for instance in premium plastic.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 586 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
Kinda of the topic here, but you really need to try the Biofuzion Enforcer. It is exactly what you are looking for and pairs nicely with the Trespass. It is also a completely different disc compared to the ridiculously beefy Lucid/Fuzion/Fluid Enforcers.
I was thinking that actually, like a 168-170 bio enforcer.

And for the Star Destroyer comment, I snagged a couple destroyers recently, but they are very OS . The star has a thin thin flight plate and dense rim so it meathooks once it looses speed. Ive come to find the Icon Outlaw to fit the bill nicely. Honestly they are all good and disc will do, just gotta throw it right in the right conditions.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I'll agree that the scales used by various companies aren't comparable (i.e. a Westside 14 isn't the same as an Innova 14), but that doesn't make one scale correct and scientific and the rest nothing but sales hype. They're all sales hype.
I don't think anyone is saying Innova scale is correct or scientific. It is however the oldest one and one most people relate to.

Another big difference is that Westside (all Trilogy for that matter) is creating their own scale to falsely resemble Innova's, but scale it up to make their products look superior.

Problem is of course that even if the two scales are not officially comparable, they are still often used as such making the Trilogy discs look better (faster / more OS) than they really are. On the speed side of things it probably helps, but the stability scale has really hurt them.

As you can see from my sig, I really love their plastic but think that their numbering scheme is a joke and they are really hurting the whole business with that stuff.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 195 Times in 110 Posts

FNDM
Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
FNDM
That's a new one on me. It's not in the Urban Dictionary, so I'm guessing it's not a common internet abbreviation. I haven't seen it on DGCR before either. Looks like "fandom" so I'm guessing you're trying to call someone a fanboy or something. Might need to make the insult more clear if you want anyone to get it (unless I'm somehow alone in not getting this).

Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonseski View Post
by definition if their speed scale goes from 1-13 it is impossible for it to be a speed 14.
"Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven."