Old 03-01-2019, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Great lines, "Our cameraman couldn't film that putt because Zoe was standing behind a palm."
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 64
Niced 144 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
In a professional business world, is it ever acceptable to "air" any perceived frustration with partners in your industry?

So, despite Smashboxx not "airing" their perceived frustration, it is easy to see that "everyone" is outraged?

I understand this is a forum, and we all can voice our opinions, I am more comfortable basing mine on something more substantial than conjecture and supposition.
Your unentitled high horse must be nice. If Nate Sexton is not playing DGPT events (granted he has more of a dog in this fight with BigSexy) I would think it can be reasonably assumed that some people in the disc golf circle thought what Steve did was a bad look. I think its reasonable to extend the same to smashboxx. Everyone telling you that viewership=revenue, is 100% correct, go start a youtube channel for a living and tell me our eyes aren't valuable.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
In a professional business world, is it ever acceptable to "air" any perceived frustration with partners in your industry?

So, despite Smashboxx not "airing" their perceived frustration, it is easy to see that "everyone" is outraged?

I understand this is a forum, and we all can voice our opinions, I am more comfortable basing mine on something more substantial than conjecture and supposition.
In a professional Business world, is it ever acceptable to "fire" someone in public. I don't know what kind of environment you work in, but that sh!t is very poor form unbecoming of a professional and a businessman.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
In a professional Business world, is it ever acceptable to "fire" someone in public. I don't know what kind of environment you work in, but that sh!t is very poor form unbecoming of a professional and a businessman.
You realize that Terry, Jonny, and Steve set that up, right? That Steve had informed them that he wouldn't be retaining their services privately and directly (i.e. professionally) but that Terry and Jonny decided they wanted Steve to "break" the news while he was on their show?

It's not like they invited Steve on the show unaware that they were going to be "fired".

Old 03-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 58 Posts

Fantastic live coverage of Memorial. Seems more vivid than other live events i remember watching

Old 03-01-2019, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,706 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
Your unentitled high horse must be nice. If Nate Sexton is not playing DGPT events (granted he has more of a dog in this fight with BigSexy) I would think it can be reasonably assumed that some people in the disc golf circle thought what Steve did was a bad look. I think its reasonable to extend the same to smashboxx. Everyone telling you that viewership=revenue, is 100% correct, go start a youtube channel for a living and tell me our eyes aren't valuable.
Not using innuendo as fact, is not really much of a high horse. Sexton has never said his decision, to not play DGPT events was, in any way, related to a media business decision. You are welcome to infer this, but presenting it as fact, is wrong. I am not defending Steve Dodge, but I don't really care what decisions he makes for his livelihood. If he makes a deal to only use Discatchers, I am not going to be outraged on behalf of Innova. You could be right on the mark with your suppositions, I don't really know.

I understand that viewership is money on the internet. But, I don't see why I would withhold watching something I love, from myself in support of people I don't know. I would much rather watch a hockey game on my local FSN, but I am not about to boycott the NHL network, because I don't like the camera angles and announcers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
You realize that Terry, Jonny, and Steve set that up, right? That Steve had informed them that he wouldn't be retaining their services privately and directly (i.e. professionally) but that Terry and Jonny decided they wanted Steve to "break" the news while he was on their show?

It's not like they invited Steve on the show unaware that they were going to be "fired".
I'm not sure why people don't want to hear or believe this. I guess it does not fit their narrative.

Last edited by ru4por; 03-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

Well sh!t, I just got lawyered . Carry on
Old 03-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Even the produced day after has issues. Black screen in the first few minutes of FPO, and the commentators even seemed thrown off by it. I sure hope they get it together, the live coverage is not enjoyable to me, hoping the rest of the edited stuff is better put together.

Just seems like the camera work is not up to snuff. Inexperience by the operators maybe? It is a different thing to film from what most are probably used to. Credit to CCDG, Jomez, gatekeeper, and even terry miller (though I do not enjoy his commentary) for their camera work. The pro tour coverage is showing just how much skill those guys posses.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 64
Niced 144 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Not using innuendo as fact, is not really much of a high horse. Sexton has never said his decision, to not play DGPT events was, in any way, related to a media business decision. You are welcome to infer this, but presenting it as fact, is wrong. I am not defending Steve Dodge, but I don't really care what decisions he makes for his livelihood. If he makes a deal to only use Discatchers, I am not going to be outraged on behalf of Innova. You could be right on the mark with your suppositions, I don't really know.

I understand that viewership is money on the internet. But, I don't see why I would withhold watching something I love, from myself in support of people I don't know. I would much rather watch a hockey game on my local FSN, but I am not about to boycott the NHL network, because I don't like the camera angles and announcers.

I'm not sure why people don't want to hear or believe this. I guess it does not fit their narrative.
To start I want apologize for coming off condescending with my high horse comment, I've just seen you and JC throw around the word entitlement so much. (that word hurts millennials feelings)

In realty, its not about boycotting or bad mouthing, it's about respecting your viewers and media partners (jomez,smashboxx,ccdg). These two groups are in such large part responsible for DGPT's success. I think a middle road could have been found to integrate the DGPT sponsors better with the views from jomez/smash/CCDG without cutting them out completely. Go watch Cory's interview with Dodge, there is palpable tension because of the way this change was handled. In such a small sport like pro scene disc golf, I think working smarter together would make more sense. Niche markets are the new world and old school business tactics don't always translate.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,706 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
To start I want apologize for coming off condescending with my high horse comment, I've just seen you and JC throw around the word entitlement so much. (that word hurts millennials feelings)

In realty, its not about boycotting or bad mouthing, it's about respecting your viewers and media partners (jomez,smashboxx,ccdg). These two groups are in such large part responsible for DGPT's success. I think a middle road could have been found to integrate the DGPT sponsors better with the views from jomez/smash/CCDG without cutting them out completely. Go watch Cory's interview with Dodge, there is palpable tension because of the way this change was handled. In such a small sport like pro scene disc golf, I think working smarter together would make more sense. Niche markets are the new world and old school business tactics don't always translate.
Tis the interwebz, man....no need to apologize, it is all good.

Great points, and I really agree with the premise. My point all along has been, that it is a business decision. Dodge obviously felt he could save/make money by bringing the media production in house. I might not agree, but I have no skin in the game. I am confident that Jomez/CCDG....will all be fine. There seems to be more than enough major tournaments to go around and I don't believe any of them are covering less disc golf this season. I have always seen it as a win for those wanting to watch disc golf. Jomez and the rest are currently putting out a better product, but it was not always that way. It took them years to get to this point and I suspect Dodge and company will get there much quicker. I believe it will result in more overall coverage, more overall quality and more overall eyes on the game. All good things, if you are into growing the sport on that level.