Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdiscs View Post
And James Conrad was a collegiate high-jumper, which requires almost perfect timing from head to toe, way more complicated than a disc golf throw, so you are watching an elite athlete with head to toe coordination applying those skills to the disc golf throw.
Really? If that's the case then his super long run up routine makes more sense now.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,819 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
I have been watching Seppo as of late, and have noticed his rather abbreviated reach-back, resulting in distance in the league of Eagle and the other big dogs, but regardless, I still think Seppo is his own animal, I do not think everybody can get mega-distance with an abbreviated reach-back, it requires everything else being perfect.

You should use as much reach-back as needed to load your levers, you are trying to load a spindle, too much reach-back can throw off your spindle with the loaded levers, and that is why I was never very fond of Schusterick's vids in the past saying you should reach all the way back.

Knowing you are loading a spindle with levers, think about shoulder width - for years I have been hearing people say what an advantage it is to have long arms, yet noticing the shorter guys fill out most of the slots on the list of top distance throwers, so I do not buy the long arm theory, I think narrow shoulders make for a faster spindle, too bad I am built like an NFL linebacker.

And James Conrad was a collegiate high-jumper, which requires almost perfect timing from head to toe, way more complicated than a disc golf throw, so you are watching an elite athlete with head to toe coordination applying those skills to the disc golf throw.
Hand size also makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
... just from a mechanical leverage stand point and how all your arm levers all stack/couple together and extending the arm wingspan more than normal. If you have two identical length levers(double/triple/quad.. pendulum) or arms, but they are made up of different lower arm/upper arm/hand/shoulder ratio dimensions, it's like shifting gears. Shorter levers closer to the body turn faster and can put more force into a longer lever at the end like moving the fulcrum on a seesaw. All the top throwers that are on the average or shorter side have skinny shoulders.

So if you changed the length ratio of this double pendulum Dingle Arm, you can greatly vary the max amount of speed and force the lower arm is going to hit with.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,819 Times in 1,730 Posts

How to make to the tip of the whip move faster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...jXn5Wo#t=7m38s
Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 755 Times in 527 Posts

Well FWIW this really helped me...

Came out of here or the other one.. Post #42
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=132180

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 06-26-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 522 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:

And James Conrad was a collegiate high-jumper,
That makes so much sense at last! His bouncy walk and run up had bugged me for ages as it seemed so familiar, I've been watching a high jump run up!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 363 Times in 160 Posts

Our supreme overload has spoken. All the hail the whip.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 877 Times in 520 Posts

Fwiw..the speed reference to how fast the disc accelerates at the point of the whip is....huge. For lack of a better way to describe it... a disc moving YMS (your max speed) the entire time from start to finish will not go as far as a disc that starts out at zero and accelerates to YMS at the time of the release. Now if you delay that acceleration to YMS right until the whip happens, and at this point you are around 60-80% YMS, and then EXPLODE to YMS at the whip, your disc will go ever further...much further.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts

He should have just posted this again:

Nobody cares about your bent elbow, snake strike, or whip Dave. Do you even disc golf???
Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Hopefully newer players who think you need to walk down the teepad backwards to get proper reach back will watch this and stop doing that ridiculous looking approach.
Agrees unless you are doing a power throw on what constitutes as a long hole for the individual you do not need to do this. It is more the players who watch some of the pro players who do both the reach back and the whip but only see the first part. Also some people do not understand how tall or how long legged some of the Pro players are compared to there own body. I still do a long run up with the Hop in it for holes that are almost 500 feet, 490 feet or more.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
He should have just posted this again:

Nobody cares about your bent elbow, snake strike, or whip Dave. Do you even disc golf???
I would say Dave Still plays. On the other Innova Page Spin TV he is seen playing. Also Dave used to be the world Distance holder for thrown disc before Innova discs were made by Dave when he was using a Shuttle Puppy, before they called it a World Distance Record for Flying Disc and some modern World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) rules came into the World Distance Record for Flying Disc like amount of throws a person can do. I just wish the tail wind was not permissible as now they are lunching a disc with a high tailwind at about 35-40 mph.