Old 09-13-2019, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There we go. $50 sanctioning fee, "Newberry County Championships", player field =1, and I've got it.
If you claim the be the Newberry County GOAT, I'm gonna have to ask you to hoof it on out of here.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:44 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
So, we have World Championships, contended for mostly by Americans, and a United States Championship, including players from outside the country.

We have top-rated players, and top-ranked players. Top money winners and top points winners. A National Tour champion and a Pro Tour champion. And a Player of the Year on top of all that.

And, browsing the PDGA schedule, about 200 other events designating themselves as championships of some sort.

Most of these crowning champions in dozens of divisions, by age and gender and pro/amateur status.

Put it all together and there might be a few thousand champions crowned every year, of one sort or another.

None of whom are me.
I'm 2X. Sorry, I thought everyone else already had their turn.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,427 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Unfortunately for David's mental health, Lloyd has 3 career wins... in Pro divisions...where he was the only competitor...

I have a few tournament wins.....just no "championships", large or small.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

I don't mean this as a rant, so much as a musing, at two things:

(1) The number of ways we recognize the sport's best players, which I take as growing pains, as people try different things, and something that will consolidate a bit as time goes by.

(2) The promiscuous use of the world "championship" in smaller events, where the champion isn't really recognized as the champion of anything, other than that particular event.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,544 Times in 511 Posts

If Innova ever comes out with a Ship midrange, you could at least throw a Champion Ship.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 126 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
I don't mean this as a rant, so much as a musing, at two things:

(1) The number of ways we recognize the sport's best players, which I take as growing pains, as people try different things, and something that will consolidate a bit as time goes by.

(2) The promiscuous use of the world "championship" in smaller events, where the champion isn't really recognized as the champion of anything, other than that particular event.
Yeah, I drop the "Championships" part off those events when reading about them. I figure if there wasn't a series of events required for qualifying, or the event isn't absolutely huge in number of participants, it's not really any sort of championship.

This means that local circuit championships, where players had to throw at several events--even if each was a small event--are actual championships. State championships open to any player in the state and that draw a large number of players qualify. National championships that draw large numbers of players, with or without qualifying events, and that also draw most of top players that could believably contend for top honors, qualify.

Annual tournaments that draw limited fields and have no qualifying events...nah. Your random Rusty Chains Championship every August that draws 45 players, with perhaps one or two being top-tier isn't a championship--it's just another tournament.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

I've now played in 22 PDGA sanctioned tournaments over 9 years. My career best finish in my division is ...

6th. "Accomplished" 3 times. I will argue that I have not yet peaked.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 20
Niced 173 Times in 92 Posts

champion: a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.

according to the pdga website, sauls has 4 tournament victories in 92 events - which makes him 'champion' 4 times over.

while i can't quite figure out whether or not this constant 'i suck so bad, i'm getting so old, i'm not a champ, etc.' stuff from sauls is trolling or not (even though it most certainly is on some level), it would seem more healthy to behave otherwise.

however, it all depends on what one plays for and doing just that...
what exactly do you play for, david sauls?
we, your audience, are just dying to know...candor and honesty are better than sarcasm...
Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

The good thing about that definition is that, as a South Carolina Gamecock fans, it means our football team has been a champion hundreds of times instead of, as the rest of the world would hold, never.

No, I'm not lamenting not winning many tournaments. I've played a lot in divisions above my rating, or below my age. Nor anything about my play. If I start lamenting my skill level, this website will run out of bandwidth.

I'm thinking of a tighter definition of champion, one that comes with a title ("So-and-so, World Champion") that follows the player well after the particular event is over.

And marveling that the disc golf world is so loose with the term. Which is nothing new. 15, 20 years ago, in my little state of South Carolina, there were two "championships"---the South Carolina Disc Golf Championship, and the South Carolina Flying Disc Championship. About 25 miles and 2 months apart. Neither were anywhere near the biggest events of the year, and nobody thought of the winners as "South Carolina champions" afterwards. Though the trophies were nice. (One year, down the road somebody held the "Tournament Players Championship", which was just another tournament with a pretentious name, and a short-lived one at that. So for a while we had 3 championships which, with all the divisions, meant we potentially had about 50 champions, or a quarter of the state PDGA membership).

Old 09-13-2019, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 1341
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 648 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
Tomorrow I'm holding the Bald Eagle National Championship. Anybody who shows up will have a shot at the title. There's a cool trophy and a large payout.
To follow up. I am the Bald Eagle National Champion.

Tomorrow I will hold the Bald Eagle World Championships.