Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 499 Times in 208 Posts

Personally, I don't think Innova has any obligation whatsoever to use Jomez.
Whether or not it's the best strategy is a totally different question.

They typically provide good coverage, and it will be free.
I still remember years that I had to wait to buy the DVD.

Sense of entitlement anyone?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by DiscJunkie; 09-17-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 226 Times in 71 Posts

And if they are using SpinTV for post, they put out a great product (other than their intro music which makes me feel like they are trying to sell me H2Flow from Parks and Rec).

Old 09-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Lol Salient...

Agreed. Jomez is great, and I think they are doing some of the best marketing in DG right now, but their fanboys need to dial it back several notches.
You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 159 Times in 53 Posts

Edit: I just saw SpinTV is involved so my post was kind of pointless.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.
There is a lot of discussion around whether tournament sponsors are also video sponsors. In my mind, if Jomez isn't being paid to come to the tournament, they can do whatever they want with their videos. If the event or someone associated with the event is paying them, that becomes a little bit murkier (it then depends on what they are being paid for). JTacoma knows a lot more than I do and has a lot of good thoughts on it.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,571 Times in 519 Posts

Like any other coverage, I'll watch it once and then decide if it's worth watching again.

Gonna save my outrage for now.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 499 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
There is a lot of discussion around whether tournament sponsors are also video sponsors. In my mind, if Jomez isn't being paid to come to the tournament, they can do whatever they want with their videos. If the event or someone associated with the event is paying them, that becomes a little bit murkier (it then depends on what they are being paid for). JTacoma knows a lot more than I do and has a lot of good thoughts on it.
Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,880 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.
This is 100% correct.

Personally I would like to see some changes to policies regarding media rights. I believe that any PDGA approved company should be able to cover any event they choose. But, the TD/primary sponsor gets to pick lead card coverage. So if they have a preferred vendor, that works out for them. And all round coverage needs to include at least 1 or 2 (30-second) commercials from the primary sponsor of the event. The primary sponsor should have first right of refusal for all other commercial spots as well if they so desire.

But, we just are not in a place where it makes sense to lock out media rights. If a crew wants to cover 2nd or 3rd card of a major or NT, they should be allowed to.

Of course, that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that some sponsors and TDs would have issues with that.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
This is 100% correct.

Personally I would like to see some changes to policies regarding media rights. I believe that any PDGA approved company should be able to cover any event they choose. But, the TD/primary sponsor gets to pick lead card coverage. So if they have a preferred vendor, that works out for them. And all round coverage needs to include at least 1 or 2 (30-second) commercials from the primary sponsor of the event. The primary sponsor should have first right of refusal for all other commercial spots as well if they so desire.

But, we just are not in a place where it makes sense to lock out media rights. If a crew wants to cover 2nd or 3rd card of a major or NT, they should be allowed to.

Of course, that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that some sponsors and TDs would have issues with that.
It seems to me that the PDGA could do a package deal and control all media via an exchange of goods and services. I'm not advocating this, simply pointing out an alternative for others to fight over.

Now, media isn't going to pay for access in our sport, but ad placement and other graphics could be used instead of payment. Majors, NTs and A tiers would all come under such a process. Anything lower is up to the event.

This model gives the PDGA a bunch of power of the delivery of our sport in the media. To make it work better, I'd have a media control group that includes voices from major events to vote on and have a say in the relationship between media and the PDGA.

A lot of folks will be mad about such a thing but think what you could leverage with such a process. Advertising for other events, or across a series. Coordinated broadcasting and negotiation, top to bottom.

Yep, Innova would be upset that they couldn't go directly to SpinTV, but they are a PDGA sanctioned event. And coordinated broadcasting gives them a venue to advertise their event during other broadcast events.

Many sports leagues do exactly this. They do it for a couple of reasons, leverage of a larger product, and consistency.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 14 Times in 4 Posts

I just love how in a few short years we've gone from "Is anyone going to do video coverage of this event? I don't care who I'd just love to see coverage of this event because I love watching disc golf" to "BOYCOTT! RIOT! MY FAVORITE MEDIA TEAM ISN'T COVERING THE EVENT BYAHHH!!!!"

Some of y'all really need to grow up a bit and learn how the real world works, especially when it comes to business.