Old 09-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 79 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcha View Post
What is worse are the dudes that take it too seriously. Asking people to leave the course on league days.
Generally the leagues have the course reserved and have every right to ask you to leave. Most will try to accommodate you, but not if you ignore that league is ongoing, and still jump off in the middle of it. I had a guy continually jump into the middle of my league. I finally addressed it and he then ranted on and on on the club's Facebook page. for a kicker the guy owns a local disc shop. Forever, negative perception of this guy and his shop. You would think he would be eager to play league, sponsor a prize now and then, and try to boost his biz. But no, it is all about him and what he wants. These are the folks that are bad for disc golf, the self absorbed pricks. it's not the smokers and drinkers imo.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I don't think people outside of the sport have much of an opinion one way or another. Ask a stranger or someone who you just met, what their perception of disc golfers is. I think most will just draw a blank.

Thus the negative connotations associated with our sport are generally brought about by those who have a connection to the sport. I do know the public parks keep giving us more courses even though our current courses are never very busy except for leagues and tourneys. This doesn't mean they think highly of us though, as their reasoning seems to be more that we help keep a worse element out of the parks, so there is always that....we aren't the worst.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the last bit is true, especially around these parts.

This bit explains a bit from an article in our local paper last weekend:
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifest...y-disc-golfers

"Adam Domenick, another UFOS member, reports that the group is at work on a course at Youth Community Park, otherwise known as Rosa Park, across from Piner High School. In early July, 30 UFO members helped clean up 40 acres in the back of the park, which had been a large homeless encampment. They put up nine temporary baskets and held a small tournament, and are hoping to make it a permanent course."

The great part here, not mentioned in the article, is that perceptions ARE changing as those with parks departments or other city/county officials retire and are replaced by younger people who may actually know of, or even played Disc golf. The park talked about in the paragraph I quoted would not and could not have happened 4 years ago. There was at least one, maybe only one, vocal member of the parks department that would never allow Disc Golf on city property because of HIS perception, the stinky, dirty, druggy, hippies all of them. The work that has been done on that one course is changing perceptions locally and from what I can see talking with friends in different areas (all casual frolfers) that this is more the norm.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,708 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Generally the leagues have the course reserved and have every right to ask you to leave. Most will try to accommodate you, but not if you ignore that league is ongoing, and still jump off in the middle of it. I had a guy continually jump into the middle of my league. I finally addressed it and he then ranted on and on on the club's Facebook page. for a kicker the guy owns a local disc shop. Forever, negative perception of this guy and his shop. You would think he would be eager to play league, sponsor a prize now and then, and try to boost his biz. But no, it is all about him and what he wants. These are the folks that are bad for disc golf, the self absorbed pricks. it's not the smokers and drinkers imo.
This may be a regional thing. Around Michigan (SE Michigan in particular), leagues NEVER have the course reserved. They are public courses and the disc golfers have no more right to the park space, on the course or not, than dog walkers, bird watchers, walkers or picnickers. I think, around here, anyone projecting any negativity on the above park users, is out of line and counterproductive to the survival of the course.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 5 Posts

Never seen a park reserved for anything other than sanctioned events, and that generally comes with signs stating that the park is reserved.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinturnover View Post
Never seen a park reserved for anything other than sanctioned events, and that generally comes with signs stating that the park is reserved.
This is consistent with my experience.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,063 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
This is consistent with my experience.
mine too
Old 09-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 615 Times in 272 Posts

Necrooooooooo

Interesting to see the change in opinions over the years in this thread. Seems the big beef early on was being lumped in with the dregs of society. Now there at least *is* a public perception of disc golf outside of the shirtless, blunt smoking, music-cranking fountain swimmers and serial litterers.

The more I talk to people outside the sport it seems to have more of a “ball golf for the Everyman” kind of perception. Maybe it’s just my area but the hoodlum types have no foothold here. When something obnoxious happens it’s generally a bachelor party that rented a set etc. and not a real player.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2019, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,063 Times in 861 Posts

I have been organizing disc golf and selling courses to municipalities for 25 years. The difference in perception in that time is staggering.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 86
Niced 77 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I have been organizing disc golf and selling courses to municipalities for 25 years. The difference in perception in that time is staggering.
Out of curiosity can you give an example of some of the differences in perception?

Old 09-26-2019, 11:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.8
Courses Played: 60
Niced 367 Times in 203 Posts

DG has had and maintains a good perception from the City of Des Moines parks and rec for 30 years. Three notable big successes. At Margo Frankel (extinct) lewd and greasy activities reduced enough that it became desirable to normals enough that the course was pulled and DG happily given two new parks. Grandview was similarly greasy and has cleaned up to where a proper children’s area added and course mildly redesigned to give the kids and rental shelter more space with a splash pad.. Becky Zallek DGC added most more recently to help make a park unattractive to homeless camping and doing that job well amour three years in.