Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X06X View Post
I have been using I-Dye Poly, but cannot figure out how much of the powder dye to use, and how much acetone, or water to use? Is there some ratio that should be followed?
Not really. 1 packet per large mason jar (24-32 oz) will work fine.

I think the instructions to use it for dyeing clothes say 2-3 gallons per packet, so that is a very high concentration.

Can't help you with the acetone mix as I avoid that.

For detergent/soap mixes I use about 1/4 - 3/8 of a teaspoon per 4oz of detergent.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Not really. 1 packet per large mason jar (24-32 oz) will work fine.

I think the instructions to use it for dyeing clothes say 2-3 gallons per packet, so that is a very high concentration.

Can't help you with the acetone mix as I avoid that.

For detergent/soap mixes I use about 1/4 - 3/8 of a teaspoon per 4oz of detergent.
Thanks for that info. Does the detergent help to thicken the dye? i have used shaving cream, but with only some success. I guess its all trial and error.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by X06X View Post
Thanks for that info. Does the detergent help to thicken the dye? i have used shaving cream, but with only some success. I guess its all trial and error.
I use detergent to make "dye paint", more or less. If you can find my earlier posts in dye a day threads, i often gave extensive details. Or find the couple "how its made" threads.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-27-2019, 03:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

I'll just ask here since it might really be the colour...

Last night I tried to dye my first discs and since I was impatient I decided to try "Herdins multi fabric" which is supposed to color polyamid. I used a mix of few drips of water, 1:1 aceton and detergent. It looked good and all but 5 hours later it came off practically without leaving a spot.

Is it the color? My fluid mix or maybe the fact that I tested it on 2 glow (Innova and kastaplast) and one older opto, I bet opaque premium will take it better but, that much better or should I just accept the wasted money and order idye?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
Is it the color? My fluid mix or maybe the fact that I tested it on 2 glow (Innova and kastaplast) and one older opto, I bet opaque premium will take it better but, that much better or should I just accept the wasted money and order idye?
Probably this.

Is it made for synthetic fibers? I can't find anything in English about that stuff online.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Probably this.

Is it made for synthetic fibers? I can't find anything in English about that stuff online.
Yeah but I guess it doesn't even work for that, communist environmental friendly bull. 😅
Old 10-05-2019, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,875 Times in 1,085 Posts

plaz ion that started off pink and now faded

im looking to restore a bright pink color

buy idye poly pink and mix it with water and dunk my disc and is that really that simple

am i missing anything or anything easier
Old 10-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 423 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
plaz ion that started off pink and now faded

im looking to restore a bright pink color

buy idye poly pink and mix it with water and dunk my disc and is that really that simple

am i missing anything or anything easier

Earlier this year I did some color dyes with idye. Like you, I really just wanted solid bright colors. It works really well when the pre-dyed disc is white, but still works OK when the disc is a light color and your dyeing within the same general color. I think it's worth a shot to turn your faded light pink disc into a more vibrant pink. Just make sure to use really hot water. I tried using cooler water to mitigate the risk of inadvertently affecting the disc's dome, but my non-white discs really didn't absorb the idye unless the water was piping hot.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,875 Times in 1,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Earlier this year I did some color dyes with idye. Like you, I really just wanted solid bright colors. It works really well when the pre-dyed disc is white, but still works OK when the disc is a light color. I think it's worth a shot to turn your faded light pink disc into a more vibrant pink. Just make sure to use really hot water. I tried using cooler water to mitigate the risk of inadvertently affecting the disc's dome, but my non-white discs really didn't absorb the idye unless the water was piping hot.
im not expecting the world i just want something less laborious to find in the woods

i dont care if its solid or looks choppy i just want it to pop out more

i have a few discs aim had when he used the worm dye but the idye is almost $10 cheaper and you know im dg cheap

so hot water but not boiling

would it work to do less water so the dye is a higher concentration

Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 423 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
im not expecting the world i just want something less laborious to find in the woods

i dont care if its solid or looks choppy i just want it to pop out more

i have a few discs aim had when he used the worm dye but the idye is almost $10 cheaper and you know im dg cheap

so hot water but not boiling

would it work to do less water so the dye is a higher concentration
It's gonna be pretty concentrated, I don't think you need to make it even more so. And yes, hot but not boiling. I brought mine up to the edge of boiling, then pulled off the stove for about a minute before submerging the disc. Then I checked the disc color and flipped it over about every 5 minutes or so until the desired color was achieved. The hot water really opens up the pores of the plastic and allows for a surprising amount of color saturation. Also, I found that this process made the discs permanently more grippy and pliable. So there is some risk that you will experience some post-dye differences in hand feel.

I also considered the worm dye, but didn't go that route because a) $10 dye for a $15 disc seemed disproportionate, and b) I could only find scented worm dyes and I didn't want my discin' bag and car trunk to stink. And I dyed for the exact same reason as you -- just wanted a disc that's easier to find. I don't care so much about the aesthetics of my discs. The grippier handfeel was an added benefit, but has made me leery of dying discs that are already 'perfect'.