Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,571 Times in 519 Posts

Say it loud and say it proud, disc golf ain't bolf.

Stop trying to emulate it.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
I just think this is evidence that the PDGA can’t decide if it represents all of its members or just the tip of the iceberg. I support players doing what they think is best for their Tour but is it “their” Tour? The desire for a bunch of (or maybe a few) people outside the players to make the sport more professional is an inevitable thing but does not interest me at all. I guess the thinking is that professional = more $$$$ to go around to those with a stake.
So, one limit on how high up you can play > about eleventy limits that keep better players out of most divisions?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 346 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
So, one limit on how high up you can play > about eleventy limits that keep better players out of most divisions?
I don’t think I said that (or didn't intend to). I get why the pro players would be for the rule. I also get why people want to please the pros. But Open should be open.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,121 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
why stop at 900 then?

Or all players should be able to compete in what is by name an OPEN division.
I agree; a human-ape hybrid cyborg jacked up on a speedball throwing 34 mm rimmed discs made out of Titanium and I would be happy... as long as foot faults and courtesy violations are called.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:56 AM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

I think it's a good move for the long run. They are applying it only to the highest of tournaments. I am surprised they left out a few other majors.

For those who say "Open" means open. Do you think Simon Lizotte can play in the FPO division in his next tournament?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:07 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Lloyd Weema meet 'Eddie The Eagle' Edwards.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,720 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
How about this theory: The PDGA was worried that fan voting was going to get Weema on a 1st round filmed card in a "high profile" event.

Don't the TDs (and/or the tours and/or the PDGA) choose the players who are eligible for that fan voting? I've never seen an option to write in a candidate for feature cards. If Weema were voted on to a feature card, it would be because they made him an option.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,032 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
I am on a plane waiting to leave Augusta so I can try to explain more later. But I will say that there were several touring players in the room that spoke heavily in favor of this change. In addition the touring pros in the room literally applauded the vote as soon as the roll call was announced. This is a move to make things more professional for our touring players and this was supported by PDGA staff and the BOD. This:

-Avoids situations where touring players play with novice rated players who throw shots that slow down the group enough to cause touring pros to lose focus. Imagine a wooded course such as WR Jackson and an 850 rated player playing that course. The group would spend considerable time looking for discs in the woods.
Speaks more to the professionalism of the touring players than to the abilities of those playing with them.

Quote:
-Avoids situations where lower rated players are playing courses simply not suitable for their talent level. For example, a sub 900 rated player most likely cannot carry the water on several shots at Eureka. The same could be said for Fountain Hills Hole #1.
This determination should be left to tournament directors to make.

Quote:
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)
They all have ample ability to register prior to the Lloyds of the world getting in.

Quote:
The last point is probably the most important. Many top level events are now filling up and some of them fill up months in advance. Having sub 900 rated players take the spots of touring pros is not acceptable. Yes, there is tiered registration. Sometimes touring pros simply don't have the money to pay for the entry at that time. This gives a few more opportunities to avoid those situations.
There is more to professionalism than just being good at throwing a frisbee. Paying entry fees is part of it. If they can't afford to pay then perhaps they should reconsider their choices in life. This whole thing just shows how little understanding some touring players have of what allows them to stay on the road and their responsibilities (yes, responsibilities other than showing up and throwing frisbees gooder than the rest) to the game in turn for the opportunity to play disc golf for a living.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 517
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
he's not that bad at all. he doesn't say "like" or "um" all the time and he communicates pretty clearly. there are some strange pauses but the slight awkward and unsure vibe seems more of his personality than his speech.
It's sad that disc golfers believe if you are a bad golfer you are not successful. I've dealt with it myself. I'm way worse of a golfer than one of our local pros that lives at home with his parents, but I'm way more successful in my work and home life. My focus is not on disc golf, that's for sure.

Niced: (3)

Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 517
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Why?

Still waiting for a valid answer to that question. Why is it needed? Or more so, why is it needed now?

It's not a pace of play thing because, as proponents are saying, it's not a significant number of people who are now barred from these events. Cutting out one or two players per event isn't going to speed things up noticeably.

It's not a supply/demand issue, as none of these events are turning away more skilled players because these under-skilled players are signing up.

It's not a professionalism/image thing because if it were, why hasn't a similar floor been imposed on FPO? Why is MPO's image of "professionalism" more important than FPO?

I'm not against this because I'm an advocate of Lloyd Weema or any other sub-900 rated player. I fully believe that someday we're going to get to a point in the game's growth where restricting the highest level events will be necessary. I just don't think we're anywhere close to that point yet, and like I keep saying, doing it now is putting the cart before the horse.
Disc golf is no where near popular enough to restrict entries. Several years off. That's if it keeps growing.

Since Lloyd can not donate to the pros anymore, I believe the rest of us should quit donating to the pros (however it is you donate). Save your money and donate to local parks and clubs.