Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still haven't gotten out to a field (nursing a twisted ankle). But, comparing my two new 130g-class Katanas, they look pretty different! The one that goes all hyzery seems to have a really thin top (flight plate?) that bends very easily under a little pressure from your fingers, and even seems to hold a deformed shape. By itself, it seems not to be a nice curve, and not even symmetric - sort of like one quarter or half of the dome is a bit deflated. I wonder if this is causing the odd, non-spec flight behavior? I almost feel like I should return it to discgolfcenter or Innova. I have already thrown it, and labeled it. But, it seems defective.

The other new Katana, that I haven't yet thrown, seems to have a somewhat thicker, sturdier flight plate. And seems to have good symmetry. It's more what I remember from the dear, departed (or maybe having new life in some other discer's hands) Katan that's the predecessor of these two.

They're not identical weights, but very similar. I think one's a 130 g, the other 132 g.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 87
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sad to say that my second new 130-class Katana flies just like its brother.

It's amazing, and awful, that I can buy one 130-class Katana and it's the most understable disc I've ever thrown. Basically as advertised. And I can buy two more a month later, and they're the most _overstable_ discs I've ever flown. Thrown flat, they hyzer out and catch an edge. Thrown at a 45 degree anhyzer they hyzer out and catch an edge.

Googling around a bit, it sounds like I'm not the only one who's seen this in more recent light Katanas.

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...9&postcount=40

And even the manufacturer seems to admit it
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showp...ostcount=12757
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showp...ostcount=12761

The process is just fundamentally really unstable? They can't tell you if a disc is going to be the most understable thing they sell, or the most overstable? And they sell these things at a premium price?

What a crap shoot.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a domey Blizzard Ape and all it wants to do is rise in the air and then fade left.If I could keep it to stay down I could throw it farther than my Boss.Unfortunately it now sits in my closet(Ape).

My Boss is Flat as a Pancake and it's stable as can be.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 157 is still awesome, I have gone past 450 on level ground several times and I don't mean a high flex shot either. I never use it unless the hole is long and open. I like max weight and bubble free, the ultra lights seem like toys that break easily. Avoid blooper head domes.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 44 Times in 31 Posts

I'm finding it hard to not use my Bliz Kat on anything over 400' and relatively open now.
Its making me want to take my King, and my high PLH Vulcan out of the bag for long shots.
I continue to punch out new distances downrange with this disc, and its never flipped on me yet.
I agree that the heavier ones, which arent really Blizzard discs at all, just light Champion, fly more stable/overstable.
Mine doesnt flex, it just goes like a longer Wraith.
It seems every course I play now, I highmark a new spot somewhere.
Today, on a long dogleg hole where I usually hit short on a wooded hill, I sailed easily past the corner to leave an easy look at a duece.

I guess I'm no Wiggins, because I cant make a Boss work for ****, but the Katana seems to fit my game well. I have thrown two other Katanas previously, a stupid overstable Mad cow, and an almost equally overstable heavy CFR Champ, neither of which I ever liked or threw more than a few times.

If they make a Starlite version of this, I would buy it for the winter and rainy season.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 264
Niced 93 Times in 40 Posts

I found a blizzard disc today and I had never ever even touched one but should the blizzard's flight plate be rigid when you push down or should it break with your push?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just saying blizzard katana is are insane long distance disks if you throw with clean form I think I use A153 and throw a hyzer flip depending on whether I wanted to go straight ish or have a big turnover if I throw it flat and aren't super clean it will definitely flip though..450+ wind over left shoulder ...

Old 10-20-2019, 04:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 687 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
Just saying blizzard katana is are insane long distance disks if you throw with clean form I think I use A153 and throw a hyzer flip depending on whether I wanted to go straight ish or have a big turnover if I throw it flat and aren't super clean it will definitely flip though..450+ wind over left shoulder ...
I'll say pretty much the same thing about the blizz Katana as I did the blizz Boss. WILDLY inconsistent from disc to disc. Some blizzard plastic is nice and smooth, and some of it is really rough textured. Very similar to styrofoam. Also, some blizzard discs are flat, while others have nice domes. Blizzard Bosses and Katanas can be everything from super flippy to unusually beefy and glideless.

In my experience, the flat blizz discs don't fly well. They're stubbornly overstable and don't glide.

There are some good blizz Katanas out there. They tend to be slightly domey. I've thrown a couple out near 500'. Blizzard discs aren't ever anything I'd use on the course for accuracy, but for sheer distance ripping they definitely get the job done.