Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Interesting, it seems like how Dunipace is describing it is how I think about it. It just seems counter to seeing Eagle and other players putting the thumb more towards the center. I can't imagine how I would be able to grip the disc hard and allow it to pivot with the thumb that far inside. It must be moving back towards the rim at release or something.

Also my favorite video of Dunipace is him casually hitting two standstill 50' putts in a row. Never knew he had that level of skill.
Give yourself a fan grip then try Eagle's thumb in middle of disc. You'll feel massive leverage but I think the tricky party is keeping it nose down. Bigger hands probably help too.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 202 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Grip is such a tough topic. When its warm outside I would reply that pretty much any grip will do, now that its cold all grips suck . I personally know a lot of professional disc golfers who can crush the disc over 550+ and they have almost nothing in common with their grips. SW22 is probably going to chime in soon and suggest robbies two finger grip which never really clicked on me.

Mainly we grip things with our fingers clamping against our thumb muscle and thats how I am trying to grip the disc atleast in the winter. Pretty much every single "finger-grip" kills my fingers during the cold seasons.
I think the the right question to ask would be what we are trying to achive with the grip, what is the right task? I dont have an answer to that. That would be an intresting topic to discuss.
Do you mean like fingers clamping against the big thumb muscle? Like the pad? If so, my whole life is a lie. I'm mainly gripping with more of the thumbprint and index finger under the rim. The disc is still contacting my palm, but I'm not really applying pressure with it. I'm going to have to try this out. I know the "rip point" will still be my thumbprint and index finger.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
Par Member

Niced 150 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Do you mean like fingers clamping against the big thumb muscle? Like the pad? If so, my whole life is a lie. I'm mainly gripping with more of the thumbprint and index finger under the rim. The disc is still contacting my palm, but I'm not really applying pressure with it. I'm going to have to try this out. I know the "rip point" will still be my thumbprint and index finger.
I have pretty small hands, I think my rip point is more my 1st index joint on the rim and the tip of my thumb slightly lifted up, so its the bony part at the joint. Also when the thumb is slightly lifted you should see your thumb muscle engaged. The grip itself feels very relaxed and I belive its just because most of it comes from the thumb muscle. Like if I were to use the disc as a hand fan it is definently pinky,ring,middle and meat of the thumb that is controlling the movement.

Hope that makes some sense.