Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
The numbers have never been right with any disc manufacture.

It is a fictious system devised to label an infinite amount of variables of the flight of a specific disc. Not to mention it changes with different runs and with different version of plastic type.

Go out and throw them to really find out!!
You can get used to it to the point of having a decent idea, within a given mfgr at least. What else do we have to go by? "This is an excellent driver that can be thrown by all skill levels"...lol.

I ain't about to blindly buy discs, especially new releases, and wind up going through a stack full of various molds until I find the one I like. Craaaazy!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
The numbers have never been right with any disc manufacture.

It is a fictious system devised to label an infinite amount of variables of the flight of a specific disc. Not to mention it changes with different runs and with different version of plastic type.

Go out and throw them to really find out!!
In fairness: the four-number system (a.k.a. the Innova system) is a pretty decent way to categorize discs, and it's a decent way to compare disc brands and molds. Is it perfect? Of course not, but it gives the disc shopper a relative idea of what they're looking at.

And yes, what a disc actually does can and will vary, even within a mold and even within a run of a certain mold, since the disc cooling process is part of its formation and can vary. The way I see it, if the assigned numbers are the average/mean of what we get from a run of that mold, then we're doing okay.

So yes, we're aware of the foibles, but if there is a better system out there, by all means let us and the manufacturers know so that they can start using it....
Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I think you can add the northman to that list? pretty sure it was that disc anyways.
I used to bag Northman's around the time it first came out, in 2010-11. Fledgling Westside driver. Insane glide! At last the 2 high dome VIP's I had. They were old stamp Northmans.

As for the flight numbers of -1,2 turn and fade, I'd probably flip that to -2,1. You could throw nice hyzers with it, but dial up the power or if windy, and look out on the turn! It reminded me most of a wider-rimmed River.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 826 Times in 565 Posts

I always thought the Northman was basically a Pro SL, but I have only thrown one of each.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I always thought the Northman was basically a Pro SL, but I have only thrown one of each.
Oh I like that. Gonna have to pick up a couple Northmans and give them a go.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 121
Niced 83 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I think you can add the northman to that list? pretty sure it was that disc anyways.
Since I know you know your MVP I'd say the closest MVP to the Northman is the Inertia. I'd say a touch more glide on the Inertia but very similar lines.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

The weird thing is that a lot of other Trilogy discs seem to be less stable than the numbers consistently, but I've seen Westside discs that go both ways. For example the Sword and Sorcerer are both a 0/2 turn/fade listing, but both have more turn than that. But the Boatman, which is slower and also 0/2 I felt was like a 0/3.5...and have heard others say theirs are stable. Weird. People seem to think the World is off as well...the only one I have thrown is a 0/4 but doesn't handle headwinds like a true HSS 0, it turns a lot. I have seen video of them turning a lot though in calm...do they just beat in and get to a -1/3 or are some of them like that out of the box...or is that for 450'+ arms? Whereas the Giant is a lot closer to the +1/4 that is listed, compared to a World.

So really...I agree that it's not so much VIP vs. TP like in Innova going champ vs. star...moreso just knowing which molds are and aren't like the numbers. OP asked about variation within specific molds though, but that's probably just like any manufacturer that some are domey vs. flat, etc., so there are going to be some variations.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

The problem specifically exists where certain brands and/or models are only available on line in a given area. I found a world at the Am World Doubles and tried to find backups. Unfortunately the 2nds did not fly conistently as the first one did.

We are talking 3+ hours drive to find a Dynamic Disc store. So I
Old 08-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts

The oddest thing to me is that white most brands the stability is like this; plastic/flexible mid quality/ stiffer high quality/opaque durable

But with them its kind of a stability crapshoot. I have TP Stags that are more OS than VIP and BT harps that are far more OS than my VIP.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 203 Times in 142 Posts

You know, I knew I would take some heat on that comment about the lack of validity of the flight number system.

I agree, it is all we have. True. But I don't see anyone really trying to improve it or just scratching it all together. Typical if it aint broke dont fix it mentality.

Well in reality it seems like before the flight numbers it seemed like word of mouth was a hell of lot more accurate than any current flight numbers I have seen.

Are you telling me a Destroyer is almost twice as fast as a T-Bird? I wouldn't describe it that way. Would you?

If you use all things disc golf for reviews they almost always adjust the flight numbers.

Is their a smarter way-yes. Will you ever know entirely until you throw the disc-no.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Dr.Smooth; 08-06-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: ccc