Old 04-13-2019, 07:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

I'm assuming the course is in Louisiana. So, no problems with frost heaving. Pavers should be fine. Like most everything, there will be maintenance requirements.

I think you should make the pad flush with the RR ties, and bank earth all around the outside edges. Don't use low quality polymeric sand and be sure to give it 24 hours to set up.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2019, 07:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,419 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
Additionally, I may have a source for free railroad cross ties to frame the tee boxes with. I've never put in paver tee boxes before, but if I can get the ties, I plan to partially sink them and use them to frame the paver tee boxes with the ties slightly higher than the level of the pavers. Does anyone anticipate any problems with this?
How "slightly hgher"? If they're higher on the front, they present a trip hazard on the follow-through. Not as much of an issue on the back, unless you go with shorter tees, or shorter tees on shorter holes, and they prevent a run-up or full stride.

I'm in the camp that all tees should be the same length, preferably 12', 10' will suffice if flush with the ground in back so those who want the extra step can get it. If penny-pinching, why not go to 4' wide and save 20% over 5x12? I know it's not ideal, as some players run diagonal across tees, but it seems to me the better compromise.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,289 Times in 2,272 Posts

Lots of HS and college FB in your neck of the woods, I would check around to see if any of them are getting ready to redo their fields this summer. You might be able to snag enough turf for free to do teepads with... Even if you don't want to use it as the actual pads, you might get some for the runup and/or follow thru areas to help with erosion.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,022 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Lots of HS and college FB in your neck of the woods, I would check around to see if any of them are getting ready to redo their fields this summer. You might be able to snag enough turf for free to do teepads with... Even if you don't want to use it as the actual pads, you might get some for the runup and/or follow thru areas to help with erosion.
The best turf is what they use for field hockey. It is not as tall and doesn't require fill. Raking fill into turf is some of the hardest work I have ever done and I have worked on a farm the vast majority of my life.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 132 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Additionally, I may have a source for free railroad cross ties to frame the tee boxes with. I've never put in paver tee boxes before, but if I can get the ties, I plan to partially sink them and use them to frame the paver tee boxes with the ties slightly higher than the level of the pavers. Does anyone anticipate any problems with this?

If you're going to use pavers then you'll need a frame to keep them from moving and railroad ties would work great for that. The railroad ties themselves also need to be stabilized and partially burying them in the ground may be good enough, depending on your soil. If not, they can be further stabilized by hammering rebar through holes drilled in the RR ties and into the ground. Another method is to use metal strapping to connect all of the RR tie pieces.

As for the size of your tee pads, you may want to factor in the dimensions of your materials. As an example, RR ties are generally 7" to 9" by 8' long. If your pavers are 12" x 12", then a small 4x8 pad could be constructed with two 8' RR ties and two 5'6" RR ties. The 2'6" cutoff piece could then be added to an 8' piece to make a 10'6" pad (or a 10' pad if your pavers are 12" x 12"). If you have an unlimited supply of RR ties though, then minimizing waste may not be necessary.

To allow for runups and safe finishes, you may want to build up around the outside of the RR tie frame using dirt, road base or mulch. The deeper you bury the RR ties, the less material you will need for this. And if it were me, I'd install the pavers at the same height as the RR ties to avoid tripping issues.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts

Having played many of these holes now, I do not think anyone is going to mind shorter tees in those woods. Hell, I am going to stand and deliver on all of them.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 95
Niced 324 Times in 163 Posts

Well, as it turns out, I had an offer from a local manufacturing company to build steel frames (including remesh) out of channel and flat bar that will allow us to precast the tee boxes. That same company will then lift and place the boxes using their equipment (crane). So that can give us concrete tee boxes without having to pour them in place which was the original problem. Now to figure out what kind of concrete mix to use.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Now to figure out what kind of concrete mix to use.
The grippiest.