Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,411 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
Agreed, its by far the best way to boost courses played.

I recently tried a new strategy of buying land and building a course on it to increase my courses played numbers… but it’s not working. I’m saving on gas and can play every morning though.
Just keep re-designing it and counting each rendition separately.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 259 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
pizza god has played more courses in Texas than the number that currently exist. just silly.
there are a ton of extinct courses in TX. development is constant and the best private courses all close eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay View Post
I remember the excitement a couple of years ago when I was approaching 100. I'm at 146 now and would LOVE to get 200. However, I don't travel a lot, so that limits me. I have 70 courses within 50 miles of me (great for me). Twenty of those 70 are rated 3.5 or higher, so I'm having trouble convincing myself to drive past good courses to play crappy courses to boost my numbers. I've played a few of the crappy courses in the area that hadn't been reviewed much (or at all) to help others, but at this point, I would have to play courses that are clearly inferior for no other reason than boosting my numbers.

driving past a good course to play a crappy course is one perspective you could have. i prefer to think that experiencing a course i've never been too is worth the experience on principle. i won't know unless i go check it out. sure, sometimes you can tell but how many times have you played a course that lots of people seemed to hate on but you loved it, or at least enjoyed some portions of it that were well-designed.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 59 Times in 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aclay
I remember the excitement a couple of years ago when I was approaching 100. I'm at 146 now and would LOVE to get 200. However, I don't travel a lot, so that limits me. I have 70 courses within 50 miles of me (great for me). Twenty of those 70 are rated 3.5 or higher, so I'm having trouble convincing myself to drive past good courses to play crappy courses to boost my numbers. I've played a few of the crappy courses in the area that hadn't been reviewed much (or at all) to help others, but at this point, I would have to play courses that are clearly inferior for no other reason than boosting my numbers.

driving past a good course to play a crappy course is one perspective you could have. i prefer to think that experiencing a course i've never been too is worth the experience on principle. i won't know unless i go check it out. sure, sometimes you can tell but how many times have you played a course that lots of people seemed to hate on but you loved it, or at least enjoyed some portions of it that were well-designed.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you in principle. And it's particularly true when a course has very few reviews. However, at this point, most of the courses in the area that I have not played have poor reviews, and I know people who have played them and tell me the courses are not worth the time. Also, reading the reviews that are there tells me the courses are not well maintained or are in total disrepair. I played a lot of new courses this summer to experience new courses and to review courses that had few (or no) reviews. I am basically done with those, so now my options for new courses are courses that are crappy, based on both reviews and information from locals who have played those courses, or to travel.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

As for myself, if time permits I'll play those crappy courses---not to pad my numbers, but just for the new experience. Rarely have I played a course so bad I regretted playing it. Many times I've played a course, knowing I won't play it again.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,709 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
As for myself, if time permits I'll play those crappy courses---not to pad my numbers, but just for the new experience. Rarely have I played a course so bad I regretted playing it. Many times I've played a course, knowing I won't play it again.
That's actually a good thing really. That means at least you're not running into any sub 1 disc rated courses or something like that. I look at what you're saying as, yes there is some mediocrity out there but not a lot of truly horrible courses.

I did run across one course this summer that I TOTALLY regretted. You'd think with it being in close proximity to things like Flip and Ludington courses it would be at least tolerable. Nope. I completely regretted my time at Hart Hydro. But being the course bagger that I am I had to finish it lol. Had to get a tetanus shot for my troubles.

-Dave

Niced: (1)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 111
Niced 29 Times in 13 Posts

I have only played one so far that I truly regretted, Shoals DGC in Pinnacle NC. It wasn't so much the uneventful layout, but the waist high weeds on hole 1's fairway should have been my clue to skip it. Instead of packing it in, I grabbed a crappy disc and made short tosses so I could check that one off as played.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

I played one that was bad enough that I walked off after 5 holes. But I've since read of it's being re-designed, apparently into a decent course. I wouldn't appreciate that, if I hadn't seen the original disaster for myself.

Now, I'm not driving an hour or more just to play a 1.5-rated 9-holer. But I may well tack it on to a return trip to a better course.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 519
Niced 694 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay View Post
...so I'm having trouble convincing myself to drive past good courses to play crappy courses to boost my numbers. I've played a few of the crappy courses in the area that hadn't been reviewed much (or at all) to help others, but at this point, I would have to play courses that are clearly inferior for no other reason than boosting my numbers.

When I travel to bag courses, I go for quality over quantity. Closer to home, I play everything. I still get a thrill out of playing new courses, even if they are only 9 holes and not the highest rated. Every NEW course has something to offer: perhaps an unexpected Ace or an amazing view or a beautiful drive in the country. I have seen some of the most magnificent scenery while driving to some "out of the way" 9 hole courses.

I have now played every single course within a day's drive of my home except for a few private campgrounds and military bases. I started by playing all the quality 18 hole courses and I eventually played the rest because that was all that was left. You can always play the lesser rated courses on the way home from a higher rated course.

I didn't get the "urge" to bag courses until I had been playing over 15 years and already had 185 courses played. I used to play to practice because I wanted to get better and win. As such, I only wanted to play/practice the best tournament courses. I would go to a tournament city and only play the one or two tournament courses. Now that I play to enjoy playing and not just to practice for events, and I want to "play....them.....all"! (Except the ones with crappy navigation because ain't nobody got time for that!)

Honestly, bad navigation is about the only reason I won't play a course. I have played some 1 star gems and some 4 star losers.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 410
Niced 751 Times in 274 Posts

I personally enjoy playing the train wreck courses. They are the most fun to review.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Niced 259 Times in 133 Posts

all great thoughts but there's one i didn't see yet

sometimes these crappy little 9 holers will have 1 or 2 amazing holes that you have never seen before. an off-the-wall design idea or a weird landscape that an experienced designer would probably not consider but every now and then they make for a really fun hole.

and like Mark said, sometimes the train wreck is entertaining.