Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Texas trip suggestions

I'm heading to McKinney / Richardson TX area next week and will have some time to try out some courses.

I'm thinking :
- BB Owen Tues evening after flying in
- Towne Lake or Alex Clark Wed or Thurs evening since I'll be working in McKinney.
- Henry Myers Fri morning before heading for a 1200 flight out of DFW

Anybody got alternate recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Town lake then Alex Clark. They are right across from each other, town lake is the more difficult course, takes about 2 hours to play, Alex Clark is the easy course, takes about 45 minutes to play. Don't play Alex Clark by itself, if you want to play Alex Clark you need to play town lake. It doesn't get too dark until around 8:30 so there's time for both if you can start town lake at 5:30.

There's a mini every Wednesday at Alex Clark so unless you want to either skip that course or play in the mini play on Thursday. Mini starts at 6, $5 with $2 optional ace pot. Ams only get paid out in plastic (lame).
Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definately both Mckinney courses (2 different beasts). If you have time Lewisville Lake park is a nicely layed out course on the water. Pretty challenging with lots of shade. The Colony is OK and not too far
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 59
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

I played both Alex Clark and Towne Lake. when I was up there two weeks ago. Both were great courses. Towne Lake is a bear, so Alex Clark is a good cool down course. Lots of ace runs at Alex.

I also played Bear Creek in Grapevine. Seems alot of people don't like that course, but I really enjoyed it. Catch that one if you can.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

FYI- If your flight out on Friday is at noon from DFW, you are going to have a tough time playing Harry Meyers and getting to DFW in time to make a noon flight. HM is about 1:15-30 from DFW and that coarse is a good 2 hours plus to play. Fri you may want to check out Bear Creek(next to DFW airport) or you could play Lake Park in Lewisville, Turner in Grand Prarie, or Veterans in Arlington so you are closer to the airport.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 38
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
I played both Alex Clark and Towne Lake. when I was up there two weeks ago. Both were great courses. Towne Lake is a bear, so Alex Clark is a good cool down course. Lots of ace runs at Alex.

I also played Bear Creek in Grapevine. Seems alot of people don't like that course, but I really enjoyed it. Catch that one if you can.
I don't get all the hate for bear creek either. Anytime I'm in the area I play there. It is one of my favorite courses. I agree with the above poster, you should hit up bear creek or veterans. Veterans is a gem with a disc golf store right down the road.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks for the thoughts about Fri morning course. I had just looked around the area and saw that Harry Meyers was really highly regarded and wanted to fit it in. Maybe I'll go straight there Tues and look at Bear Creek friday.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 88
Niced 24 Times in 17 Posts

BB Owen is quite skippable. Just an average course.

Audubon is closer and even with dirt tees and broken tee signs, it still has a championship level layout. Depends on how much you crave challenge.

Alex Clark is one of the easiest 18 holes I've ever played. I've only ever gone under par on two 18 hole courses in my life, and Alex Clark is one of them. Just keep that in mind when deciding whether to play that course versus play Towne lake from both longs and shorts.

If you can get to Lake Lewisville Park DGC, that would be better than BB, and about as close to McKinney. Otherwise, I'd suggest get in an extra round at Harry Myers so you can play the longs and the shorts there.

Last thing is that it really is too bad to come so close to Selah Ranch and not get to play it, but I know you have a tight schedule. If you could stay the weekend, Selah would be a top priority.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

I seriously thought about Selah but work just won't allow the extra day (or two). My hotel is in Plano, I'm just having mtgs in McKinney so Lake Lewisville seems a bit out of the way. However, if I go that way would you recommend Lewisville over Bill Allen?

Interesting that you don't like Owen - it's got a pretty good rating. I'll reread the reviews on Owen and Audubon.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 180 Times in 93 Posts

If you don't have a guide, skip Audubon. It's a quality playing course, but if you don't know where you're throwing, or where the next tee is, it will be frustrating.

Skip BB

If you have a big arm, Turner Park on Friday morning would be your best bet.