KC Pro Roc
Tournament Warship
EliteX Express

Putt and Approach
Glo Zone
Big Z Fierce
First Run Fierce
Firefly

Didn't throw the Avenger SS, Teebird or KC roc at all so i'll still need to try those out. Threw everything else, but nothing really stuck out as "wow that fills a shot much better than what's in my bag now" I could see spending some more time with the Valk and having it potentially become a longer shot compliment to my FD or swapping out the Thunderbird for the FD2 as an easier to get up to speed forehand disc vs the Thunderbird.

But for now I still think the bigger gain will come from form improvements so I swapped back to the molds/bag I'm already comfortable with since there's a doubles tournament this weekend at Flip City, a course I've never been too. I figure playing the course blind will be hard enough, no point trying to learn new discs at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Par Member

Niced 76 Times in 46 Posts

Meant to put this in the above post but don't know how to edit it. I wound up shooting +5 which is pretty much exactly in line with my avg at the course for 2020, so the strange bag wasn't "that" bad. although my last half dozen rounds avg closer to +2 so not quite as good as I was hoping to shoot.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Par Member

Ratings update week and bag update. Since making this thread I've had a string of pretty decent tournament rounds. Shot a 922 rated round at sunset during Ledgestone with my last 6 rounds averaging 883.

Current bag
Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top Hades

Fairway Drivers
Night Strike 2 FD
Luster C FD
DX Teebird
'18 Sexton Firebird
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Undertaker

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp
ESP Buzzz
Mako3
ESP Archer
Z Archer

Putt/Approach:
2 Fireflies
Cryztal Fierce
Z Zone
Jawbreaker Zone

I've finally settled on keeping the newer Firebird in the bag, pulled the older one as it flies similar enough to the Thunderbird. Also pulled the jawbreaker Wasp in favor of a players pack buzzz. The JB Wasp suffered several tree hits during Ledgestone at 250-275' power and no longer flies anything like it did when new. I like the flight it has now, (still torque resistant and straight with a hyzer finish but far straighter than my cryztal Wasp) But worry about how quickly it's changed from normal wasp flight to this new flight. I don't want to have to swap out a disc after every few heavily wooded rounds. I recall my buzzz's flew like this Wasp currently does and it seems like every tournament you get a buzzz in the players pack so I'm going to take that for a spin in my neutral midrange slot between the pretty beat in US mako3 and the OS Wasp

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Par Member

Started slowly prepping for winter leagues. for instance I don't want to suffer the heartache of losing a Night strike in the middle of the fairway when it burrows under the snow and skitters off who knows where. I was struggling to find any FD's in stock and I like my DX teebird so I picked up a 165g star teebird hoping for winter to cover the slots of both the DXTB and the Luster FD. Hopefully with a bit of beating in it gets better, definitely doesn't show nearly the glide of either the DXTB or the Luster FD. Right now it's closer to filling the spot of my NS2 than either of the discs I hoped to cover with it. I also picked up a champ TL, but haven't gotten to throw that enough to form an opinion on it yet.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:18 AM
Par Member

End of October bag updates. I've removed the jawbreaker zone, esp buzzz and esp archer for a Surge SS and neo Essence. A few other discs have changed but are still the same mold, (designated by >>)
I'm also carrying a pair of DX teebirds now, one more beat in as the go-to and then one fresh one for longer throws and open fairways.
Current bag
Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top proto Hades >>>> 175g first run Hades, it's more flippy, great for big tee shots or long par 4-5's where I need to move left of my lie. I've been having moderate success hyzerflipping this as well.
- Surge SS More stable than the hades, but same distance potential on a straight to hyzer line.

Fairway Drivers
Night Strike 2 FD >>>>> switched to a less used one because the orange I was using blends into the leaves. I swear its less stable
Luster C FD
DX Teebird
'18 Sexton Firebird
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Undertaker
Neo Essence (this might be the premium plastic disc that replaces my dx teebirds. hard to say so far. it's a bit faster and we're still figuring each other out. But the potential is there, hyzer flip to dead straight lasers are it's jam, it just needs a bit more power to do it, which has it sailing longer than the teebird would. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not)

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp >>>> swapped to a z glo ledgestone wasp, easier to find in the dusk hours
ESP Buzzz >>>>>gone, still don't click with buzzz's idk why. They just don't do anything I can't accomplish with the wasp/mako
Mako3
ESP Archer >>> not bagging, the Z archer is covering all the turnover shots I need right now
Z Archer

Putt/Approach:
2 Fireflies
Cryztal Fierce
Z Zone
Jawbreaker Zone >>> Not bagging either, although possibly coming back soon, there's an alternate pin location at the local course I think this disc is perfect for.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 381 Times in 177 Posts

I really want to try an Essence. There seem to be several holes where I risk losing a disc if I get a good hit with any of my 9/10 speeds, but I best I can hope for with any of my 7 speeds is about 20 feet short.

The first run Hades is also interesting. I expected them to sell out immediately, but our store has a massive stack of them, but virtually nothing else Discraft.

Also, you ever throw Leopards? I was curious how a Z Archer compares to a Pro/Star/Champ Leopard.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I really want to try an Essence. There seem to be several holes where I risk losing a disc if I get a good hit with any of my 9/10 speeds, but I best I can hope for with any of my 7 speeds is about 20 feet short.

The first run Hades is also interesting. I expected them to sell out immediately, but our store has a massive stack of them, but virtually nothing else Discraft.

Also, you ever throw Leopards? I was curious how a Z Archer compares to a Pro/Star/Champ Leopard.
I've had a couple dx leopards pass through my hands, but no premium plastic ones to compare. A buddy might throw one, I can't recall, if he does I'll try to get some reps with it next time I see him to compare.
My impression from the DX leopards I've had is that a perfectly seasoned one probably flies about like an out of the box Z Archer. The nice part is the Z archer hasn't really changed it's flight in the 7 months I've been throwing it, and it gets a lot of reps especially in the woods. For my current form/power/distance whatever it's just such a useful disc. I throw it for a lot of scramble shots where I don't have a forehand but need that fading left shot. It doesn't take much power with an anny release to get it on a nice floaty 150-175' anny line that lands flat left of the starting point. I'll also throw it flat and high off the tee for a 250' ish shot that travels out right, fading left throughout the flight then nestles back to just enough hyzer finish to land flat and avoid a cut roll. Finally, my favorite is to throw it hard on a steep hyzer and watch it climb out of the hyzer mid flight then fade left as if it was thrown forehand or rhbh, it can get sneaky long that way, for a tweener mid/fairway at least.

It's not really a disc for trying to bite off max distance so I'm always throwing with some amount of touch. And I have one buddy who is an absolute torque monkey and thinks it's the worst disc in the world. But the archer and I just click. I feel like it is a true utility disc and has a massive range of distance and line shapes compared to most everything else in my bag. No other disc do I really throw for shots from 150'-300'. Kind of the anti-firbird, little/no ground action and it makes nearly no effort to fight out of anny.

My advice with the Hades if you decide to try them out would be to buy in person and pick out 2 that have noticeably different dome/PLH or wing shapes. A bit of field work should show you which one fits your throwing style better. My 156g has gone 400'+ on a pretty much straight to hyzer line (not me throwing) meanwhile my 175g gets a healthy turn first before fading back towards the middle, even at lower powers.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Par Member

The last few rounds I've played anytime I throw the Hades I also throw the Surge SS. Ultimately unless I really need that thrown flat turning left distance driver type shot I'll probably be reaching for the SS now. It's got just enough extra stability that I don't have to question if there was a bit of a breeze, or a slightly bad throw doesn't turn into a cut roller. Tailwind I'll still probably use the hades and try to flex some extra distance out, but so far every shot into calm or mild head winds has seen the surge within 5' of the hades distance wise, and often times much closer to where I intended to land.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:29 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hi fellow lefty!

I noticed my mid-range lineup was very similar to yours. I use 3 discs: Star Mako3 for straight shots, Z Archer for anhyzers (especially useful since I only throw backhands currently, and it seems like a lot of courses in this area are designed for RHBH), and PFN Star Shark for hyzers.

The Shark is definitely more overstable than the Mako3, but not by a ton. As those both beat in, I think the Shark may become my straight disc, and I may just remove the Mako3 since it'll overlap with the Archer. Do you find the Wasp fits well as an overstable mid? I also considered the Discraft Malta or Innova Roc3.

Additionally, regarding the Archer, I think it used to be rated at a higher speed and considered a fairway driver, but it got moved down to a speed 5 mid. Do you find you can use it as an understable disc both for mid-range and fairway driver distances? From what you said earlier, it sounds like it can go as far as Leopard.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondZ View Post
Hi fellow lefty!

I noticed my mid-range lineup was very similar to yours. I use 3 discs: Star Mako3 for straight shots, Z Archer for anhyzers (especially useful since I only throw backhands currently, and it seems like a lot of courses in this area are designed for RHBH), and PFN Star Shark for hyzers.

The Shark is definitely more overstable than the Mako3, but not by a ton. As those both beat in, I think the Shark may become my straight disc, and I may just remove the Mako3 since it'll overlap with the Archer. Do you find the Wasp fits well as an overstable mid? I also considered the Discraft Malta or Innova Roc3.

Additionally, regarding the Archer, I think it used to be rated at a higher speed and considered a fairway driver, but it got moved down to a speed 5 mid. Do you find you can use it as an understable disc both for mid-range and fairway driver distances? From what you said earlier, it sounds like it can go as far as Leopard.
Hello!

I think once you find that the shark and Mako3 are both competing for the same shots you could certainly remove one from your bag. I like the wasp in the stable mid slot because unlike some of the more stable options (drone, gator, buzzz os) it doesn't just dump out on hyzer, instead it starts to push forward and right. Sort of what you'd call workably stable. At the same time, it's probably not a disc I'd reach for in 25mph head winds because it doesn't have quite enough stability for something like that.
Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with the malta/roc3/wasp all are going to hit similar lines (assuming premium plastic roc3) so I'd first try out whichever of the 3 feels more comfortable to you. I was actually a little disappointed with my Malta originally, I got it expecting it to be a more stable compliment to my wasp but it flies nearly exactly the same. Later I found out it feels more comfortable in my hand for FH than the wasp So when I use my tournament bag or zuca cart I usually carry both, when I'm using my small casual round bag I just bag wasp or malta depending whether I'm expecting to need that stable mid shot more on BH or FH.

I find I tend to reach for the Archer no matter what the shot distance is any time I want to ensure I land left of my throwing position. It's wing shape certainly seems like a mash up of mid/fairway so I think that's why it can be sneaky long for a "mid" but a little "short" for a fairway. The last couple weeks I've been trying to force myself to throw FH instead of the archer BH, knowing I'll probably take more stokes due to less distance. But both the last tournament and several of my last few casual rounds have had a fair amount of swirly wind and it has really exposed a weakness in my game. I can usually expect to keep up with my right handed friends on our local courses during calm weather with lots of turnover shots. But in the wind they simply move up a tick in stability, I suddenly have no shot at all because my turnover turns into a roller or I throw something more stable that winds up fighting out/right of my intended landing zone.