Old 05-31-2017, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 498 Times in 322 Posts
Default Should TDs be paid

A topic of discussion on Smashboxx last night was whether or not TDs should be paid. They went round and round about this.

In many events, sporting or otherwise, the manager gets paid. Part of the charge, cost structure, etc., includes pay for the manager. DG doesn't really do this. Should we? The TD report to the PDGA allows this.

My opinion is that they should. Most do not, but at high-quality events where the TD works for a year to bring the event together, or even in a long-running series, it seems that the TD should be paid if possible. The PDGA slots that 85% has to go to payout. That means that a TD could take pay within the guidelines, sans other costs.

I will note, one issue that came up was pay for staff. In volunteer organizations, there is still a paid manager, usually who has the job of getting people to volunteer and makes sure they feel they get good value.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 90 Times in 63 Posts

I have no inside knowledge for this, but I was not aware that they are not usually paid. Seems strange to me. Like you said, if they are putting that much work into something I feel a little payback would be in order. I used to manage a group of a volunteer group that helped furnish houses, but I was compensated. Not a lot I may add but even a little goes a ways in motivation and morale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
A topic of discussion on Smashboxx last night was whether or not TDs should be paid. They went round and round about this.

In many events, sporting or otherwise, the manager gets paid. Part of the charge, cost structure, etc., includes pay for the manager. DG doesn't really do this. Should we? The TD report to the PDGA allows this.

My opinion is that they should. Most do not, but at high-quality events where the TD works for a year to bring the event together, or even in a long-running series, it seems that the TD should be paid if possible. The PDGA slots that 85% has to go to payout. That means that a TD could take pay within the guidelines, sans other costs.

I will note, one issue that came up was pay for staff. In volunteer organizations, there is still a paid manager, usually who has the job of getting people to volunteer and makes sure they feel they get good value.
I am not arguing that they shouldnt be compensated, however I think for the most part DGers are cheap and if the cost of an event went up for that specifically, they would act like even more entitled babies than they already do since they are now paying for a well ran event.

I see this being hard to pull off if you also are the vendor for any AM prizes, since you are already basically making about 1/2 of whatever the total of AM reg fees were for the event in payout alone.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 71 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
I am not arguing that they shouldnt be compensated, however I think for the most part DGers are cheap and if the cost of an event went up for that specifically, they would act like even more entitled babies than they already do since they are now paying for a well ran event.

I see this being hard to pull off if you also are the vendor for any AM prizes, since you are already basically making about 1/2 of whatever the total of AM reg fees were for the event in payout alone.
If the TDs of my last event were being paid, and my entry fee was higher, I'd have been pissed. Paying a TD makes it a quality event or make them a quality TD.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 126
Niced 260 Times in 167 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

I'm ok with TD's taking a percentage of added cash raised past the minimum.

That's going above and beyond and creating incentive to increase a payout.

But just simply saying "I get $100?" No.

Also TD's make money currently off profit from ams.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by _MTL_; 05-31-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 21
Niced 90 Times in 63 Posts

This^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 222
Niced 324 Times in 161 Posts

Given the recent blowback I've seen in the comments section of DGS, in a handful of events this year....I'm not sure you could pay them enough to do the job.

It irks me when players (usually not signed up for the event) threaten to not play the tournament if certain criteria is not met.

[Example] -Why does the entry fee not include the park admission cost. If this is not included, I am not playing.
-Is the park system going to have the fairways freshly mowed, I am not playing if the grass is too high.
-I am not going to play if the tournament is a true am event with trophies only.
-Am1 is not playing Flip City? If this is not corrected, I am not going to play this event.

I get we all have tournament preferences, but that is a choice you make. Play or don't play. These players generally have little insight into the task list of a TD, nor any interest in helping.

Pay them, they earn it. Sorry for the rant.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:36 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 214 Times in 180 Posts

In the events I TD I usually am lucky to break even. Sometimes the vendors will pitch in some extras for me if I'm buying a lot from them, but unless it's something that I personally use or requested I'll just add it as a CTP or to one of the Am prizes.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 284 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post

Also TD's make money currently off profit from ams.
Depends. Here in SF the club steps in to fund the CFR/Players Pack orders for our event, so the money stays within the club. I've certainly seen it the way you're describing as well where TD buys the discs/assumes the risks/keeps the extra.

More generally on this topic, I think the OP may be too vague. On one end you have 1-day/2-round C-tiers, and on the other you have 3- or 4-day Majors/NT's, and everything in between. There's a big difference in number of hours and complexity of work involved in those things.

I'm generally in favor of TD's getting paid, but there's a certain cutoff where if the event is low value/small it just doesn't make sense to take cash out to pay yourself. I'm not exactly sure where I'd draw that line, because Tier status doesn't always tell the story of the production level of the event.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 20 Times in 8 Posts

Disc golf events have traditionally been run by people competing to see who can give away the most. It's been going on for years - it's a mistake. People running events should be compensated for their effort so they can continue to run these events year after year.

Now TD's will pile on this thread explaining how they give away thousands of dollars of stuff/time/$$ every year and are proud of it . . .. whatever. I think it would be better for all involved if the people doing all the work were rewarded for it. I know -- crazy talk. Disc golfers are poor so we must be provided for free stuff and just showing up should get us a trophy, t-shirt and free beer.

Niced: (2)