Old 06-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 81 Times in 43 Posts

I just want to clarify this so it is clear to me: in the stuck in a tree situation, if you cannot retrieve your disc from the tree before your next turn you can just leave it w/o penalty (other than sadness of leaving a disc behind)?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 716 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
I just want to clarify this so it is clear to me: in the stuck in a tree situation, if you cannot retrieve your disc from the tree before your next turn you can just leave it w/o penalty (other than sadness of leaving a disc behind)?
Correct, there is no penalty for leaving a disc behind like that.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 39 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Correct, there is no penalty for leaving a disc behind like that.
Unless it's a one disc event where players are required to use the same disc for the entire round; then it's a DQ.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 72
Niced 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
How does a lost disc come into play?

From what I understand you can do anything with your free time as long as you dont disturb the other players and are playing all your shots on time. Nobody is stopping you from climbing that tree or doing pottery while it is not your turn. And I mean doing pottery, it was a fun image that just came in my head.
So what would be the call here? What if its a disc the player really needs, would he be given the same amount of time to retrieve it as you would get for a lost disc, or would they be given however much time until his next throw and then 30 sec?

If you throw a disc in the water, just off the bank, and you are using a stick/retriever etc, how much time are you allowed to spend on that before its a courtesy violation for slow play? I see the two as similar scenarios, lost but not lost sorta
Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 482 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
So what would be the call here? What if its a disc the player really needs, would he be given the same amount of time to retrieve it as you would get for a lost disc, or would they be given however much time until his next throw and then 30 sec?

If you throw a disc in the water, just off the bank, and you are using a stick/retriever etc, how much time are you allowed to spend on that before its a courtesy violation for slow play? I see the two as similar scenarios, lost but not lost sorta
If you can't get it in time to be ready to throw when it's your turn, leave it. If it causes you to throw any later than you would have, it is being rude to all the other players on the course. If it delays you by 30 seconds you get an Excessive Time violation. However, even if it delays play by something less than 30 seconds, you still shouldn't be causing that delay.

"3.2 Pace of Play
A. All competitors shall play without undue delay and will make every effort to keep up with the group in front of them. Players are required to quickly move from the completion of one hole to the tee area of the next hole. Also, while advancing down the fairway, the player shall not unduly delay play by his or her actions."

Old 06-22-2017, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 716 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post

It is not a lost disc, so that one wouldn't apply. The three minute rule for a lost disc is to allow for a search to find the disc in order for the player to have a position/lie to play his next shot from. If that throw has been made, then there's no longer a need, from a rules perspective, to retrieve that disc.

So your time to retrieve a disc from up in a tree or in water would be the time it takes for it to become your turn to throw plus 30 seconds. However, there is also the factor of not creating a distraction for other players via splashing or rustling leaves/branches or even potentially endangering others by throwing things into the tree.

If it can't be retrieved in a timely manner, it doesn't matter how important the disc is to the player, it should be left until after the round. It's the only courteous thing to do for the benefit of everyone else on the course.