Niced 4,339 Times in 2,294 Posts

Ahh, I knew I had seen it somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Par Member

Niced 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
For how long? A few hours? A day? A week? A month? Who gets to say how long people must avoid publicly talking about event results?

Hey, news travels fast, and sporting event results are news. Not important news, but news nevertheless. People like to chat about them as they happen, and as soon as they're settled.

You're tilting at windmills if you think everyone is going to stop---or hide behind spoiler alerts---to suit your circumstances.
MY circumstances? I wouldn't say I'm alone here. There have been many times Innova has posted results before any video footage is even available to view. I think that would be considered too soon. A couple of days would be reasonable. And like I said, this is something Jomez already does out of respect of the people who don't get to watch coverage as soon as it's released.
I agree people should be able to talk about it and get the news as soon as they WANT. But when you scroll through any social media platform and suddenly you have no choice because the results are in your face, then that's pretty annoying. It's easy to give people the choice.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 938 Times in 361 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
MY circumstances? I wouldn't say I'm alone here. There have been many times Innova has posted results before any video footage is even available to view. I think that would be considered too soon. A couple of days would be reasonable. And like I said, this is something Jomez already does out of respect of the people who don't get to watch coverage as soon as it's released.
I agree people should be able to talk about it and get the news as soon as they WANT. But when you scroll through any social media platform and suddenly you have no choice because the results are in your face, then that's pretty annoying. It's easy to give people the choice.
Do you expect this from any other sport?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Do you expect this from any other sport?
Other sports are mostly televised, and not limited to online viewing. TV channels are easily avoided.
That said, I think spoiler alerts on other sports media channels would be appreciated by a lot of people.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,339 Times in 2,294 Posts

I do get rather annoyed during the Olympics when they spoil things on the ticker on ESPN/FoxSports before the tape delayed broadcast on NBC. Though that isn't as much of a problem now that you can watch all of it live online or one of the several channels that now do Olympics coverage.

I still get spoiled at least once or twice though and its always something I was really interested in watching.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 09-26-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 864 Times in 385 Posts
Talking

At this point It's barely possible to spoil the results; I think we all know who is going to win

Old 09-26-2019, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 938 Times in 361 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Other sports are mostly televised, and not limited to online viewing. TV channels are easily avoided.
That said, I think spoiler alerts on other sports media channels would be appreciated by a lot of people.
So you think the rest of society should not talk about current events until you get caught up with them, we're not the ones being an ass.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,480 Times in 1,517 Posts

In my world, people are chatting about sporting events before they're even over---not waiting 2 days. The assumption is, everyone who cared enough, already knows the result.

I've watched a lot of college football games on DVR, but I know the burden is on me. I know the rest of the world is talking about them, and not concealing anything they say. TVs are on, everywhere. Facebook is alive with posts. So I avoid it all, and don't answer my phone.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,758 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
So you don't follow ESPN on social media? Fox Sports, NBC, etc?

If you DVRed your favorite NFL (or NBA or Premier League or whatever your sport is) team's game so you could watch it later, and ESPN or SportsCenter tweeted the final score and it popped up on your feed where you saw it long before you had a chance to sit down in front of the TV to watch, you feel that ESPN is in the wrong somehow?

So forget the 35-36 million folks who follow the ESPN or SportsCenter account to get updates, you don't want them to report game results in a timely manner just in case you might be looking?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:30 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
So you think the rest of society should not talk about current events until you get caught up with them, we're not the ones being an ass.
Talk about it all you want, just don't post a huge poster of the winner in my damn news feed the moment the results are out!