Old 02-06-2018, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 198
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default Northeast states

I've played in 37 states and am missing most of the northeast. I'm planning a camping road trip and for once don't know where to begin.

I'd like to hit 8 states (see attached): Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. I'm guessing I can hit 2-3 states each day with some planning. I'll be embarking from Charlotte, NC.

1. What courses are can't miss?
2. What is the best route to drive?
3. What time of year is ideal?
4. Anything else along the way in the great northeast I should take the time to see? Any courses in states I've already played that I should try to hit while I'm in the area?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 165
Niced 450 Times in 203 Posts

1. Delaware: Iron Hill. New Jersey: Stafford Woods. Massachusetts: Maple Hill and Borderlands.
2. You are probably stuck with I-95 and the Jersey Turnpike until you hit New England. During rush hour avoid big cities like the plague.
3. Fall in the northeast is wonderful. Avoid orange discs.
4. I would suggest hitting Patapsco Valley State Park on your way. Strongly suggest a quick short-short round to scout out the long baskets (none of which are visible from the tee), and then play the "Green Monster" (long-long). Also consider the wealth of courses around Philly - Tyler State Park is not too far off I-95.

There are some amazing courses in New England that I would love to play. Have fun!

Niced: (2)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Great tips. Iron Hill and Maple Hill are the 2 that were on my radar but good to hear the confirmation. Do I need a local for Iron Hill?

I am thinking the first part of September maybe. Catch the weather cooling down if I'm lucky.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 695 Times in 394 Posts

You don't need a local for playing Iron Hill (even gold to gold), but you will want one if you want to try to shoot a great round first try. As a southeast PA local I tell my friends newer to DG to play short to short first and get a chance to walk the course before truly playing it gold/gold. Often that's because they're simply intermediate or worse skill wise, but even for 1000 rated players without knowing the correct landing zones you simply won't perform the way you'd like to. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, kinda thing will go through your head.*

Take that for what you will...the fairways are clear, signs are informative, paths between holes are noticeable, etc.

depends what you want to get out of Iron Hill and the amount of time you have to dedicate to it!

*I often compare rally driving courses [turns] to disc golf fairways. If you or anyone else is familiar, sometimes the tee sign will show an L4 when really it's an L6, or vice versa. Some times you see a left 3 long but really its a left 4 or left 2 long into left 3 or something...I digress. If you're unfamiliar the copilot in the car instructs the driver on unknown roads using a 1-6 number system. 1 is the tightest, 6 would be a gentle angle of foward motion.

Occasionally on holes here you simply can't be aware of what is out of sight regardless of the signs, like many other courses. if you're just having a good time by all means play whichever layout however you want, but if you're trying to go for the gold/gold record of your lifetime it's unachievable without at least a minimum of one practice round.

EDIT: when you're passing through the Deleware to NY/NJ section I'd love to throw with you!

Last edited by GripEnemy; 02-07-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 618
Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default best of 8 northeast States

"Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine"

Search by State, sort by Rating:
Delaware - Iron Hill the clear winner. I've played it, and concur.
New Jersey - Stafford, with Greystone, Woods not for behind. I've played neither.
Connecticut - Wickham, then Cranbury, Park. I played and enjoyed Wickham.
Rhode Island - Willow Valley. Only Ninigret existed when I played in R.I..
Massachusetts - Maple Hill leads a list of strong candidates, including just a disc's throw away Pyramids. I really liked both.
Vermont - the people say Smugglers Notch. And while I like it, I don't think it is quite the borderline top-25 in the world that its rating says it is.
New Hampshire - Whie the people say Salmon Falls, which does have some shining moments, I preferred Otter Brook.
Maine - there are a lot of great options, but Sabattus is where you need to go. I also liked Woodland Valley, and many others, too.

mid-September - mid-October would be a good window to play.

Northern Virginia and central Maryland have plenty of choice offerings as you make your way through.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
You don't need a local for playing Iron Hill ... depends what you want to get out of Iron Hill and the amount of time you have to dedicate to it!
Perfect. I'm not planning on setting any records on any of the courses, more just getting the experiences and having fun. Maybe I'll play 1 or 2 a second time on the way back south?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
EDIT: when you're passing through the Deleware to NY/NJ section I'd love to throw with you!
I'll keep you in mind when I'm finally able to get plans finalized.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Rather than offer further recommendations, I just want to point out that the "tour" will be in the northeast in late August and early September. Maple Hill, Greater Hartford Open, Worlds, Delaware Disc Golf Challenge...four weekends in a row, all played on courses that have been mentioned already as highlight stops for your trip. I don't say it to discourage you, but to say that all of those courses are apt to be in prime shape for those events and thus you'd be hitting them all at the perfect time. Just be aware of when each one is in relation to when you make the trip.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 35
Niced 14 Times in 5 Posts

If you need a tour around Iron Hill let me know. I can also let you know about the best times to play in or avoid tournaments etc.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.4
Courses Played: 358
Niced 103 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
1. Delaware: Iron Hill. New Jersey: Stafford Woods. Massachusetts: Maple Hill and Borderlands.
The above is correct plus I'd add Warwick in NY and Wickham in CT (which is literally 1 minute from I-84).

Old 02-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.4
Courses Played: 358
Niced 103 Times in 53 Posts

Smugglers in VT is out of the way but worth it, I'd put it in my top 10.

Niced: (2)