Old 04-20-2019, 01:43 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
How much distance difference do you find with those more forward style grips compared to power grip on something like mids/putters?
I’d guess it adds a couple mph to the ejection speed, on specific shots for drivers, but I STINK at using it on upshots and putter/mids, where I’m not typically trying to max out power.

If you’ve never thrown with th Bratten 2 finger, I strongly suggest it, if only to feel how different you can make your grip and how it affects the hit point.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:13 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

N00bs.

Goes back to tossing ions 300' pure as hell.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

Tried it today and instantly got 10m more distance. Happy now. :-)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts

Just FYI I've completely switched to this grip. No downsides for me so far.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 219 Times in 126 Posts

I gave this another shot today while practicing at the course and it opened my eyes to a few things.
  • I was getting an additional 20-30' from my Wasps and Comets right from the start.
  • I felt like I was getting a more athletic throw and getting over top of the disc more.
  • I had a hell of time controlling the nose angle of my disc. Nothing was skying out but there was more nose up than usual on my throws.
  • Very timing sensitive and my shots were progressively more erratic as I tired out.
  • Any distance gains were lost on my higher speed discs. I threw them last and I'm not sure if that's tied to the timing and fatigue mentioned above.

It's definitely something I'm going to work with going forward as it felt "right" for the most part. I'm hopeful that if I can iron out the timing and nose angle issues I'll have a better drive overall.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

So I just found this thread and I'm VERY intrigued by this.

But one thing I'm not sure I'm following is this idea of the wrist rolling under? I literally don't see their wrist rolling under at all. At least not in the way I'm thinking you guys mean "rolling under." I might be misunderstanding what you guys are trying to say here though.

Are you saying, in that first GIF of Nate, you believe his wrist rolls backwards/underneath? Like he is pronating his hand? Meaning if you are Nate, and looking at your hand that is 90* out in front of you, that he is actively trying to turn turn his hand like he's turning a key to the left or counter clockwise?!?!

Because that seems like it makes absolutely no sense in the quest to throw the disc nose down. Plus I don't see that at all. It looks like if anything is happening at all, it's that his wrist might bend backwards towards his body a bit, but I'm not seeing this roll under or over or anything at all. And once again, maybe I'm totally not even understanding what you guys are talking about. I'm just so intrigued about this and how it can possibly work. I keep reading over and over and over in order to throw far and straight, that the disc has to be thrown nose down, and if you grip the disc like this with your fingers hooked underneath like a suitcase and the thumb more on the flight plate, the disc is now no longer anywhere near in line with your forearm. So this whole idea and the actual physics of it is confusing as all get out.

But either way, weather I do or do not understand this and how it works, I'd love for someone to explain this a little more in detail and broken down for me so I can understand it and then try it out. Seems like a lot of people are producing some great throws with this grip style and that is always the goal. Thanks
Old 06-29-2019, 05:36 AM

Courses Played: 32
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Curious about what position disc rests on palm, because this looks like its lower than middle part and completely opposite what I have heard people teaching.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

When I am driving with more shallow driver discs I tend to do where the thumb is in line above the fingers on a power slant. now with shallow midrange both 4 & 5 I am a a 45 degree and with putter shaped midrange and Putters thumb is out more like on some peoples drives and how the disc is shaped is how I put thumb down, I do use a power slant if I am driving with a putter, slightly more open slant grip for a long approach shot and then a Putter grip, with index finger out under on rim and rest Down in a power slant. I have done in tight tunnels a drive using a straight fairway and my approach or putter grip or other bent tunnels to slow down the disc so I can hit the line I am shooting.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 502 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
So I just found this thread and I'm VERY intrigued by this.

But one thing I'm not sure I'm following is this idea of the wrist rolling under? I literally don't see their wrist rolling under at all. At least not in the way I'm thinking you guys mean "rolling under." I might be misunderstanding what you guys are trying to say here though.

Are you saying, in that first GIF of Nate, you believe his wrist rolls backwards/underneath? Like he is pronating his hand? Meaning if you are Nate, and looking at your hand that is 90* out in front of you, that he is actively trying to turn turn his hand like he's turning a key to the left or counter clockwise?!?!

Because that seems like it makes absolutely no sense in the quest to throw the disc nose down. Plus I don't see that at all. It looks like if anything is happening at all, it's that his wrist might bend backwards towards his body a bit, but I'm not seeing this roll under or over or anything at all. And once again, maybe I'm totally not even understanding what you guys are talking about. I'm just so intrigued about this and how it can possibly work. I keep reading over and over and over in order to throw far and straight, that the disc has to be thrown nose down, and if you grip the disc like this with your fingers hooked underneath like a suitcase and the thumb more on the flight plate, the disc is now no longer anywhere near in line with your forearm. So this whole idea and the actual physics of it is confusing as all get out.
Have you had a look at my DFP video it's in the the thread somewhere? It tries to answer a couple of these questions.

Edit, easier to link again, I can't find it in the thread.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Have you had a look at my DFP video it's in the the thread somewhere? It tries to answer a couple of these questions.

Edit, easier to link again, I can't find it in the thread.

Oh man! Thank you! I actually just watched this video of yours a day or two ago that helped me realize some SUPER simple stuff, but that is extremely critical to learning how to throw! The lunchbox drill and Loose Arm Drill might turn out to be HUGE for me in learning the basic idea of how the arm is supposed to work in the throw. It's not something a lot of people talk about. I think they assume we already know those ideas and are worried about more complicated advanced ideas. But here I am doing other things with my body well, but still can't feel the arm behave like a whip and really sling that disc out there. And I'm 100% sure that Loose Arm video of yours is going to help me a TON! So thanks

I've read stuff and watched a ton of videos, but sometimes, it just doesn't make any sense until someone shares it in a different or new way. And it's like I had a light bulb go off when I saw that Loose Arm drill and then the Lunch box drill as well. We'll see if I can translate it to actually throwing better, but at least I know it now. I know how simple the weight transfer should be, how my head should not be going outside of my legs, how my spine actually should tilt a little forward on the turn back, and tilt a little backward on the follow thru, and how my feet should feel when this is all done properly! Thanks for those man! REALLY helpful, and I'll watch that video you made on this grip later today.

I tried it out the DFP grip a few days ago without doing anything different and no joke, most of the throws were much straight and distance was slightly better. And overall, the throws were more repeatable and consistent.

Also need to try out your simple forehand tutorial as well. Mine is heinous and wobbly. Which is weird as I can throw a baseball really well, played golf, tennis, and hockey at a high level. But as I'm finding out, that means nothing in this game. It's almost like it's a curse as I have all these pre-configured body movements that I have ingrained over a long period of time, and now I have to learn some totally new different way of throwing something that is NOT intuitive at all, haha. But thanks to people like yourself and SW22, HUB, etc, us newbs are able to get better much quicker. So thanks man. Best